Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:14 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:46 pm 

The food scandal that is going on leads me to think about all of the drivers who might grab a quick bite whilst out at work, any old junk, any old junk, any any old junk Or was that iron.....cant remember :wink:

At the moment it is horse meat that has been found, not a big problem as such, just not what is acceptable to Brits in terms of eating.

But! have we been cannibals (unintentionally)? After all "Sweeney Todd" was a bad boy and no one as such seemed to immediately pick up on it. I have seen some of the disgusting (I think) animal mulch /carcass being churned out of machines on T.V, and it looks pretty gross. Having seen that, can anyone visually identify what it might have been??

Sorry to bring this up, but how many people go missing every year ??? no doubt a very steady supply, and more to the point....................what a way to dispose of them :shock: :shock: :shock:...................the pies are off of the menu, for a while :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 12:59 pm 

I reckon if you wanted to get rid of a body feeding it to the pigs would be a good start, that aside I think you may be a little paranoid :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:06 pm 

toots wrote:
I reckon if you wanted to get rid of a body feeding it to the pigs would be a good start, that aside I think you may be a little paranoid :wink:

We are talking about criminals :shock: :shock:

I have had a talk with myself :oops: and we both agree that we are not paranoid, and neither do we have schizophrenic tendencies....................however we do agree that it leaves a nasty taste in the mouth :doubt:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:26 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
From what i am told here is how it works

The real beef leaves the supplier in the lorry properly checked and certified the lorry driver diverts to a remote farm/warehouse on route the criminal gangs substitute cheap horsemeat for part of the cargo bung the driver his "bonus" and off he goes with paperwork that says his cargo is beef the criminal gangs then have a nice network of people they can flog the beef to and if you have ever been to Romania you would realise that probably more than half the population couldn't normally afford beef !

The meat is delivered to the french company who might well realise they have been duped but rather than lose a lot of money they palm it off down the supply chain especially if they know that it is heading for the UK where checks are probably not very rigorous.

I very much doubt human flesh enters the food chain the money is in flogging the high quality meat

these sort of scandals occur regularly usually involving meat which is Unfit for human consumption being sold for pies and kebabs from what I understand apart from the risk of residue veterinary drugs horsemeat is quite healthy it's just we Brits regard horses almost the same way as Hindu's revere cows

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:31 pm 

its all you hear on the radio they never give it a break . horse meat this and horse meat that, really its not going to kill you

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 1:47 pm 

I don't have a problem with horse meat or any meat for that matter so long as I know what I'm eating at the time. I do however object to paying for one thing and getting another :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:14 pm 

Its not the horse meat too worry about,its all the other [edited by admin] they pump into food. Especially all those ready meals trans fats and other nasties.Personally never eat ready meals/tv dinners whatever there called.My body is a temple ! (of doom) :D

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2013 2:29 pm 

Cooking from scratch is the best way but even then you can't always know what has been put on veg or in the meat

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:27 am 

In the main many of us eat cheap sh** food. The cheaper the better.

And now we know why some of it is cheap. :sad:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 7:36 am 

There was a burger stall on our market yesterday. It had a sign with the type of burger that were available. There was the usual beefburger, there was Kangaroo and Ostrich burgers as well. The stall owner also put Horse burger on the list but wrote next to it......................."SOLD OUT". =D> Well it made me laugh.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 am 

Two UK plants raided over horsemeat

Britain found itself back at the centre of the horsemeat scandal on Tuesday when regulators raided two UK plants after kebab meat and beef burgers sold in local fast food shops were found to contain horsemeat.

It marked the first time a British slaughterhouse has been implicated in the European-wide scandal, which has been traced back, at various stages in the chain, to Romanian abattoirs and French and Irish producers.

The environment department and the Food Standards Agency said on Tuesday that production had been suspended immediately at a West Yorkshire abattoir and a Welsh processing facility after horsemeat was found in products linked to the plants.

As the scandal widened, Waitrose became the latest supermarket to withdraw a meat product after tests revealed pork in its own-brand beef meatballs.

Owen Paterson, environment secretary, was set to meet officials and politicians from other European Union countries on Wednesday as policymakers try to get to grips with a crisis that threatens to spill beyond supermarkets to the restaurant and catering industries.

Mr Paterson told parliament he would work with EU colleagues on a co-ordinated response. “It is clear that complex cross-European supply networks are involved in these incidents,” he said, adding that, Comigel, a French company linked to the scandal, was supplying customers in 16 European countries.

He told MPs during a Commons debate that “too much is taken on trust” when it comes to verifying meat supplies.

The FSA said the UK plant under investigation was the Peter Boddy Licensed Slaughterhouse, which is thought to have supplied horse carcases to Farmbox Meats in Aberystwyth. Peter Boddy declined to comment; Farmbox could not be reached for comment on Tuesday evening.

Andrew Rhodes, FSA director of operations, said he was shocked to discover that horsemeat was being passed off as beef.

“I ordered an audit of all horse producing abattoirs in the UK after this issue first arose last month and I was shocked to uncover what appears to be a blatant misleading of consumers,” he said.

Mr Paterson said the allegations against UK producers were “absolutely shocking”.

“It’s totally unacceptable if any business in the UK is defrauding the public by passing off horsemeat as beef. I expect the full force of the law to be brought down on anyone involved in this kind of activity.”

The Welsh minister for agriculture, Alun Davies, said: “Integrity and trust are essential in the food chain. I would be appalled if these allegations are proven.”

Farmers point finger at cost-cutting

While the government has blamed the horsemeat scandal on a “criminal conspiracy”, many farmers see it as a symptom of a low-cost food culture encouraged by aggressive supermarkets and hard-pressed consumers, writes Louise Lucas .

“If you consistently buy something below the price at which it can be produced, you must know that corners have been cut in quality or safety, or legality, or all three,” says Richard Longthorp, farmer and president of the National Pig Association.

Pressure to lower costs coupled with increasingly complex supply chains has been exploited by unscrupulous operators in many areas of the food industry.

UK inspectors are regularly called out to investigate sacks of expensive basmati rice bulked out with cheaper grains, and olive oil diluted with vegetable oil.

Yet, just as risks are increasing, regulators’ ability to catch offenders is being threatened by budget cuts.

The number of UK meat inspectors has roughly halved since the 1990s peak to 800 – although the Food Standards Agency argues this has been offset by increased efficiency.

The number of tests carried out on food samples has fallen by 13 per cent a year in each of the past two years.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:40 am 

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that this is what happens when you have an industry which is either incorrectly regulated - or not regulated at all - or have regulators who are either underfunded or incompetent. Sounds a little like the cab industry.

I cant currently hear those businesses shout out for deregulation - and those idiots in UKIP still seem to be blaming those nasty Europeans ](*,)

This is what happens ffs - we have learned feck all since the BSE crisis.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:48 am 

The reason why it's come to this is the bone idle society where people won't stand and cook a decent healthy meal, they want it for minimum effort which includes putting it into the microwave and it's done.

Why don't they stand at the cooker for a few hours a week and cook a decent meal with real UK meat? With the leftovers they can survive a good few days by making meals and freezing them for the rest of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 12:30 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
grandad wrote:
There was a burger stall on our market yesterday. It had a sign with the type of burger that were available. There was the usual beefburger, there was Kangaroo and Ostrich burgers as well. The stall owner also put Horse burger on the list but wrote next to it......................."SOLD OUT". =D> Well it made me laugh.

Ostrich burgers are quite nice and meant to be much healthier than beef !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 1:07 pm 

the two issues are

If I buy beef, I want beef

and

what drugs were given to the horses for whatever when they were not supposed to enter the food chain