Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 12:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:01 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
If it has gone to another person then i think the police might be knocking on their door !!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:09 pm 

edders23 wrote:
If it has gone to another person then i think the police might be knocking on their door !!

not really, they didnt seek or ask for the money, they just spent it!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:46 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
wannabeeahack wrote:
edders23 wrote:

not really, they didnt seek or ask for the money, they just spent it!

Theft by keeping if you found a wad of cash in your vehicle and kept it and the person who lost that cash makes a complaint to the police you could be going to jail

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:50 pm 

They'd still have to give up their anonimity to make a formal complaint.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 4:55 pm 

Fair enough it is her mistake! but is the "Data Protection act" meant to act as a brick wall if fraud has gone on, as is the case with the recipient?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 6:18 pm 

cabby john wrote:
Fair enough it is her mistake! but is the "Data Protection act" meant to act as a brick wall if fraud has gone on, as is the case with the recipient?

What fraud has taken place? The recipient didn't ask for the money and did nothing illegal to receive it.

Someone mentioned "theft by finding", which may or may not be the case for money found in the street.
This is more akin to someone posting banknotes through your letterbox. :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:42 pm 

gusmac wrote:
cabby john wrote:

What fraud has taken place? The recipient didn't ask for the money and did nothing illegal to receive it.

Someone mentioned "theft by finding", which may or may not be the case for money found in the street.

or backing the wrong horse at the bookies......and asking the bookies for your money back

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:44 pm 

gusmac wrote:
cabby john wrote:

Ok I should have said theft ! It is not the same as money through your letter box - whereas the woman did not notice the money in her account going missing! I am sure that I would notice over 26K being credited to me that is obviously money that I would not be entitled to. I would guess if that was drugs money.........they would say that you/I are not entitled to it and that you must give it back - the fact that it might/might not be legal does not make you/I entitled to money that is not ours.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 7:48 pm 

cabby john wrote:
gusmac wrote:
cabby john wrote:

Ok I should have said theft ! It is not the same as money through your letter box - whereas the woman did not notice the money in her account going missing! I am sure that I would notice over 26K being credited to me that is obviously money that I would not be entitled to. I would guess if that was drugs money.........they would say that you/I are not entitled to it and that you must give it back - the fact that it might/might not be legal does not make you/I entitled to money that is not ours.

I think the law is if you give someone something it becomes theirs .......possesion is 9/10's of the law, the recipient can be asked to return it but are under no obligation, if someone gets an accidental overpayment of benefits they cant be forced to repay it either.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:03 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
I think the law is if you give someone something it becomes theirs .......possesion is 9/10's of the law, the recipient can be asked to return it but are under no obligation, if someone gets an accidental overpayment of benefits they cant be forced to repay it either.

I think you are wrong.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:21 pm 

grandad wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

I think you are wrong.

Most definately wrong! It was all over the "News" back a few years ago whereby thousands and thousands of families were over paid on "family credit"............they had to pay it back.

P.S.......The woman did not in the true meaning of the action of giving - actually give.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 8:47 pm 

, I rang the UK Payments Council, which oversees the payments system, in search of answers. It turned out that it is familiar with "erroneous transfers", which occur when somebody mistypes an account number or a sort code. "If that combination happens to belong to someone else, then that payment will go through to a third party," a spokewoman confirmed. "Although if they use that money, essentially they are committing theft," she warned. "No matter how much you need it or how much you want it, that money doesn't belong to you." Not even the interest? "No."

Not that good at copying things but its part of a article from the guardian last year

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:31 pm 

There was a "situation" at a place I worked. There were around 600 employees. Every week there would be up to 40 "errors" on the wages. Some were overpaid and others were underpaid. Myself, I was overpaid on my third week of employment. I clearly got paid someone elses wages because it was Christmas week and I was not entitled to any holiday pay due to being a new starter. I immediatly reported the error to my supervisor and I was told that it would be sorted the next week. I tried for 6 months to pay the money back but it seemed impossible. Like I say there were up to 40 errors a week happening. In the end the MD issued an amnesty and told employees that had been overpaid that they could keep the money. :mrgreen: I still can't make my mind up if the woman doing the wages was just incompetent or was using the "errors" to cover up a scam. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Mar 06, 2013 10:21 pm 

In the comments more "its not my fault" winkers...

please wipe my arrse too

Quote:
The Nationwide posted the cash to the wrong account, automatic checks by any half decent system should have at least highlighted the anomaly of incorrect account data being entered by the customer. It is the Nationwide at fault for not checking data adequately. It is they who should take ownership of the problem. Yet another case of a financial a organisation handling things in a derelict way, and blaming someone else ! They write their own rules these days don't they ? The person who spent the cash, knew it was credited incorrectly, should be prosecuted for theft. Unless their accounts show a cash balance large enough to pay it all back and they could have possibly have made such a personal error. [Assuming the Nationwide's system is not completely useless, there should be adequate record of all withdrawals, and to whom made.] I would also be inclined to sack the systems team who are ultimately responsibility for such a shoddy data checking system.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2013 1:37 pm 

another thought

if i pay on line by BACS from my bank, i have to enter the details, and before sending the money it asks if the details are correct, so she ignored that as well....