Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri May 03, 2024 3:29 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Im bemused
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 6:29 pm 

If you had a 3000+ car fleet across the country, all 2021/22 cars would you have only 3rd party insurance?.......................(not even TPFT)

and no glass cover...

could the cars have any other policy/cover?

Post subject: Re: Im bemused
PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 7:31 pm 

wannabeeahack wrote:
If you had a 3000+ car fleet across the country, all 2021/22 cars would you have only 3rd party insurance?.......................(not even TPFT)

and no glass cover...

Maybe the firm doesn't trust its drivers and repairs all the motors inhouse.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 05, 2022 9:55 pm 

Sussex wrote:
wannabeeahack wrote:

and no glass cover...

Maybe the firm doesn't trust its drivers and repairs all the motors inhouse.

Q. If they didnt OWN them outright, (lease or HP) they would demand Fcomp surely?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 8:54 am 

wannabeeahack wrote:

Q. If they didnt OWN them outright, (lease or HP) they would demand Fcomp surely?

Do finance company's check? We have a driver here who could not get the finance for a hackney carriage so their partner got the car on finance and the insurance states that the car can't be used for hire or reward but it is being used as a Hackney.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:06 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
If I was running a 3000+ fleet I would have a garage facility doing all the repairs and maintenance with a body shop sorting accident damage.

That would obtain much cheaper quotes from insurers which is important with fleet insurance. About 15 years ago I had a driver who rented a vehicle from Highway services in Nottingham who rent out mostly PH but will do Hackney. They did most repairs and maintenance themselves but ran into trouble with the vehicles rented out to DG cars drivers after their insurers pulled the plug following a spate of accidents. They forced the drivers to get their own individual policies because no one would insure the fleet at an acceptable price. Maybe this is a similar situation and the only way they can get the cost down is via TP insurance and charging the drivers for any damage. It would also make the drivers far more careful as they know mistakes would cost them.

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2022 11:46 am 

edders23 wrote:
If I was running a 3000+ fleet I would have a garage facility doing all the repairs and maintenance with a body shop sorting accident damage.

That would obtain much cheaper quotes from insurers which is important with fleet insurance. About 15 years ago I had a driver who rented a vehicle from Highway services in Nottingham who rent out mostly PH but will do Hackney. They did most repairs and maintenance themselves but ran into trouble with the vehicles rented out to DG cars drivers after their insurers pulled the plug following a spate of accidents. They forced the drivers to get their own individual policies because no one would insure the fleet at an acceptable price. Maybe this is a similar situation and the only way they can get the cost down is via TP insurance and charging the drivers for any damage. It would also make the drivers far more careful as they know mistakes would cost them.

i this case they paid the driver to take car to the base, an uber home then an uber back the next day and he took the car home....... 2x£60 ubers,5hrs driver wages

would 3rd party save much over F/C when a car got written off due to drivers fault?

God help any driver who loses a windscreen, they are £600 or more now