Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Oct 26, 2024 8:22 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2024 11:50 am 

As a reminder, this is part of the old map that Wolverhampton Council had that showed their designated MoT stations for the PHVs. Think I counted the thick end of 200 at one point :-o

But now it's more like 20,000 :-o :-o

So each MoT garage in England should get at least one Wolves-plated PHV per year :lol:

By the way, this doesn't show all the registered garages, because I think this screengrab was taken in 2021, and numbers increased subsequent to that. And it was a zoomable map, so a lot of the garages were hidden in the more densely populated areas, as should be obvious from the graphic. And this doesn't show the whole of the country - as I recall it, they had some as far north as Tyneside, and as far south as Southampton :-o :-o :-o

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:19 am 

Sussex wrote:
https://wolverhampton.public-i.tv/core/portal/webcast_interactive/890650/start_time/1828000

Had a watch of that last night, and one or two jaw-dropping moments :-o

Best bit at about 59.00 on, when he says that if there's an exclusive operator/driver relationship then there will be a contract of employment conferring worker rights etc :-o :-o

So basically he's saying that if it's not an Uber/Bolt scenario then it's not self-employment - shouldn't that be the other way round? :-k

But sounds like he's maybe too busy dealing with Uber and the like, an thus he thinks exclusive driver/operator relationships are the exception rather than the norm...

Which links into the signage issue - again, correct me if I'm wrong, but doesn't this exemption from the signage ban mean that as regards the vast majority of Wolverhampton operators they deal with, they'll still be able to display door signage?

new Wolverhampton Council policy wrote:
Where an exclusive relationship exists between the vehicle proprietor, driver and
operator, operator signage may be displayed on the vehicle. The expected format of
this is sticker branding (no larger than A4 in size) on the rear of the vehicle. Magnetic
signage will not be approved. Signage must be approved by Licensing Services
before it is displayed.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 11:26 am 

As regards the MoT thing, I think the council is maybe misrepresenting or misconstruing the Government's best practice guidance. I think the latter is referring to MoTs generally, rather than any additional HC/PH requirements imposed by councils.

So the best practice guidance relating to MoTs isn't about specific HC/PH requirements in addition to basic MoT stuff, so not really sure where Wolves is coming from...

But does Wolves actually inspect PHVs itself in any shape or form? I think the best practice guidance assumes that councils do do that, hence the stuff about allowing the basic MoTs to be conducted anywhere :?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 08, 2024 8:16 pm 

StuartW wrote:
But does Wolves actually inspect PHVs itself in any shape or form? I think the best practice guidance assumes that councils do do that, hence the stuff about allowing the basic MoTs to be conducted anywhere :?

I'm certain they never see them, only the paperwork via an online portal.

At least they will now see the drivers every three years when they do their pre-licensing training courses.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 2:32 am 

Just remembered another jaw-dropper :-o

Or maybe I'm misremembering it, but it was something about needing to get together with other local authorities so that they could decide a uniform spec for low/zero emissions vehicles.

The licensing manager said they needed to do that to stop drivers going elsewhere to get licensed :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:03 pm 

Quote:
The licensing manager said they needed to do that to stop drivers going elsewhere to get licensed

Absolutely certain they live and work in La La Land. [-(

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:08 pm 

Came across this via TaxiPoint - an FOI request on the number of cars attached to each Wolverhampton operator :-o

But which is interesting in that it would be instructive to know how many have their drivers under contracts of employment, as the Wolverhampton licensing manager seemed to think was the norm. Or should be the norm...

At a rough guess I'd say approximately zero [-(

Anyway, no surprise that Uber is head and shoulders above the rest of them in terms of numbers - nearly 17,000. Bolt only 1,100 or so and Go Carz third with almost 600.

https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/ ... sthrough=1

(It's not entirely clear the date to which the numbers apply, but it looks like the response was issued early in January this year. Which may explain why the numbers seem a bit out of date - didn't count them, but roughly speaking there seems to be less than 350 operators on the list, while the council's online database seems to show over 400, assuming it's up to date. Similarly, the list comprises less than 27,000 cars, while now it seems to be well over 30,000 :-o )

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:30 pm 

The case for a national licensing regime is getting stronger

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:49 pm 

And I wish the likes of TaxiPoint would stop using the 'ridehail' term, giving the impression that Uber is some kind of different beast in terms of licensing etc :roll:

Which in turn maybe links to another recent TP article, namely about 'Virtual taxi ranks'. Didn't go through it in great detail, but it sounds suspiciously like, um, ride-hailing :lol:

But which could just about be worked out simply by reading the headline 'Virtual taxi ranks' :idea:

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/virtu ... xi-drivers

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:50 pm 

StuartW wrote:
And I wish the likes of TaxiPoint would stop using the 'ridehail' term, giving the impression that Uber is some kind of different beast in terms of licensing etc :roll:

Which in turn maybe links to another recent TP article, namely about 'Virtual taxi ranks'. Didn't go through it in great detail, but it sounds suspiciously like, um, ride-hailing :lol:

But which could just about be worked out simply by reading the headline 'Virtual taxi ranks' :idea:

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/virtu ... xi-drivers

yep, I read it as BS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2024 10:59 pm 

Lost my connection again there :roll: , but the online Wolves database currently shows 47k drivers, 33k vehicles, and 444 operators :-o

But which is interesting, because if 99% of the operators are exempt from the signage ban because they have an exclusive relationship with drivers, then clearly the ban is more than a tad irrelevant...

But the ban presumably would apply to the likes of Uber and Bolt, thus that's almost two thirds of the total in terms of cars :-o

Uber alone comprises 63% of all Wolves-plated PHVs :-o :-o

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2024 9:00 am 

StuartW wrote:
Lost my connection again there :roll: , but the online Wolves database currently shows 47k drivers, 33k vehicles, and 444 operators :-o

But which is interesting, because if 99% of the operators are exempt from the signage ban because they have an exclusive relationship with drivers, then clearly the ban is more than a tad irrelevant...

But the ban presumably would apply to the likes of Uber and Bolt, thus that's almost two thirds of the total in terms of cars :-o

Uber alone comprises 63% of all Wolves-plated PHVs :-o :-o
The Wolverhampton plated UBERs working in our district still have ntheir UBER door signs on.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:36 pm 

Not a UK article, but this kind of impersonation is potentially more dangerous than the door sticker thing, and nothing Wolverhampton could do about this.

Although never really heard any cases of using fake roofsigns here - usually more about people who'll get into any vehicle that will let them in, so fake rooflights etc not really necessary :?

Amazon rejects plea to stop selling taxi roof signs as cab scam spreads across Canada

https://www.cbc.ca/news/business/taxi-s ... -1.7315130

Fake drivers swap passengers' debit cards, with $1.7M in losses reported in Toronto since June 2023

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2024 6:43 pm 

Been a bit of a taxi/PH anorak for the best part of 35 years and have never read an article where an incident/attack has been aided by an unlicensed individual using a taxi roof light.

But maybe all this press will lead to someone actually doing it now. #-o

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2024 7:17 pm 

Nothing any of us didn't know, but an interesting addition to this thread c/o PHTM.

https://content.yudu.com/web/43sy4/0A43 ... gin=reader

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next