Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 08, 2024 9:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 2:35 am 

TDO wrote:
MR T wrote:

I cannot speak for the captain, but as for myself as far as I'm concerned the.OFT under orders from hire officials tried to stitch the cab trade up, they wanted to deregulate us, they did not investigate, they paid for a survey that would say what they wanted, they twisted all the figures, and then they abused and overstepped the power of their our authority, so we went to war, and yes the battle was to stop deregulation by people who do not understand this trade, And because a large majority of the cab trade joined together guess who won that battle at least.... :wink:

Err...isn't that a description of restricting numbers rather than derestricting :lol:

And you still haven't answered my question. :D

You should know by now, I never do , the idea is to let you answer it yourself . :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 3:28 pm 

In response to TDO;

You have to work within a framework, you cannot work to something that doesn’t exist.

I don’t think I actually stated that everything in the garden was rosy, you are making a construction on what I did actually say. Thus my belief that your view is blinkered.
How can I possibly justify the local conditions of an area I do not know about?
What irrationality? I don’t see my stance being undermined as the system in place allows for locals to appeal against conditions.
There is indeed a pattern developing, but it isn’t a pattern that was made by me as by virtue of the various acts an aggrieved person is entitled to the right of appeal. I presume you agree that the aggrieved should have the right to appeal?
How you come to the conclusion that because a person has the right of appeal and take from that that the system doesn’t work says more about the problem you have with the system than myself.
Regarding the issue with Pink Ladies I think I handled it to the best of my ability and it brought forward the best possible result.
I don’t understand your meaning of practice what you preach, as the result was broadly the same.

So I take from that you object to an association seeking change of the various bits of legislation which could be changed for the advantage of all?
I am sorry, in so far as what I have seen your broad view is one that is extremely narrow and from the perspective of yourself. You cite wholesale change yet fail to say what you want in place of what we currently have. I think my point is more realistic and is achieving results.

I do actually think your point was about NTA membership.

The NTA is a member association, it acts upon the wishes of its membership, I am surprised you find that strange.

But for your benefit, here’s the NTA conference resolutions all of which passed, I do not see one which could be construed as self-interest.

“That all persons involved in transporting the General Public are subject to an Enhanced CRB check”

‘That the NTA seeks clarification from the Home office, as to the law on taking passengers to the police station for non-payment of taxi fares, and when does that become kidnap.’

‘We the NTA request that Hackney Carriages are made exempt from any road congestion charging or road tolls that are applied anywhere within the United Kingdom.’

‘That the NTA approach government in an effort to make available clear cut guidance upon the validity of oversees criminal record checks’

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 4:06 pm 

Quote:
Well perhaps you could answer the same question as CC? How much of the NTA's OFT response was devoted to restricted numbers? Or any other major document that the NTA has produced?

Or the T&G? Or the NWTA, NTTG or whatever?

Its nice to see this thread going back to the same old restricted numbers argument.

The NTA policy is perfectly clear and transparent, undersupply of hackney carriages is as bad as over supply.

You don’t seem to recall the NTA concerns with GoSkills or WAV policies or with inclusion into local transport planning or with localized funding for various taxi schemes?

Indeed you don’t seem to appreciate the advice given to member associations on a daily basis ranging from assisting individual drivers to the building of relationships between the trade and LA’s.

In respect of the OFT report, the OFT limited itself in terms of resources and funding, the NTA quite rightly asked the question of how a limited study of the Hackney carriage industry could be considered as right when many people were affected.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:48 pm 

Now wouldn't it have been nice if the NTA had said that they wished both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles to be exempt from any tolls etc?

Would have been nice, but would have also been a miracle. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:48 pm 

captain cab wrote:
You have to work within a framework, you cannot work to something that doesn’t exist.

But that doesn't stop people proposing a new framework, surely?

Quote:
I don’t think I actually stated that everything in the garden was rosy, you are making a construction on what I did actually say.

But I also qualified that by saying that you thought only a bit of tinkering around the edges was required, thus you're misrepresenting me slightly.

Quote:
Thus my belief that your view is blinkered.

Considering your past uttereances about certain matters it's clear that you've been brought into line vis-a-vis the NTA, so it's a bit rich to accuse me of being blinkered.

Quote:
How can I possibly justify the local conditions of an area I do not know about?

So what can possible justify a Touran seating different numbers in different areas. If there is justification, then you must be saying that VOSA have got it wrong allowing private motorists to use the same seating capacity throughout the UK :-k

Quote:
What irrationality? I don’t see my stance being undermined as the system in place allows for locals to appeal against conditions.

Well is allowing the Touran to have different seating capacities rational or not?

So if an LA said you needed a clean driving license for 20 years before you could get a badge, would you just say that's fine, because it can be appealed?

Regulatory structures should be designed to obviate the need for appeals, not just use them as the default position.

Quote:
There is indeed a pattern developing, but it isn’t a pattern that was made by me as by virtue of the various acts an aggrieved person is entitled to the right of appeal. I presume you agree that the aggrieved should have the right to appeal?

Of course I do, but the point is that if a more sensible regime was in place then the need to appeal would be reduced - it's the current mess and inconsisteny that's benefits mainly lawyers and those in the trade who can take advantage.

Quote:
How you come to the conclusion that because a person has the right of appeal and take from that that the system doesn’t work says more about the problem you have with the system than myself.

No you're misrepresenting what I said; it's not the right of appeal that I'm object to, it's the fact that your answer to every wrong or irrationality undertaken by LAs is to say that there's a right of appeal.

I mean, if people are jailed because of miscarriages of justice, if the response of the authorities is merely that there's a right of appeal, then that would be pretty pathetic, innit?

Quote:
Regarding the issue with Pink Ladies I think I handled it to the best of my ability and it brought forward the best possible result.

Yes, but my point was that an appeal wasn't deemed sufficient - you wanted legislative change - why the double standard?

Quote:
I don’t understand your meaning of practice what you preach, as the result was broadly the same.

What I mean is that if aspects of the way that the legislation is working are unsatisfactory then you should support legislative change in that regard, as you did with s.75. Your viewpoint seems to be that for others aggrieved then their only avenue is an appeal to the courts, while for you it has to be legislative change - 'do as I say, not as I do'?

Quote:
So I take from that you object to an association seeking change of the various bits of legislation which could be changed for the advantage of all?

No, and I supported the change and the NTA's actions thereto.

What I object to is, to paraphrase what you said above:

"So I take from that you object to an people seeking change of the various bits of legislation which could be changed for the advantage of all?"

Quote:
I am sorry, in so far as what I have seen your broad view is one that is extremely narrow and from the perspective of yourself.

And here was me thinking that was you!

Quote:
You cite wholesale change yet fail to say what you want in place of what we currently have. I think my point is more realistic and is achieving results.

Well I think a broad outline of what I want should be pretty obvious from what I've said over the years.

Quote:
I do actually think your point was about NTA membership.

The NTA is a member association, it acts upon the wishes of its membership, I am surprised you find that strange.

Not at all, but that underlines the point - your stance is all about you, the NTA and its members - nowt wrong with that, but the whole UK trade also has to be considered, not to mention the public.

Quote:
But for your benefit, here’s the NTA conference resolutions all of which passed, I do not see one which could be construed as self-interest.

“That all persons involved in transporting the General Public are subject to an Enhanced CRB check”

‘That the NTA seeks clarification from the Home office, as to the law on taking passengers to the police station for non-payment of taxi fares, and when does that become kidnap.’

‘We the NTA request that Hackney Carriages are made exempt from any road congestion charging or road tolls that are applied anywhere within the United Kingdom.’

‘That the NTA approach government in an effort to make available clear cut guidance upon the validity of oversees criminal record checks’

Not bad. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 5:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Now wouldn't it have been nice if the NTA had said that they wished both hackney carriages and private hire vehicles to be exempt from any tolls etc?

Would have been nice, but would have also been a miracle. :sad:

Yes, does that mean that Captain Cab would be adding any tolls to his PH vehicle fare and not to his HCs?

Or would he just take the lowered profits on his PH and keeps the fares the same?

The NTA do know that you run PH Captain? :-#

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:00 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
Its nice to see this thread going back to the same old restricted numbers argument.

Yes, it is, particularly when the NTA would clearly prefer that it wasn't discussed at all. :lol:

Quote:
The NTA policy is perfectly clear and transparent, undersupply of hackney carriages is as bad as over supply.

Well given the huge growth in PH in recent years in restricted areas then the NTA must consider that the SUD test doesn't adequately measure undersupply?

And would I be right in saying the NTA only come up with this formula post-OFT, ie in effect a damage limitation exercise.

Quote:
You don’t seem to recall the NTA concerns with GoSkills or WAV policies or with inclusion into local transport planning or with localized funding for various taxi schemes?

I've never claimed that the NTA is a one-trick pony, only NEARLY a one-trick pony :D

Quote:
Indeed you don’t seem to appreciate the advice given to member associations on a daily basis ranging from assisting individual drivers to the building of relationships between the trade and LA’s.

But you seem to be willing to poke your nose in locally when it suits, but when I asked you about the Touran you said you couldn't possibly justify local conditions in an area you don't know about?

Quote:
In respect of the OFT report, the OFT limited itself in terms of resources and funding, the NTA quite rightly asked the question of how a limited study of the Hackney carriage industry could be considered as right when many people were affected.

So how much resources and funding did the NTA put into their study? As I keep on saying, since their response said that premiums were 'unproven and merely anecdotal' then it looked like a cocktail of lies, never mind any kind of proper and methodical research :^o

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 6:02 pm 

And don't forget that the plate premiums friend Gwyneth Dunwoody MP was moaning that the OFT study cost too much, so basically you're saying that the OFT were damned either way?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:26 pm 

captain cab wrote:

Anychance you could tell me the reasoning behind this resolution and what it is meant to achieve for Taxi drivers? I can think of one that would benefit cab drivers and one which would benefit the public? However the NTA reasoning might differ from my own?

Quote:

I suspect the Home office will point you in the direction of the law which has already been established on TDO. They can't go any further than that.

What we really need is new legislation which makes it an offence for a person to get into a cab without having the means to pay for the journey they are about to undertake. A clause could then be inserted that gives the Taxi driver the right to drive the person to the nearest police station without commiting the offence of Kidnap.

Quote:

This would also need current legislation to be amended but it is probably the best resolution out of the four mentioned above.

Quote:

I suspect the DfT will cite European legislation as being the guide lines that apply in such circumstances. I wouldn't hold out much hope of the Government raising the bar on this issue and besides if they did I do not think any such case would be won in a court of law if the objective was so unreasonable as to make disclosure practically impossible to comply?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:29 pm 

Quote:

Would have been nice, but would have also been a miracle.

And heres me the lone voice who stated that in the regional meeting

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:30 pm 

Quote:
Yes, does that mean that Captain Cab would be adding any tolls to his PH vehicle fare and not to his HCs?

Or would he just take the lowered profits on his PH and keeps the fares the same?

The NTA do know that you run PH Captain?

Its the same the world over, I'm afraid I'd have to :wink:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:44 pm 

Quote:
But that doesn't stop people proposing a new framework, surely?

But you didnt propose one

Quote:
But I also qualified that by saying that you thought only a bit of tinkering around the edges was required, thus you're misrepresenting me slightly.

Not as much as your misrepresenting me :wink:

Quote:
Considering your past uttereances about certain matters it's clear that you've been brought into line vis-a-vis the NTA, so it's a bit rich to accuse me of being blinkered.

Not quite

Quote:
So what can possible justify a Touran seating different numbers in different areas. If there is justification, then you must be saying that VOSA have got it wrong allowing private motorists to use the same seating capacity throughout the UK

We had a similar argument last night at the TOA meeting regarding 6 seater Galaxy vehicles.

Unfortunately VOSA with privately used vehicles are slightly different to the taxi and PH trades?

Quote:
Well is allowing the Touran to have different seating capacities rational or not?

So if an LA said you needed a clean driving license for 20 years before you could get a badge, would you just say that's fine, because it can be appealed?

Regulatory structures should be designed to obviate the need for appeals, not just use them as the default position.

But I dont have a Touran :shock:

No i'd say the LA decision wouldnt actually stand up in court.

I'm sorry, but natural justice dictates the right of appeal.

Quote:
Of course I do, but the point is that if a more sensible regime was in place then the need to appeal would be reduced - it's the current mess and inconsisteny that's benefits mainly lawyers and those in the trade who can take advantage.

If a more, I wish there was, hopefully...

Unfortunately I have to deal with the present, not what may or might occur.

Quote:
No you're misrepresenting what I said; it's not the right of appeal that I'm object to, it's the fact that your answer to every wrong or irrationality undertaken by LAs is to say that there's a right of appeal.

I mean, if people are jailed because of miscarriages of justice, if the response of the authorities is merely that there's a right of appeal, then that would be pretty pathetic, innit?

And at what point is the right of appeal?

But that is the response of the authorities.

Quote:
Yes, but my point was that an appeal wasn't deemed sufficient - you wanted legislative change - why the double standard?

No double standard, the route taken was considerably quicker than the alternative.

Quote:
What I mean is that if aspects of the way that the legislation is working are unsatisfactory then you should support legislative change in that regard, as you did with s.75. Your viewpoint seems to be that for others aggrieved then their only avenue is an appeal to the courts, while for you it has to be legislative change - 'do as I say, not as I do'?

In so far as I am concerned S75 had more problems than just that of our lovely Pink Ladies, what I mean to say is that there were and continue to be country-wide issues with vehicles that should be licensed operating under S75.

The avenue chosen was fast and efficient, and I dont think it will end with S75 either.

Quote:
No, and I supported the change and the NTA's actions thereto.

What I object to is, to paraphrase what you said above:

"So I take from that you object to an people seeking change of the various bits of legislation which could be changed for the advantage of all?"

Thank you, I'm glad you approve. :wink:

Quote:
Not at all, but that underlines the point - your stance is all about you, the NTA and its members - nowt wrong with that, but the whole UK trade also has to be considered, not to mention the public.

Your absolutely correct and as a stakeholder I am sure you and the public will be consulted on further ventures.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:50 pm 

TDO you cant half ask questions;

Quote:
Yes, it is, particularly when the NTA would clearly prefer that it wasn't discussed at all.

In your opinion

Quote:

And would I be right in saying the NTA only come up with this formula post-OFT, ie in effect a damage limitation exercise.

Now thats a suggestion. I take it your going to give me the credit :wink:

Quote:
I've never claimed that the NTA is a one-trick pony, only NEARLY a one-trick pony

Awww shucks :D

Quote:
But you seem to be willing to poke your nose in locally when it suits, but when I asked you about the Touran you said you couldn't possibly justify local conditions in an area you don't know about?

Send me a cheque and I'll send you an opinion :wink:

Quote:
So how much resources and funding did the NTA put into their study? As I keep on saying, since their response said that premiums were 'unproven and merely anecdotal' then it looked like a cocktail of lies, never mind any kind of proper and methodical research

about 1/250,000th of the OFT's :shock:

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 08, 2006 7:57 pm 

Quote:
Anychance you could tell me the reasoning behind this resolution and what it is meant to achieve for Taxi drivers? I can think of one that would benefit cab drivers and one which would benefit the public? However the NTA reasoning might differ from my own?

It came from number 2 region, I think it was for all involved in the transport industry, not just taxi and PH drivers, everyone.

When I gave my support I stated a clear need for the public to be confident in the profession. I'd have to refer to the minutes for the other reasons.

Quote:
I suspect the Home office will point you in the direction of the law which has already been established on TDO. They can't go any further than that.

What we really need is new legislation which makes it an offence for a person to get into a cab without having the means to pay for the journey they are about to undertake. A clause could then be inserted that gives the Taxi driver the right to drive the person to the nearest police station without commiting the offence of Kidnap.

I suspect the Home Office will have to advise constabularies.

But your change of legislation idea seems pretty clear and wise.

Quote:
This would also need current legislation to be amended but it is probably the best resolution out of the four mentioned above.

Thank you, with all the talk in the papers about congestion charging it seems sensible.

Quote:
I suspect the DfT will cite European legislation as being the guide lines that apply in such circumstances. I wouldn't hold out much hope of the Government raising the bar on this issue and besides if they did I do not think any such case would be won in a court of law if the objective was so unreasonable as to make disclosure practically impossible to comply?

I think whats been lacking is clear advice on all things european to LA's

thanks for the comments

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 5:56 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:

Would have been nice, but would have also been a miracle.

And heres me the lone voice who stated that in the regional meeting

CC

ie, the lone PH operator at the TAXI association meeting?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 124 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next