Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:37 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help am in big trouble
PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:08 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
This is quite bizarre but could cost me my badge

Went to Morrisons at 14.30 today to fuel up and get a jerry can of fuel to take out to a driver who had run out of fuel. Just as I finished I went to the door of my car to grab my money bag to go in and pay. As I did a woman came striding towards me and stopped right at the door of the car made a couple of sarcastic comments about me picking up the cash bag and as i went in proceeded to get a mobile phone out and photograph the readings on the pump and then walked around the petrol station taking more photos and staring at me and the vehicle.

I spoke to the staff inside who said she was working for a promotions company. As I came out she was still staring at the registration plate of my car and took photos of it.

Subsequently we have received a phone call from the company she worked for accusing me of harassing the woman. They made it clear that they would be making a formal complaint to the licensing authority and to Morrisons supermarket

I am flabbergasted to say the least the only thing I might have done wrong was get in her way when she was doing something necessary for her work but if that is the case why did she not wait a moment until I had headed into the shop to pay. I did not speak to her but she certainly spoke to me in a very nasty tone

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:26 pm 

edders23 wrote:
This is quite bizarre but could cost me my badge

Went to Morrisons at 14.30 today to fuel up and get a jerry can of fuel to take out to a driver who had run out of fuel. Just as I finished I went to the door of my car to grab my money bag to go in and pay. As I did a woman came striding towards me and stopped right at the door of the car made a couple of sarcastic comments about me picking up the cash bag and as i went in proceeded to get a mobile phone out and photograph the readings on the pump and then walked around the petrol station taking more photos and staring at me and the vehicle.

I spoke to the staff inside who said she was working for a promotions company. As I came out she was still staring at the registration plate of my car and took photos of it.

Subsequently we have received a phone call from the company she worked for accusing me of harassing the woman. They made it clear that they would be making a formal complaint to the licensing authority and to Morrisons supermarket

I am flabbergasted to say the least the only thing I might have done wrong was get in her way when she was doing something necessary for her work but if that is the case why did she not wait a moment until I had headed into the shop to pay. I did not speak to her but she certainly spoke to me in a very nasty tone

Morrisons cctv at their filling stations is one of the best,call back and ask to see cctv recording which will show that you were the person being harassed.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:57 am 

already thought of that the woman was working for a contractor to Morrisons and no police involvement therefore CCTV not available without a court injunction and I haven't got a spare £10000 lying around

had she made the complaint to the police that might have been a realistic avenue

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:51 am 

So it will be her word against yours.
Can't see a court upholding any decision made by your council to take your badge. If the council want to go that far then maybe the cctv will need to be made available.
One of our drivers was recently involved in a disagreement with another person (not taxi related) it was reported to both the police and the council but no action was taken because of no independent witnesses.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 5:34 pm 

Make a complaint to Morrisons about YOU being harassed - they dont like bad publicity and the promotions company won't want to risk losing a contract over a trivial matter.

You can make a request for the video to the data controller (much like if it was cctv in a taxi) and they have to supply it, possibly for an admin fee (or does that only apply to public bodies?)

Don't worry it wont go any further, if it does youve done nothing wrong. Remember you dont have to provide any information to either Morrisons or the promotions company, and have a duty under data protection as well not to give out personal details. Of course you could be willing to supply details for an admin fee, say £500.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:17 pm 

Seems you can request any CCTV footage of yourself and only be charged a maximum of £10 for it.

https://www.gov.uk/request-cctv-footage-of-yourself

Would be interesting to know the exact grounds for the woman's harassment complaint, though. I mean, why would she "photograph the readings on the pump"?

But suspect if the complaint is escalated then Edders will have heard from his council by now, so no point in over-speculating at this stage until the precise details of the complaint are known.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:53 pm 

council won't say what they intend to do

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:51 pm 

If you haven't done anything to her then nothing will happen to you.

Put the name of the firm up here and we can find out who you can complain to about them.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 8:55 am 

Sussex wrote:

Put the name of the firm up here and we can find out who you can complain to about them.

thats the problem they wouldn't identify themselves on the phone and Morrisons won't either GDPR/Confidentiality

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:58 am 

I reckon if Pc Plods not been not knocking at your door already then nothings going to come of it.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:01 pm 

where there is smoke there is fire...... :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 2:43 pm 

I know it’s easy for me to say but I really don’t think you have too much to worry about. Certainly look into getting a copy of the cctv footage and take it from there. The fact no complaint has been made to the police has to be a good sign.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

thats the problem they wouldn't identify themselves on the phone and Morrisons won't either GDPR/Confidentiality

The council have to give you her details to make the complaint formal.

Even cabbies are allowed to question their accusers.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 4:04 am 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I think you can ask to face your accuser to.

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:26 am 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Not sure about this.