Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 5:54 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:04 pm 

Obviously these changes in many cases will have an impact on taxi licensing.

Healey - 100 days to bang the drum for new councils

Published 22 December 2008

The 100 day countdown to the biggest transformation of local government for 30 years begins today - a change which will affect over 3.2 million people.

Local Government Minister John Healey said that plans to replace 44 councils across 7 counties on 1 April next year are on track. And with 100 days to go, he called on the new councils to step up their efforts to explain to local people how these changes will make a difference to their lives - through better services, a bigger say in local decisions and stronger community leadership through these tough economic times.

The new councils have also committed to make combined savings of over £100m, which can be re-invested in front-line services or used to reduce pressure on council tax.

44 local councils across Bedfordshire, Cheshire, Cornwall, Durham, Northumberland, Shropshire and Wiltshire will be replaced by nine new unitary authorities. Over the last few months Mr Healey has met with those people working hard to transform local government in all these areas as well as local residents who will be affected.

The Minister has been impressed with efforts to ensure that these new councils will be up and running delivering top quality services from day one. But he said more needs to be done to explain the changes to the public itself - especially the benefits it will bring.

For example:

* Central Bedfordshire has an ambitious plan to reshape childrens' services and improve academic results, creating a more co-ordinated, family-oriented school system, and uniting local leisure, libraries and sports coaching facilities.
* Cornwall Council will provide 22 One stop shops/walk in centres across the county. People will be able to meet local councillors, access council services or Citizens Advice, and get information, advice and guidance about any council service. A mobile service will be set up to reach the more rural areas.
* Cheshire East Council will provide targeted community policing as well as debt advice to those affected by the present economic downturn. Vulnerable people will benefit from expanded social care, with co-ordinated home visits by multi-skilled professionals.
* Durham's new council will provide a single number for all services, and plans to expand its recycling and home composting services. 75 per cent of Durham's households will soon be able to use the composting service, reducing the amount of garden waste sent to landfill each year.
* Northumberland's new Council will introduce a new housing scheme giving tenants more flexibility over their housing choices. The new system is designed to be more straightforward with only 1 form to fill in for access to any kind of property scheme.
* Shropshire's Council will invest their savings in local services, with £5m in public transport, equalising concessionary fares across the county. They will also provide free swimming for under-16s and older people and access to £1.7m funding for local community activities.
* Wiltshire Council have already made £3.4m in savings through staff reductions to avoid duplication. They plan to substantially improve their customer access, with a single telephone number for all services and customer centres in main offices and locations across the county.

John Healey said:

"In 100 days time 44 councils across 7 counties will be replaced with 9 new unitary councils, serving over 3 million people. This represents the biggest transformation of local government for 30 years and means that 60per cent of the population will now be served by single unitary councils.

"This isn't a bureaucratic process of redrawing maps or changing names, and it's not a 24-hour makeover.This is about making a real difference to people's lives. These new councils have committed to delivering better services, giving people a bigger say in decisions that affect them and making combined savings of over £100m to be re-invested in front-line services or used to reduce pressure on council tax. And through stronger leadership they will help their communities ride out these tough economic times.

"From my visits to all of these areas I have seen first hand the huge efforts being made to ensure councils are not only up and running but also delivering top quality services from day one. The final countdown begins today but I am confident plans are on track and efforts will continue over the next 100 days. I want these councils to also use this time to step up efforts to tell local people about the changes and how they will benefit. Whether a single telephone number to access all services in Wiltshire or free swimming for children and old people in Shropshire I want local people to know what to expect from their new council from day one."

Notes to editors

1. Local Government Minister John Healey explains more about the benefits of the new unitary councils in a short clip on YouTube: www.youtube.com/communitiesuk (external link)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:01 pm 

Outside of the respective local authourities I don't think there are many cab drivers who are aware of these changes. I wonder if any of the taxi magazines will pick up on our lead?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:09 pm 

JD wrote:
Outside of the respective local authourities I don't think there are many cab drivers who are aware of these changes. I wonder if any of the taxi magazines will pick up on our lead?

Regards

JD

I dont even think the LA's involved know what to do about taxi licensing in the new structures.....so the taxi trade wont have a clue either.

regards

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:15 pm 

captain cab wrote:

I dont even think the LA's involved know what to do about taxi licensing in the new structures.....so the taxi trade wont have a clue either.

regards

CC

From what I understand there has been plenty of work going on in the background but the subject is nevertheless interesting in respect of the licensing changes.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:56 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
well if the lessons of 1974 haven't been learned god help the people in those areas ! Improvements to local government structure rarely make life easier for residents and businesses in the areas changed

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:58 pm 

Where will Liverpool and surrounding areas come under once this goes ahead

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 9:01 pm 

skippy41 wrote:

Liverpool and murkyside aint going that way I think.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:38 pm 

skippy41 wrote:

Still under the thumb of the councils they've already got and I have say that I'm sure the Liverpool HC's are counting their blessings :lol: I also reckon it won't be long before the same thing happens there though

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:21 pm 

JD wrote:

From what I understand there has been plenty of work going on in the background but the subject is nevertheless interesting in respect of the licensing changes.

Regards

JD

Last year there was talk of a Cumbrian unitary authority, our licensing department asked me my views regarding taxi licensing.

I pointed out we only issue licenses to WAV's.....something the other LA's in Cumbria dont do.....we have age limits on first and subsequent licensing....whilst some of the others do...some dont.

I asked if the others would raise their standards to ours...or would we lower ours to theirs?

I finally asked which licensing officers would be getting made redundant.....sufficed to state Cumbria has no plans for a massive unitary authority......yet.

Regards

CC