Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat May 04, 2024 11:11 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Yet another case of ANPR technology mysteriously not logging all the entries and exits :roll:

https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/uber-drivers-warning-after-being-29050740

Uber driver's warning after being charged whopping £561 for two drop offs at Newcastle Airport
Trevor Storey, 63, is urging other motorists to check their bank accounts to ensure they aren't incorrectly charged

A taxi driver was shocked to find he'd been charged more than £500 for two drop offs at Newcastle International Airport.

Trevor Storey, 63, was charged £253 instead of £4 when he dropped a customer off on April 14. The machine didn't issue a receipt and Trevor failed to notice the eyewatering charge.

It wasn't until he was charged £308 just days later and the transaction was flagged by his bank that he realised there was an issue. Trevor, from South West Denton, contacted the airport who said his exit had been missed on two occasions and resulted in the high fee.

Airport bosses told ChronicleLive there are occasions when the automatic number plate recognition systems cannot read a vehicle's registration plate, which can include poor weather or number plate inconsistencies.

Trevor said: "I work for Uber and everything is done by card, I don't handle any cash. I swiped my card and they don't give a receipt a lot of the time. The first time it was £253, then on April 19 I dropped someone off and Uber gave me another job at the airport so I swiped my card again.

The £308 drop off charge issued (Image: handout)
"I got a receipt but just assumed it would be for £4. But when I finished I was contacted by my bank and there was a new transaction for £308 and I looked and I did have a charge.

"I phoned the bank and explained what had happened, but they said they couldn't stop the transaction and I would need to speak to the airport. When I was speaking to the guy on the phone he said 'Do you realise they did the same to you on April 14 and took £253'."

Trevor, who has been a taxi driver for 25 years, contacted the airport who were quick to refund his cash. He said: "They said my exit had been missed on two occasions. The woman was very quick to arrange for the money to be refunded."

But Trevor fears it could be happening to others who are unaware and wants people to know there could be an issue. He said: "I do my banking once a month so it would have come to light then. But imagine the amount of people this could happen to and they wouldn't realise.

"It could have been someone's last pound that they took and left them with nothing, if they had bills to pay. It would cause a lot of hassle, stress and anxiety. The airport won't get in touch with people to say they have been overcharged."

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !