Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 11:00 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: 12 months on...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:35 am 

So here we are then, one year later, and what a different world we live in.

One year ago this week, my wife and I went to London for a few days, main event was to see the massed bands of HM Royal Marines play at the Albert Hall, the news was all about this new infectious virus that had arrived from the Far East. A few people wearing face coverings, but no one seemed too bothered by it all. Travelled home on Saturday 7th March and went to Sincil Bank to watch the mighty Imps play, in what turned out to be my last sight of live football. And in the following twelve months? Who was to know?
So, where are we now? Creeping ever slowly out of hibernation, will things ever be the same again?

Is that light at the end of the tunnel, the light of an oncoming train?

Post subject: Re: 12 months on...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 3:16 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
jimbo wrote:
So here we are then, one year later, and what a different world we live in.

One year ago this week, my wife and I went to London for a few days, main event was to see the massed bands of HM Royal Marines play at the Albert Hall, the news was all about this new infectious virus that had arrived from the Far East. A few people wearing face coverings, but no one seemed too bothered by it all. Travelled home on Saturday 7th March and went to Sincil Bank to watch the mighty Imps play, in what turned out to be my last sight of live football. And in the following twelve months? Who was to know?
So, where are we now? Creeping ever slowly out of hibernation, will things ever be the same again?

Is that light at the end of the tunnel, the light of an oncoming train?

you have used that quote before

The world has changed and it is going to mean less work for our trade as people become far more reliant on volunteers and family members. Use of trains will be far less than before so not so much traffic to or from Stations. The Airport work may come back but I suspect there will be less business travel, however, people will stay take their foreign holidays

Locally the number of empty shops in our town centre is growing and we were one of those towns that did not have empty shops for long so I suspect trips to town will be less. Certainly the rank is completely dead now Rank jobs are as Rare as Brighton goals ! two more bank branches are closing (Barclays and Halifax) locally so fewer people will be able to go to the banks to draw money out in fact the only reason people go into town now is for their expensive cups of coffee and meeting up for a chat !

IF at the end of this there are a third fewer drivers and cars then maybe there will be a living for those left. There is little evidence of that locally as the numbers of cars and drivers are almost the same but that is not the situation everywhere according to some of the threads appearing

Our trade won't disappear but it needs to shrink to fit the market that's left ! we are not in a tunnel we are in a "covid winter" and spring is coming but won't bring an abundant harvest this year !

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

Post subject: Re: 12 months on...
PostPosted: Sun Feb 28, 2021 5:23 pm 

Quote:
will things ever be the same again?

Yes they will, as we can't live as we have been for the last 12 months.

Quote:
Is that light at the end of the tunnel,

I think the light is pretty much here, it's just that Boris is being super careful.

We got caught short last year, I don't think that will happen again.

Soon we will have two massive vaccine centres who will be able to produce one billion doses a year of whatever vaccines we need. We will also have PPE made in this country.

Think the gov want a 100 day process for making any new vaccine for any new bug, if that can be achieved we will all have a good future no matter what the Chinese chuck at us.