Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 5:57 pm 

Hi all,

We have been petitioning East Midlands Railways to pause the Sheffield Train Station taxi permit renewal of £618 during covid/lockdown. In October they stated that their earnings were down by 97% but the “Government is carrying all revenue and cost risk of operating the railway during these unprecedented times. As a result, we must also take steps to protect the taxpayer as well as the commercial viability of the business.” Therefore were going to continue to ask taxi drivers to renew and give 2 months free at the end.

This is despite them knowing there is little to no trade with their admission they are 97% down on earnings. Given the new lockdown we asked them to reconsider as payments will start on 6/11 they have responded stating that the renewals will continue and we’re very considerate to add “we believe it will be very safe as the concourse will be very quiet and there will be plenty of space for the taxi drivers to social distance.” They know they have little to no trade and in turn that means taxi drivers will have little to no trade but are still wanting to charge us £618. We’re in a catch 22 as if we don’t renew there is always a long waiting list to be added back on. People don’t want to risk not having the permit for when normal trade resumes.

MPs are involved since September and I’ve wrote to mine again this morning but EMR are unwilling to budge. What is happening elsewhere?

Nikki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 6:37 pm 

BladeS1 wrote:
Hi all,

We have been petitioning East Midlands Railways to pause the Sheffield Train Station taxi permit renewal of £618 during covid/lockdown. In October they stated that their earnings were down by 97% but the “Government is carrying all revenue and cost risk of operating the railway during these unprecedented times. As a result, we must also take steps to protect the taxpayer as well as the commercial viability of the business.” Therefore were going to continue to ask taxi drivers to renew and give 2 months free at the end.

This is despite them knowing there is little to no trade with their admission they are 97% down on earnings. Given the new lockdown we asked them to reconsider as payments will start on 6/11 they have responded stating that the renewals will continue and we’re very considerate to add “we believe it will be very safe as the concourse will be very quiet and there will be plenty of space for the taxi drivers to social distance.” They know they have little to no trade and in turn that means taxi drivers will have little to no trade but are still wanting to charge us £618. We’re in a catch 22 as if we don’t renew there is always a long waiting list to be added back on. People don’t want to risk not having the permit for when normal trade resumes.

MPs are involved since September and I’ve wrote to mine again this morning but EMR are unwilling to budge. What is happening elsewhere?

Nikki

Lincoln station is £600 from August. No pay, no play. CCTV watching over the station forecourt. Just had a letter from EMR giving us a two month extension, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:21 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
but still a little unfair how about a 2 month free extension on the current permit which would help drivers now not when it is all over and back to normal!

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:39 pm 

That’s what we’ve said better to pause the renewal payment. In the letters and emails to us they are saying there’s no trade at the station then asking us to pay it all in one go. I don’t know how they get away with it. I have never seen a contract from them. Wasn’t sure if there was anything that would help us in the contract.

Even if they said pay a monthly amount that would go down better than paying the whole year upfront. In today’s email the station manager had the consideration and helpfulness to add firm to come to the station to pay for the renewal as it’s very quiet on the concourse rub it in why don’t you!!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 7:57 pm 

Quote:
What is happening elsewhere?

I suspect drivers, in the main, that pay the crazy permit prices will continue to pay those crazy permit prices.

The station companies do not give a f***.

It's the same with the airport parking/dropping fees. The less busy the airport is the more they want to screw the trade to get some money back.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:25 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Quote:
What is happening elsewhere?

I suspect drivers, in the main, that pay the crazy permit prices will continue to pay those crazy permit prices.

The station companies do not give a f***.

It's the same with the airport parking/dropping fees. The less busy the airport is the more they want to screw the trade to get some money back.

If everyone could get road tolls (which drop off or pick up ) fees put on their tariff table punters would have to legally pay them, they will be unhappy and could kick up a fuss with airport authorities which may create such momentum similar to a 39 Degrees protest that they take notice and scrap them.
One day you are going to be charged as a passenger after paying your fare to be carried from A to B to alight from the train at station B, there will be a gate or turnstile at the platform exit where you have to pay the toll. Greedy operators will try anything unless people protest, public is constantly fleeced by burying their heads in the sand and doing nothing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 8:59 pm 

Hi,

The problem is the waiting list if you don’t renew for when normal trade does resume. Does anyone have a copy of any contract with EMR for the taxi permit as I’m sure the renewal during covid would fall into the unfair contract act.

Thanks
Nikki

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 9:23 pm 

BladeS1 wrote:
Hi,

The problem is the waiting list if you don’t renew for when normal trade does resume. Does anyone have a copy of any contract with EMR for the taxi permit as I’m sure the renewal during covid would fall into the unfair contract act.

Thanks
Nikki

If Taxi Companies can lower track fees surely Network Rail can lower station fees?

PostPosted: Wed Nov 04, 2020 10:15 pm 

EMR are unwilling to budge despite the dire circumstances for the taxi drivers.

I wonder if there is anything contractually that can stop them. As I said I’ve never seen a contract.

Thanks

Nikki

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 4:29 pm 

BladeS1 wrote:
EMR are unwilling to budge despite the dire circumstances for the taxi drivers.

I wonder if there is anything contractually that can stop them. As I said I’ve never seen a contract.

Thanks

Nikki

I very much doubt there is a clause in the contract for reductions/repayments for health situations that we currently have.

I think a demo with the press attending, maybe the MP will help, but there is nothing legally, IMO, that can make them review the payments.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 05, 2020 7:04 pm 

Found this article on the Taxi-Point website, which sort of says where Ministers stand. Not good for the trade. :sad:

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/gover ... nk-permits

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 7:41 pm 

Thanks Sussex. It’s unfortunate they can’t help us out at this time. We have said we’ll pay when trade picks up.

I’m surprised they can get away with it contractually surely this should be classed as an unfair contract.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 06, 2020 8:41 pm 

BladeS1 wrote:
Thanks Sussex. It’s unfortunate they can’t help us out at this time. We have said we’ll pay when trade picks up.

I’m surprised they can get away with it contractually surely this should be classed as an unfair contract.

I know the trade in Brighton and Hove are negotiating a monthly payment scheme. Might help the lads in your manor even if the price still stays the same.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 07, 2020 1:36 am 

Hi Sussex,

That has been suggested no budging from EMR despite several labour MPs being involved and a petition.

We’ve know wrote to transport department see what they say.

Thanks

Nikki