Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 9:03 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:22 am 

We've had some fun in Chester this last week. A little backstory: last year the main Chester PH firm bought out the second biggest to create a single firm with the vast majority of the Chester PH trade.

The PH trade being what it is, lots of drivers don't own their own cars, they hire them from one of a couple of local rental places, the big PH firm even has their own. What has happened in this case is that the largest car rental outfit rented a couple of cars to a new start up PH firm and the owner of the big firm was not amused, as a result they have instructed all of their drivers to return their cars and rent only direct from them or an "approved" place or find somewhere else to work, this is close to 200 drivers from what I've heard. They've also apparently told any owner drivers that have their cars serviced there that they can either stop or go work elsewhere.

This has all been going off on Facebook, apparently the local MP has written to the Council Chief Exec for answers. I've no skin in this game as I own my own HC and don't play the silly PH games, but this was just too funny not to share, just need to get some more popcorn to watch it all unfold.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 11:51 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
think there might be a big fine looming the drivers have the choice BY LAW

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:06 pm 

edders23 wrote:
think there might be a big fine looming the drivers have the choice BY LAW

Couldn't come to a nicer bunch, as I understand they're also under investigation for taking compensation from the council for loss of school contracts during Corona but not passing any of this money onto the drivers that actually did the contracts.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 1:56 pm 

I think it’s more to do with WHO has started the P/H firm! (they’re an airport transfer company that’s expanding into P/H) There’s an even bigger backstory there. :roll:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:00 pm 

Seems fair, you dont bite the hand that feeds you

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:28 pm 

Quote:
This has all been going off on Facebook, apparently the local MP has written to the Council Chief Exec for answers. I've no skin in this game as I own my own HC and don't play the silly PH games, but this was just too funny not to share, just need to get some more popcorn to watch it all unfold.

The world is falling apart, thousands of old dears are dying, and these idiots want to play silly buggers telling drivers, pseudo self-employed drivers, what they can do and who they can't rent cars from nor service their motors.

Love the competition folks to get involved with this one.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 8:31 pm 

Karga wrote:
Couldn't come to a nicer bunch, as I understand they're also under investigation for taking compensation from the council for loss of school contracts during Corona but not passing any of this money onto the drivers that actually did the contracts.

I very much doubt they are unique in that. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:54 pm 

As I eluded to earlier, there is lot more to this story than what meets the eye, unfortunately, I’m not going to go into details on an open forum but suffice to say there is no love lost between the owner of the ‘big’ P/H company and one of the people behind the new venture. I think the P/H owner has every right to say which cars are allowed on his fleet and which aren’t, but as for dictating where owners have their cars serviced etc, I think that’s a step too far.

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 4:44 am 

Sounds like some competition law stuff going on here, restraint of trade etc.

And, I mean, if the drivers are genuiniely self-employed then what's it got to do with the firm where they source their motors? Would be a good argument in any litigation about employment status.

Anyway, has the firm got 200 cars ready to roll when the current ones are handed back? :-s

PostPosted: Wed Jul 08, 2020 5:59 am 

Quote:
Anyway, has the firm got 200 cars ready to roll when the current ones are handed back?

in the current depression why would they need them ?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2020 10:25 pm 

This “game” between the private hire company and the settle company is now starting to hit innocent drivers. One guy who rents his cab from them has lost his £400 a week contract (given to him by the P/H company) and been kicked off the fleet because he hasn’t given up his cab.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 9:52 am 

From the bits I've seen on FB, the rental company pulled their cars from the new P/H company as soon as the big one threatened to bin them off but the big one went ahead and blacklisted them anyway while refusing to talk to the owners of the car rental company. So now the rental company is throwing adverts up for rival P/H companies up all over facebook. It's all very mad.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 3:52 pm 

sounds like someone threw all their toys out of the pram and may well live to rue the day !

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 5:21 pm 

This is why I've never been PH,far too much back stabbing and blue eyed boys palarva.Over the 30 years of my service they may have made more money than me but,being my own man without being beholden to anybody is more important.

PostPosted: Fri Jul 10, 2020 10:45 pm 

The cynic in me thinks someone has an ulterior motive here. (ie, the big P/H owner!) they have always had a ‘special relationship’ with one of the ‘approved’ settle companies and have also started to expand their own settle service. I think they’re using this ‘kerfuffle’ as an excuse to monopolise the settle side as well as wanting to be the only players in town.