Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 10:27 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: private hire rent
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:01 pm 

hi could any body tell me is 225 per week for the rent of a ph cab all in expensive :?:

Post subject: Re: private hire rent
PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:30 pm 

Depends where you are. Have look around during the day and evening to see what work's around. You've got to do a lot of work to cover that sort of rent.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:36 pm 

sounds expensive to me

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:41 pm 

dunk wrote:
hi could any body tell me is 225 per week for the rent of a ph cab all in expensive :?:

If you are taking £300 a week then yes, if you are taking £1000+ then no.

The issue isn't always what your expenses are, it's what your income is.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 8:52 pm 

all in?

radio
road tax
car
insurance
plate
repairs
tyres

you put fuel in?

if you take £1000 a week its fair

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 9:02 pm 

if you look at it like that its not tobad

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:03 pm 

dunk wrote:
if you look at it like that its not tobad

As mentioned, what matters is what's in your pocket at the end of the week.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:09 pm 

£225! sound a;lot to me for just a week that's like 3 days of my work, or 4 at bad times but £225 is a bit to much especially for a private i would still be surprised if it was that much for a general with a radio in

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:25 pm 

Depends on the area and the radio circuit round here you'll pay £300 a week all in or thereabouts from one of the big companies

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:32 pm 

We don't have 'all in' here, the cars are rented from one person and then you have to pay the insurance yourself and fuel and then you have to pay your radio. The rent of the vehicle is £85/£100 per week depending on age and fuel type

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 12:42 am 

thanks guys for your help =D>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 1:52 am 

I lease full time and I used to pay 210 all in then the company sold all the cars to one of those claim companies,now i drive the same car and pay 138 to the claim company and 87 rent to the base=225 :sad:

I dont work as hard as i used to and 225 is a bit of a stinger but if you crack the hours in its fair enough,working normal day hours 5am-2/3pm mon-wed after fuel pays the 225 and then thu-sat is mine,its not great but its a wage and a car for normal hours,its better than working a factory and running a vehicle

its not great round here but you just make a wage and get a free car,a friend of mine just put his own ph on he pays 87 rent,80 a week insurance :shock: and then with the repairs and plates hassle of people damaging your own car and son on he comes out just ahead of me but not much,and this is assuming the car isnt on finance....these days im happy lease and let someone else worry about it

when i started 18 years ago i used to pay 100 quid all in for 24 hours :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:01 am 

gbone wrote:
I lease full time and I used to pay 210 all in then the company sold all the cars to one of those claim companies,now i drive the same car and pay 138 to the claim company and 87 rent to the base=225 :sad:

I dont work as hard as i used to and 225 is a bit of a stinger but if you crack the hours in its fair enough,working normal day hours 5am-2/3pm mon-wed after fuel pays the 225 and then thu-sat is mine,its not great but its a wage and a car for normal hours,its better than working a factory and running a vehicle

its not great round here but you just make a wage and get a free car,a friend of mine just put his own ph on he pays 87 rent,80 a week insurance :shock: and then with the repairs and plates hassle of people damaging your own car and son on he comes out just ahead of me but not much,and this is assuming the car isnt on finance....these days im happy lease and let someone else worry about it

when i started 18 years ago i used to pay 100 quid all in for 24 hours :mrgreen:

Round here rentals are some of the most expensive in the UK, £270 a week for a full rental car and £168 for a half rental car (sharing with another driver). I don't know how they can get to such a figure when there's not much work about.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 6:52 am 

Nidge2 wrote:

Round here rentals are some of the most expensive in the UK, £270 a week for a full rental car and £168 for a half rental car (sharing with another driver). I don't know how they can get to such a figure when there's not much work about.

it dosent seem to be relative to the work availiable here either, its what they have to charge to make it profitable

like i say our base owner sold all of his cars due to insurance and repair costs charging 210 or 150 half lease it was not worth his while considering a lot of cars would need upgrading soon.....regardless of how much we take he wants a profit which is totally understandable.

I dont even think of decent money anymore if i can come out of the week with a couple of hundred and a free vehicle its bearable and thats about as good as it gets.

years ago you could run a cheap but reliable car maybe a grand and swap every year or two and it was no problem at £10 per week insurance,£50-60 base rent and takings were the same if not more than now.

nowadays a car has to be relatively new (either a big layout or a finance deal hanging over your head) insurance and rent is sky high and takings are down.

just lately I wouldnt dream of investing thousands to do this job,I would rather lose a bit each week,lease off someone and not be financially invested in it,and when the day comes that its impossible to make a living I will bow out gracefully :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2013 9:14 am 

For a 24/7 PH rental down here the rates are £150-225 a week. The £150 a week vehicles are basically licensed sh**.

For a 24/7 taxi rental down here the rates are about £500 a week. These motors are driven by people working 100 hours a week. :sad: