Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:47 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Scammers everywhere.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:52 pm 

We have been inundated with phone, text and email scams even more than ever during lockdown.
We have a number of bank and savings accounts. Last week a telephone scammer convinced my wife that one account had been compromised and that she needed to transfer £9,000 into another account for safe keeping. She didn’t do it, but some might have found him believable but she didn’t. Yesterday we found that someone had accessed another account and was transferring money out at £250 a time. Four visits to the account saw almost a grand taken. We could not stop it, and we could not contact our bank by phone. It took over five HOURS to get through to the bank to put a stop on transactions. I had three phones ringing in a queue, and when I got through to a human, they would transfer us, and the call was lost, start again, and again. In the meantime we did move the money in that account to another that the scammer couldn’t access.
After four hours we were assured the lost money would be refunded and the account frozen.

We were also asked if we would like to make a complaint.

I asked if bears poo in the woods. We were offered a paltry amount by the unnamed bank.

The banking ombudsman beckons.

I won’t mention which bank we were dealing with, that would be unfair.

Having a few days off now, even though it’s against the rules, I thought I might visit my friend Lloyd, who lives in Halifax.

Post subject: Re: Scammers everywhere.
PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:52 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
they now have them all doing "text chat" it is often the only way to get hold of someone and often you are "chatting" to someone whose grasp of English is not good

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:56 pm 

jimbo wrote:
We have been inundated with phone, text and email scams even more than ever during lockdown.
We have a number of bank and savings accounts. Last week a telephone scammer convinced my wife that one account had been compromised and that she needed to transfer £9,000 into another account for safe keeping. She didn’t do it, but some might have found him believable but she didn’t. Yesterday we found that someone had accessed another account and was transferring money out at £250 a time. Four visits to the account saw almost a grand taken. We could not stop it, and we could not contact our bank by phone. It took over five HOURS to get through to the bank to put a stop on transactions. I had three phones ringing in a queue, and when I got through to a human, they would transfer us, and the call was lost, start again, and again. In the meantime we did move the money in that account to another that the scammer couldn’t access.
After four hours we were assured the lost money would be refunded and the account frozen.

We were also asked if we would like to make a complaint.

I asked if bears poo in the woods. We were offered a paltry amount by the unnamed bank.

The banking ombudsman beckons.

I won’t mention which bank we were dealing with, that would be unfair.

Having a few days off now, even though it’s against the rules, I thought I might visit my friend Lloyd, who lives in Halifax.

Doesn't say much for bank online security systems if any old Tom, Dick or Harry can steal money from someones bank account with relative easy, it also doesnt say much for the banks if they can neither be contacted about the crime or do anything to stop it once they know about it.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:39 pm 

I've never been contacted by phone by my bank so it's easy for me to suss out a scam, however Mrs Sx who has been out of the country for a number of years nearly got caught the other day. #-o

I think rule number one is never buy anything or give any personal details to someone who has rung you, same with texts and emails.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 12:19 pm 

shoulda transferred all your funds out inc overdraft limit so nothing else could be taken?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 05, 2021 1:54 pm 

got one today from john n judd I will be getting 55 to292 a day

Post subject: Amazon?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 1:05 pm 

Post subject: Re: Amazon?
PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 7:04 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Amoazn....Nigerian Scammers, PC savvie but can't spell for toffee.

My email scam of today was:

We tried to deliver your parcel today but you weren't in or there was no safe place to leave it.

Your action is required. If this item is unclaimed by the return date, then it will be returned to sender.

The first and second delivery attempt was free of charge

To schedule a new delivery, a shipping fee must be paid.

Please click here and choose your redelivery date online

It came from nice chap in Belgium.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2021 9:15 pm 

One way I check emails is to click on the name of the sender in the address box.

It always has a weird and wonderful email address, from god know where.

Bit similar with TDO, if the email don't look right and the IP isn't UK, they don't get on the forum.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2021 12:43 am 

Sussex wrote:
One way I check emails is to click on the name of the sender in the address box.

It always has a weird and wonderful email address, from god know where.

Bit similar with TDO, if the email don't look right and the IP isn't UK, they don't get on the forum.

Aye...BT yahoo used to be pretty good at filtering out this type of spam but now that BT has dumped Yahoo their spam filter is useless.