Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 7:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 2:45 pm 
Simple solution, make everyone who has not had a badge for 2 years take a knowledge test, we have been talking about it in Mansfield for the last few years due to the amount of Asian lads coming into the market, a few of them are ok on the knowledge front but the others are in dire need of a directional push.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:28 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Quote:
Simple solution, make everyone who has not had a badge for 2 years take a knowledge test, we have been talking about it in Mansfield for the last few years due to the amount of Asian lads coming into the market, a few of them are ok on the knowledge front but the others are in dire need of a directional push.

In London PH drivers do not need to take a Knowledge Test. :cry:

HC by contrast have to serve years learning the knowledge. :shock:

Although there are no restrictions, there does not need to be because of the amount of man hours that goes into this arduous test. I really take my hat off to those guys.

Hardly surprising they have a superiority complex re HC in other area’s throughout the UK and especially the PH.

We have put together our own knowledge test as we did not wish to be put in the situation where drivers without a good knowledge could say we were being unfair and therefore should take them on as they had their London License but knew Jack S**t about where they were going. 8)

Here are a few examples of the questions asked; :mrgreen:

What is the only Road in the postcode W1? :-k

Where is the Hilton Hotel? #-o

Which part of Oxford Street can you drive on? 8-[

What is the name of the two Roads Centrepoint is on the corner of? :roll:

Never had ANY driver get even one of those questions correct. :-({|=

Certainly, legitimately keeps the undesirable out. \:D/

The only problem is they are the only labour available in London at the moment. :cry: :cry:

Regards

Eric

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 4:40 pm 

Charlie the Paperlad wrote:
Is the criteria for being a "fit and proper person" not the same accross the country.

If only. :sad:

There has been a number of times where drivers deemed not to be fit and proper in one manor, have simply gone and got licensed in another. :sad:

But I live in hope that the HC and PH guidance from the DfT later next year might just help. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 7:55 pm 
Sussex wrote:

But I live in hope that the HC and PH guidance from the DfT later next year might just help. :shock:

Maybe the guidance should be very involved, there is an awful lot that needs to be regulated from one area to the next, proper National guidance is the only way we can make a start in progression.

I'm still not sure how a council could enforce the DSA test as a condition of attaining a licence for the HC sector when there is no provision in law to aply conditions to such a licence, I suppose changing bylaws is a possibility, but wouldn't councils not just be better to remove the bylaw which states that they aren't allowed to attach conditions to a HC licence.

Seems to me that insisting on a DSA test could open a real can of worms.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 8:04 pm 

I'm still not sure how a council could enforce the DSA test as a condition of attaining a licence for the HC sector when there is no provision in law to aply conditions to such a licence.

In this case they didn't, and according to the judge they needn't.

I think the judge is basically saying that the DSA test is the same as a medical certificate, in that it's just one part of what makes someone 'fit and proper'.

But I think he has got it wrong in regards to existing drivers. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 10:41 pm 

I am a bit puzzled. Is it only drivers who are deemed to be fit and proper? which standard is being applied to non driving plate holders?
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2004 11:01 pm 

gedmay wrote:
I am a bit puzzled. Is it only drivers who are deemed to be fit and proper? which standard is being applied to non driving plate holders?

There is no 'fit and proper' standard for non-driving plate holders, just one for HC and PH drivers, HC and PH vehicles, and PH operators (in England and Wales).

I suppose a council could refuse to renew a HC vehicle license to someone they feel isn't 'fit and proper'. Say in the case of a serious conviction.

But in areas where quotas exist, the plate is usually sold before the license runs out. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:01 am 
Sussex wrote:
But in areas where quotas exist, the plate is usually sold before the license runs out. :sad:

:roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:05 am 
Sussex wrote:
I think the judge is basically saying that the DSA test is the same as a medical certificate, in that it's just one part of what makes someone 'fit and proper'.

So, like the medical certificate, if introduced the DSA test could have to be retaken on a regular basis to continually assess driving skills.

I agree that existing drivers should be exempt, particularly those with experience, and this test should be introduced to new licence grants.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 7:46 pm 

So, like the medical certificate, if introduced the DSA test could have to be retaken on a regular basis to continually assess driving skills.

I suppose a similar regime will/could be put in place, where a driver could be asked to take another DSA test if a council had good reason to ask i.e. a high number of penalty points, or a number of substantiated driving complaints.

In the same way that a council could/does ask for a further medical check if a driver reaches a certain age, or has a medical problem.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 9:55 pm 

Sussex,
I am still puzzled, are there two definitions of "fit and proper", one that has everything to do with driving capabilities and one ( I think the original concept) just about being a fine upstanding citizen.
Does it mention "fit and proper" in the original Act and if so how can that be related to an advance driving test?
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 13, 2004 10:21 pm 

gedmay wrote:
Sussex,
I am still puzzled, are there two definitions of "fit and proper", one that has everything to do with driving capabilities and one ( I think the original concept) just about being a fine upstanding citizen.

I think at one time the 'fit and proper' definition was the one that's obvious i.e. being a 'fit and proper' person.

Nowadays it seems to mean being 'fit and proper' for the job, be it taxi or PH driver. Clearly that includes being a 'fit and proper person', but could also include the passing of a DSA test, along side the normal practise of passing a knowledge test.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 8:07 pm 

In relation to this case, I understand the appeal is now "out of time", so you better get ready for some driving tests!

thanks amacus!

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:09 pm 

captain cab wrote:
In relation to this case, I understand the appeal is now "out of time", so you better get ready for some driving tests!

thanks amacus!

See that's the chance you take when you get involved big time.

I would say that most on here thought he would win based on the Port Talbot decision. Which would have allowed new drivers to take the test, but not existing ones, unless they were well up on the points.

To be honest I don't have a problem doing the test, but that's not a view shared by my mates (:shock:). But I think only a few councils will insist on existing drivers doing it, but many will include it for new entrants. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2005 9:39 pm 

Quote:
But I think only a few councils will insist on existing drivers doing it, but many will include it for new entrants.

Well I know of one already thats made the decision to make DSA tests mandatory for all, existing & new applicants.

I tend to think this is the win that LA's have been waiting for.

Taken from Darlingtons taxi website (just after the magistrates decision which was won)

well I seem to have won my day in bishop auckland magistrates court today (15/11/2004). DARLINGTONS COUNCIL legal system sucks again THEY WANTED £300+ AND £45 COURT COSTS. they never got it as the case against them was already won.
the reason that the case did not go ahead was I was advised by the court that as the licence had been granted there was no need for the appeal to be heard.
the council in their wisdom forgot to do DISCLOSURE and they cannot do a second court case at the magistrates as they have already had a judgement made there.

We await the result of the AMMICUS hearing on the 29/11/2004 at the high courts in london.When all goes well then we can all start asking for financial retributions from the council.

Shall we all start to fling the mud at the council and see if we can make it stick to a certain councillor (need he be named ).

Captain cab

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 46 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next