Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Crap Lawn
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:43 pm 

My grass lawn looks crap

I bought this house toward the end of winter and haven't done anything with the lawn out back since. Well my father-in-law cut it once. The point is its in dire shape and I want to do something about it, so I thought I'd keep a note of what I've tried, what works and what doesn't.

So, what's the problem? Well, I have some grass, as in its green and my kids can play on it, but its full of weeds, with some thistles, is patchy in parts and mainly full of moss and clover in other parts. What would I like to achieve? I'm not after a bowling green here, just a hard wearing surface that I can cut once a week in the summer and my kids can safely play on. Below are some pictures of the problem.

So far I have done nothing more than cut it twice this year leaving about 2.5 inches of grass. My plan is to weed and feed and possibly re-seed certain areas of the lawn, combined with regular medium length cuts so it doesn't dry out too much, but keeps some of the weeds and moss at bay. Not rocket science, but.....

Spring Time and Lawn Mowing

Wow the lawn certainly grows rapidly during spring time! I'll cut all the grass at the weekend and by wednesday its already too long again! All this rain and sunshine must be really giving the grass a growth spurt. Unfortunately it still has tonnes of moss, weeds and the whole lawn is incredibly bumpy

Getting rid of the Grass Moss

First job is to remove the moss in the grass. Easy task I thought, but its actually very tiring. The best method I found was to simply rake the grass vigorously with a rake (I believe this is called Lawn Scarifying) . This picks up all the moss but tends to leave most of the grass behind. After about an hour of raking I was exhausted, but had got rid of most of the most.

BUT, how patchy does the lawn look now?!?! It appears that in certain areas I had absolutely no grass to start with, it was all just moss. And now that i have removed all the moss I'm left with a whole load of bare dirt. This calls for grass seed...

Sowing Grass Seed

Bought some grass seed, threw it all over the lawn and waited a few weeks

Sowing Grass Seed Properly

Okay so the first lot of grass seed did nothing, the birds ate most of it and the rest is just sat on top of the hardened soil resolutely refusing to sprout anything that resembles grass. This time I'll read the grass seed instructions!

It appears that grass tends not to grow that easily from seed and the soil needs a little bit of preparation first!! All the bare patches needs to have the top layer of soil disturbed a little (using a grass rake and sometime a fork or hoe), then the seeds should be sown and finally a thin layer of dirt racked over the top.

Grass Begins to Grow

At last, the grass seeds are growing! Most of the large dirt areas are now a sea of green but there are still a few batches that are looking distinctly bare. Instead of going to the effort of raking and digging these areas up again I came up with a better plan. I took one bag of compost and mixed it with half a box of grass seed and then simply distributed this grass/compost mix over all the remaining bald batches. This seems to have really done the trick with the grass quickly establishing itself in these areas.

What about the Grass Weeds?

With my new fledgling grass shoots on their way I turned my attention to the weeds. First of all I tackled the big dandelions by digging them up, trying to get as much of the root out as possible. This often left quite a large gap in the grass which was repaired using the grass seed/compost combination as before.

However the smaller weeds were taking too long to dig up one by one so I opted for the chemical approach. One tub of Feed, weed and moss killer later (some of the moss was coming back) my grass was completely covered in a cocktail of chemicals intended to give me the perfect lawn.

Chemicals on Grass

A few days later the chemicals seem to be doing their trick, the lawn has grown at a phenomenal rate needing mowing twice in one week, the bigger weeds look pretty sickly and a load of moss has turned black and died. I raked more of the moss up and then had to do the usual trick of filling in the patches with compost and grass seed.

Flattening the Lawn

With the grass itself looking pretty healthy now I decided to tackle the lumps and bumps that are on the lawn. My first attempt consisted of throwing some dirt over the dips in the grass. As soon as it rained I ended up with a whole load of mud covering the grass leading to a horrible sticky mess. However it did seem to get rid of a few of the larger dips and the grass quickly grew through it.

As a follow up I decided that sand would be much better for filling in the holes as it would trickle down to the low spots, through the grass blades and generally make a lot less mess. I also figured that it would improve the drainage of the soil somewhat.

Using sand to flatten the lawn

It took quite a lot of bags of sand (4) but the garden is now pretty much lightly dusted with the stuff, some of the really big dips are still there but the whole things looks a lot better. The grass is quite nice to walk on now, certainly a lot less muddy when it is wet!

The large lumps and bumps are still present and I intend to remove them by digging up various bit of turf and shifting soil around but that sounds like a big project for another day.

Aerating the soil

As a final treat to the grass I decided to aerate the whole lawn using a fork. I just worked up and down the lawn area sticking the fork into the soft ground (it had just rained), giving the soil a bit of a tug upward and then moving onto the next patch of grass. It seems to have worked well, the whole drainage is a lot better and the grass doesn't seem at all upset by having its roots disturbed in this way.

Crap Lawn ; http://www.whatprice.co.uk/lawn/crap-lawn-blog.html

Post subject: Re: Crap Lawn
PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:00 pm 

I always put a few gallons of really cheap lager/beer on my lawn in the autumn, that way, it comes up half cut in the spring !!!!!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2013 4:55 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I bet it doesn't smell of roses either |

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 1:46 pm 

How to a Seed Boosting Solution

We all have a neighbor who seems to have a green thumb--on steroids. Her tulips bloom earlier, his tomatoes are the size of softballs when yours are still green and her lawn is ready for mowing while the seeds you've sown are still just sitting there. Well, Grandpa knew a few things about giving seeds an strong start and you can use a home made seed starting solution that gave his lawn and garden a fast start. Does this Spark an idea?

Things You'll Need

Tea bag

Water

Glass jar

Instructions

1 Make yourself a cup of tea. Then make a second using the same tea bag. Use regular black tea as it has the tannins required for this use. Drink the first cup of tea. Put the second in a large glass jar. Pour your grass seed into the jar. Fill just to the top of the grass seed with water, cover and refrigerate for three days.

2 Find a nice dusty part of the garage or basement, free of oil stains, that needs to be swept. Lift the seed out of the jar by handfuls and cast upon the floor. Sweep it around in the dust until well coated. The cold storage convinces the seed that it's winter time and the dust on the warm floor is its signal to start growing.

3 Sweep the dust-coated grass seed up with a stiff-bristled broom into a dustpan and spread on your prepared lawn. This gives your seed a coating to keep it warm. The tea solution and dirt coat jump-start germination. Your grass should pop up within a few days.

4 Know that many large seeds, such as morning glory, benefit from a soaking before planting. Be sure to read up on each variety before using the starter solution. Some require light to germinate, in which case they should be put on a cool windowsill (never near a heat vent or radiator) for a couple of days instead of a refrigerator. Check unrefrigerated seeds often for signs of mold.

http://www.ehow.com/how_2308978_a-seed- ... ution.html

After a great deal of thought I decided to go with this idea. Sure, I made a couple of pots of tea and emptied that into a bucket - then placed in the seeds and gave it a stir - which are a slight change to the above - so fingers crossed that tommorrow I'd have something I can place on my recently scarified lawn - with a liberal amount of top dressing. =D>

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2013 2:44 pm 

Gardens are for sunloungers, BBQ and beer

next door has chopped down all the bushes so we are now planting a "new forest" cos we have no privacy, her face is a picture, hopefully we wont see it much longer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 12:58 pm 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rzenr7lZyGo

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:34 pm 

You could dig it all up and fit an Afro turf one end of all your problems :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 1:47 pm 

The best way by far is to double-dig the lawn and mix the soil with black peat, fine grit and 6X manure mixed with water. It stinks to high heaven, but after you have laid your new lawn it will grow and thrive for many years.

Brummie Cabbie.

Type a message, post your news,
Disagree with other members' views;
But please, do have some decorum,
When debating on the TDO Forum.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 2:01 pm 

skippy41 wrote:

afro turf? :lol:

astroturf surely?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Skippy not like you to be the racist on here ? :badgrin:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 3:19 pm 

captain cab wrote:
skippy41 wrote:

afro turf? :lol:

astroturf surely?

The second one :oops: :oops: :oops: FFS I had just got up :lol:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 03, 2013 11:13 pm 

well its been scarified - seeded - and top dressed

this was after a few hours in the police station on some trumped up charge of racial harassment in asking a black guy for the stuff skippy suggested

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 7:44 am 

Hoss shit it will be green in weeks.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:11 am 

captain cab wrote:
well its been scarified - seeded - and top dressed

this was after a few hours in the police station on some trumped up charge of racial harassment in asking a black guy for the stuff skippy suggested

Isn't it a bit early to be sowing grass seed?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:37 am 

grandad wrote:
Isn't it a bit early to be sowing grass seed?

No - we have a tropical climate up here :wink: