Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 8:59 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: streach Limosenes
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:18 am 
Whilst combing through the Dundee Bundle, which as I explained in another thread is absolutly stuffed, I have come accross a letter sent to all local Authorities chief executives and to traffic commissioners.

the letter is guidance on licensing vehicles especially Wavs, however there is a usefull piece on streach limos.

10 The number of streached limosenes being imported from abroad, particularly the United States seems to be increasing. it is quite legal to impoirt these vehicles. However thier usehas led to licensing problems both for those licensing psvs in traffic area offices and for those licensing PHVSin local government. In turn this has led further problems for enforcement authorities.

11 For licensing and enforcement purposes, streached limosenes can come within the licensing regimes for either psvs or PHVs However, it is the departments view that such vehicles do not meet the requirements for minibuses(i.e. vehicles with more than 8 passenger seats in the U.K. PSVconstruction and use regulations. so these vehicles cannot lawfully carry, more than 8 passengers if they do so it is a matter for the appropiate licensing enforcement authorities the Vehicle inspectorate or the police to take neccesary action on the law being broken

12 if a streached limosene is licensed as a small psv (carrying 8 or less passengers )seperate fares must be charged.........

it goes on the gist is we can complain about these things our council has said its not thier pidgeon, clearly it is!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 3:24 am 
The above letter references
Department for Transport dated 9/september 2002
ref pt2 10/2/82
from Rupert Cope head of taxi/phv Branch
Buses and Taxi Division

rupert.cope@dft.gov.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 6:44 am 

Very interesting Wharfy, clearly a bit quiet on the ranks last night. :D

I think the Stretch Limos saga is a very sad indictment on our trade.

Everyone involved in our trade knows they are taking the p***, but no-one in authority wants to do anything about it. Councils blame Gov, Gov blame everyone else, and all the time thousands of people are taking a chance with there lives, blissfully unaware.

I would be interested to see who insures these things, and on what basis. Could I go and insure a non licensed vehicle for hire and reward? I doubt it, but these buggers can.

It will all end in tears, when a serious car crash happens with them. Watch the buck passing from authority then. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2003 4:48 pm 

The letter was in PHM last year some time, but it might not have been as long as the version annexed to the Dundee report.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2003 11:05 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
The letter was in PHM last year some time, but it might not have been as long as the version annexed to the Dundee report.

Dusty

Andy Peters has it on his site.