Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jun 17, 2024 12:08 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:17 pm 

This makes it sound like it's something new, and I've seen people claiming on social media that there's been an upturn of this in Glasgow. But I would guess that, while there's still a cohort of cash-only drivers, they're very gradually declining, while some seem to be claiming they're increasing.

Of course, the other side of the coin (pardon pun) is that punters are no doubt increasingly wanting to pay by card, which may help explain it all.

Anyway, the explanation by Glasgow Taxis Limited is clear enough, unless you want to nitpick. Which I'd never do, obviously :-o

But, for example, GTL says the HCDs working for other than GTL are sole traders. Er, I'd guess all the GTL drivers are sole traders too [-(

Glaswegians rage over taxis demanding cash only as customers turned away at ranks

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... g-29206922

It is understood some drivers have plastered 'cash only' signs on their vehicles ahead of picking up passengers which has left those wishing to grab a lift furious.

Glaswegians are up in arms after some black cab drivers told them "don't bother getting in if you don't have cash" as card payments are refused.

It is understood some drivers have plastered 'cash only' signs on their vehicles ahead of picking up passengers which has left those wishing to grab a lift furious that they are not allowed to pay by card in 2024.

Customers took to X, formerly known as Twitter, to express their dismay with some tagging Glasgow Taxis Limited with concerns.

However, the popular firm who operate around half of the cabs in Glasgow, told how refusing card payments for customers goes against their company policy.

They are aware of 'sole traders' across the city who will not accept card payments but say that is 'out of our control'.

One person said: "Glasgow taxi rank situation is weird at the moment. Wait for ages in the queue only for five people who were behind you to effectively jump it because 5 black hacks in a row only take cash.

"Thanks to the driver who finally took card but in 2024 that's a shambles."

Another wrote: "@glasgow_taxis... row of drivers only wanting cash at Buchanan bus station. What is that all about?

A third added: "No fewer than 8 Glasgow taxis refused my custom tonight because I don’t have cash. Then I went for chips in Blue Lagoon and watched the staff tell the couple before me that Britain stopped using paper money 3 years ago."

A fourth customer - defending Glasgow Taxis Limited - wrote: "The cash only drivers are the 'non-radio' drivers who are not affiliated with Glasgow Taxis and instead, operate completely independently.

"The meter should be used for journeys within the city boundary and for those out with, the fare agreed prior to setting off."

A spokesperson for Glasgow Taxis Limited explained: "Glasgow Taxis Limited operates around half of the cabs in Glasgow. All of our cabs are provided with card payment terminals and it is considered a breach of company policy to decline any card payments.

"This is something that we treat extremely seriously and have invested heavily in advertising this service. We have also recently engaged the services of a ‘mystery shopper’ to ensure our standards are being maintained. The feedback from this exercise was extremely positive.

"The remaining half of the city’s black cabs have no connection to Glasgow Taxis Limited at all. They are generally sole traders and I am aware that many will not accept card payments., but we have no control over this.

"Glasgow Taxis Limited feel that card payment facilities should be a mandatory licensing requirement and have asked Glasgow City Council to consider this."

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 8:18 pm 

Quote:
A third added: "No fewer than 8 Glasgow taxis refused my custom tonight because I don’t have cash. Then I went for chips in Blue Lagoon and watched the staff tell the couple before me that Britain stopped using paper money 3 years ago."

They wanted a chip and PIN payment, maybe? :lol:

PostPosted: Mon May 20, 2024 9:51 pm 

Quote:
"The remaining half of the city’s black cabs have no connection to Glasgow Taxis Limited at all. They are generally sole traders and I am aware that many will not accept card payments., but we have no control over this.

So do Glasgow Taxi Limited now employ drivers on the firm, or are those drivers also sole traders who just happen to pay to receive work from them? :-k

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 12:30 am 

I think GTL makes it a condition that any driver working on its system has to take card - owner-driver, renter, whatever. Don't think they actually employ drivers directly.

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:46 pm 

heres an idea

while you are in the queue at the busiest taxi rank in scotland,look behind you,theres two cash machines,pop your card in,withdraw some cash,problem sorted

GTL cabs all have cash machines and xh558 is right,none of the drivers/owners are employed by GTL,although you must abide by GTL rules and conditions which accepting card payments,which is one of their conditions

the rest of the fleet do not have to accept cards if they dont wish too,personally I think its a very short sighted position to take and Ive never refused a card payment,but these guys have their own reasons for wanting cash only

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2024 7:56 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Most of those drivers have probably experienced a card declined situation at the end of the journey.

It is becoming increasingly common for people who know their card won't work to insist on paying by card at the end of the journey or even to tell the driver they have cash then produce a card at the end of the journey which gets declined.

In a situation like that the driver always loses because if a card is used fraudulently the banks can charge it back to you but the other way round isn't the case