Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Tue Apr 30, 2024 1:42 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: An apology!!
PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 7:46 am 

You get a second mortgage to log on from the middle of the Indian Ocean and you see the Bin, with a little help, has rescued the situation.

Love from paradise. Sx

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 10:35 am 

I thought that all illegals where put on a plane when they kick them out, not the slow boat to china :lol:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 12:51 pm 

VBulletin is definitely the way to go, hosted by Global Gold.

With google ads and Skimlinks it becomes self-funding.

Turnover is vanity; profit is sanity.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:37 am 

Sussex wrote:
You get a second mortgage to log on from the middle of the Indian Ocean and you see the Bin, with a little help, has rescued the situation.

A bit like saying that Churchill defeated the Nazis with a "little help" from the Armed Forces. :oops:

Quote:
Love from paradise. Sx

Trouble with paradise is that reality seems all the more awful when you get back to it.

That's why I prefer to work shorter weeks rather than take a fortnight off all at once - if I did that I probably wouldn't be able to make it back to the job :?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:54 am 

I was a forum member of one which charged £15 a year subs, and they had £23,000 in the club bank from it.....

im not against paying for a facility

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 10:24 am 

Steven Toy wrote:
VBulletin is definitely the way to go, hosted by Global Gold.

With google ads and Skimlinks it becomes self-funding.

Global Gold looks the noodles for the VBulletin.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 12:43 am 

I think the problem is that we have 231,000 posts, one or two of them quite good, on the php set up.

Do we want to lose them?

Php can be very good, and has as many bells and wistles as any other, but do we want all those flash gizmos?

The problem with the forum was nothing to do with php, and it's their boffins that got it back up.

Bless them.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 2:49 am 

Sussex wrote:
I think the problem is that we have 231,000 posts, one or two of them quite good, on the php set up.

Do we want to lose them?

Php can be very good, and has as many bells and wistles as any other, but do we want all those flash gizmos?

I suspect the existing posts could be transferred to another software provider like vBulletin easily enough - it's all in the database, and the software will just use the same database. It will just present the information in the database - threads, posts, IDs, signatures etc - differently and do other things differently. I doubt if changing to vBullentin or whatever would be that much more difficult than simply updating the version of phpBB that the forum is using.

But I can't really see the point of all the bells and whistles. There are more than enough as it is. In fact it was probably all the unnecessary stuff that caused the problems in the first place.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:20 am 

Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Do we want to lose them?

I suspect the existing posts could be transferred to another software provider like vBulletin easily enough - it's all in the database, and the software will just use the same database. It will just present the information in the database - threads, posts, IDs, signatures etc - differently and do other things differently. I doubt if changing to vBullentin or whatever would be that much more difficult than simply updating the version of phpBB that the forum is using.

But I can't really see the point of all the bells and whistles. There are more than enough as it is. In fact it was probably all the unnecessary stuff that caused the problems in the first place.

I personally like the VBulletin message boards because it has all the bells and whistles, it has several buttons where you can download pictures direct from your hard drive, it has a Youtube video link where you can post the URL for the Youtube video, afterwards the video appears on the post.

The above are just my thoughts.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:38 am 

Nidge2 wrote:
Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex wrote:

Do we want to lose them?

I personally like the VBulletin message boards because it has all the bells and whistles, it has several buttons where you can download pictures direct from your hard drive, it has a Youtube video link where you can post the URL for the Youtube video, afterwards the video appears on the post.

The above are just my thoughts.

These things can be done with phpBB3, provided it has been installed and activated.
But as has been said, the more belle and whistles you add, the more unstable the forum tends to become. Keep it simple and keep it running :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 4:22 pm 

Can you get one that restricts the size of quotes to specified levels?

That might have saved a lot of time, grief and expense the other week. :?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:00 pm 

No idea, but I'm sure a man of your talents could write one, if needed :lol: