Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 23, 2024 8:43 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Here we go again !!!!
PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 8:01 pm 

ANGRY DRIVERS say extra licences would jeopardise our livelihoods

THE late-night ordeal of getting a taxi in Reading may be a thing of the past as long as plans for 30 more Hackney cabs do not get stalled.

Reading Borough Council wants to issue licences for the extra black cabs next year to meet demand from the town's growing late-night economy.

But revellers may be left out in the cold if existing taxi drivers are successful in their campaign to block the move.

The Reading Taxi Driver's Association is adamant the extra cabbies would jeopardise their livelihoods and put lives at risk.

It is planning to appeal against the bid in the High Court.

The idea of increasing the number of cabs was first put forward in June and the association immediately threatened legal action, seeking leave from the High Court to appeal the decision.

It claimed the proposal could put passengers and drivers lives at risk because it would mean longer working hours.

It also claimed that it could spark more confrontation between cabbies and private hire drivers.

A meeting to try to reach agreement and avoid a court battle was held between the association and the council on Tuesday, September 23.

But chairman of the association Haji Banaras said yesterday that nothing came out of the talks.

There are already enough cabs and eight to 30 is a big jump, he said.

Unmet demand is always there and extra licences would make no difference because there are peak hours and off-peak hours.

A lot of drivers will be out of trade because they will not be able to afford to work on the rank. We're just trying to protect our trade and livelihood.

If the council is willing to compromise, we can talk to them and negotiate. It's no big deal, but the council won't listen to us.

The council's plan, due to be discussed at a licensing committee meeting on Tuesday, January 6, also includes reviewing the number and location of taxi ranks, combating illegal private hire activity and carrying out an impact survey 12 months after the extra licences are issued.

There are currently 138 hackney carriages licensed for hire in Reading and no extra licences have been issued since February 2000.

However a report, which was compiled in 2002, showed there is a significant unmet demand in the town.

Please, please someone point out to these so-called HC leaders the law of the land.

They will lose their members tens of thousands, just like the lads in Wirral, Castlepoint and Dundee have in the last few years.

So much for the managed gowth farce !!!

PostPosted: Tue Dec 30, 2003 9:41 pm 

Sussex Man wrote:

If the T&G have a branch there then presumably the local membership decided to dump the Managed Cab Growth policy.

But that's democracy, not hypocrisy!!

But at least it's an original article. Not!

Dusty

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 12:29 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

If the T&G have a branch there then presumably the local membership decided to dump the Managed Cab Growth policy.

But that's democracy, not hypocrisy!!

But at least it's an original article. Not!

Dusty

30 new cabs is not managed growth.

alas if they do go to court they will nurse more cabs and a big bill.

though its another stick to beat the poor Tand G and this site is fast beccoming just a union bashing site

and its getting boring

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2003 1:02 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

alas if they do go to court they will nurse more cabs and a big bill.

though its another stick to beat the poor Tand G and this site is fast beccoming just a union bashing site

and its getting boring

what a great idea.
lets just ignore all the double standards in the taxi game.
lets all thank the unions for the help in making so many of us buy fxs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 5:26 pm 
I know a little about Reading.

Had an amazing thing last year sometime when the local rag had a story about the PH drivers saying 'OK, we will be legal and see what sh1te you find yourself in'.

Basically it read that for years every one, council, police et al all ignored the PH's clearly being flagged in town late on Friday and Saturday evening because it was obvious that the Hacks couldn't, or more probably, wouldn't meet demand.

Then one Saturday an enforcement officer decided to pull a few PH's over and warn them. So as a united trade they went to the press and said 'ok this weekend we will play strictly by the rules, none of us will hang around in the town centre, we won't allow ourself to be flagged. The Police and council can deal with [edited by admin]'.

I don't think anything else was heard, the status quo soon restored.

From my perspective issuing more plates is fine, all that will happen is a few PH drivers will move to Hacks, sit on ranks Monday to Friday all day, then take the weekends off.

Numbers should be free and open, but somehow we have to find a way of matching supply and demand at various times. I know a system that does that nicely but it isn't very tax effective I'm afraid.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2004 7:37 pm 
Tom Thumb wrote:
I know a little about Reading.

Had an amazing thing last year sometime when the local rag had a story about the PH drivers saying 'OK, we will be legal and see what sh1te you find yourself in'.

Basically it read that for years every one, council, police et al all ignored the PH's clearly being flagged in town late on Friday and Saturday evening because it was obvious that the Hacks couldn't, or more probably, wouldn't meet demand.

Then one Saturday an enforcement officer decided to pull a few PH's over and warn them. So as a united trade they went to the press and said 'ok this weekend we will play strictly by the rules, none of us will hang around in the town centre, we won't allow ourself to be flagged. The Police and council can deal with [edited by admin]'.

I don't think anything else was heard, the status quo soon restored.

From my perspective issuing more plates is fine, all that will happen is a few PH drivers will move to Hacks, sit on ranks Monday to Friday all day, then take the weekends off.

Numbers should be free and open, but somehow we have to find a way of matching supply and demand at various times. I know a system that does that nicely but it isn't very tax effective I'm afraid.

you have a point my area down to a tee we have restricted plates, but on fridays and saturdays some hacs wont go out too dangerous, besides they have made thier money.

I came up with the solution, what a bloody outcry, ok you lot work, no its too dangferous they are our cars we will do as we please.

dianasours and they must be defeated, private hire must not be allowed to ply, the laws must be upheld.

and issuing more licenses as you indicate is not neccesarily the answer but here it will help.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:50 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

What is 'managed growth' then? I assumed that managed growth was in fact the minimum recommended by a survey - ie the minium required to comply with the law, so what's the difference?

As regards the particular case, I assumed that 30 had been recommended by a survey.

In any case since it's now four years since any have been issued then a reasonably tranche should not be unexpected - if plates aren't issued for such a period then presumably some catch up will be required.

Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 12:56 pm 

Anonymous wrote:

and its getting boring

Yes, those that stand for T&G policies will find it 'boring' and 'union bashing' but this is generally the kind of argument coming from those who can't think of anything better to say.

While the same boring old arguments emanate from the T&G et al, the same boring old counter points will be made.

Dusty

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:10 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

and its getting boring

Yes, those that stand for T&G policies will find it 'boring' and 'union bashing' but this is generally the kind of argument coming from those who can't think of anything better to say.

While the same boring old arguments emanate from the T&G et al, the same boring old counter points will be made.

Dusty

I dont stand for Tand G policies, but they have a role.

you like to bash you bashed london cabbies now its Tand g

and realy london drivers are dreadfull a lady gave me a pound tip and said so so it must be true.

after a while it gets boring.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 1:31 pm 

Not nearly as boring as you Wharfy.

Or whatever you're calling yourself nowadays.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 3:58 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Not nearly as boring as you Wharfy.

Or whatever you're calling yourself nowadays.

Dusty

it wasnt that long ago that a member on here was rebuked by you for as you put it at the time guessing identities. then you do the same. just remember you post as anon.

give someone a bit of authority and it goes right to thier heads

I do think that if you want couteseys you should set an example, you also accuse people of being repetative, yes they are and you answer every one repetetively,

new thought on significant new and burning issues are radically called for
however if they are forthcomming you will ask for the T and G stance, then you will rubbish that stance, and it will go round and round again.

and the discussion on Brighton Station and the length over what turned out to be a very petty issue, is just one where quite frankly I wonder, in the beggining Tand G WERE BLOWN OUT OF THE WATER AND THEY FINISHED WINNING THE DEBATE HANDS DOWN.

I still cannot believe they managed to do that Dusty you were petty in thier hands.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:52 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
it wasnt that long ago that a member on here was rebuked by you for as you put it at the time guessing identities. then you do the same. just remember you post as anon.

Mr Anon, I think it is you that spends most of their time giving out names.

Thankfully most, if not all, of the time you get it wrong. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2004 6:55 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
I do think that if you want couteseys you should set an example, you also accuse people of being repetative, yes they are and you answer every one repetetively,

To be honest Mr Anon, when you post sometimes as this, sometimes as that, and sometimes as the other, it's
(A) very hard to have a coherent discussion, and
(B) take you seriously.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:59 am 
Its the spelling mistakes that give the game away, or has no-one noticed? :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 8:55 am 

I think everyone has noticed, it's just some still have the will to give it a go.

How long for, who knows?