Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:22 pm 

Taxi drivers set for fares protest

Taxi drivers are to take their cabs off the road at peak times at Christmas and new year to protest that they are not being allowed to put up their rates.

Normally cabbies in Loughborough are allowed to increase fares from 11pm on Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve when they take revellers home, but this year Charnwood Borough Council has told them they cannot raise rates until 6am on Christmas Day and New Year's Day.

The 150-strong Charnwood Taxi Drivers' Association agreed last night that they would hold a number of two-hour stay-at-home protests in response to the new rules.

Association secretary David Hunter said: "We don't think it's fair that everyone else working at that time will be on increased pay but we cannot make more money."

The council has said it will not change its mind on the fares.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:28 pm 

Taxi strike threat to partygoers

Up to two-thirds of taxis could be missing from some Leicestershire streets due to a strike over fares.

The dispute comes after Charnwood Borough Council decided to stop cabs doubling fares after midnight on Christmas and New Year's Eve.

Fares will instead rise at 0600 GMT on Christmas and New Year's Day - but one drivers' group has voted to strike for two hours on the disputed night.

But another set of drivers said the action could damage local businesses.

Illegal cabs

Charnwood Borough Council explained that they hoped the move would cut down on drink driving and boost the night time economy.

But the 120 members of Charnwood Taxi Drivers' Association, the largest such body in Loughborough, have voted to come off the road in protest.

Its chairman, Richard Matthews, estimated up to 65% of the town's taxis would disappear.

"We appreciate that times are hard and people don't have much money - but (the council) is expecting people to work at three in the morning for the same pay as they do every other night of the year."

He added: "We do risk alienating some members of the public but I would just ask them whether they would go to work on Christmas Day for the same pay as they get the rest of the time."

But Yvette Barrow, secretary of Charnwood Borough Drivers' Association, said her group was against the strike.

"We are concerned it could force people into illegal taxis, walking on dangerous dark roads or worst of all, they might not come out at all, which would have a knock-on effect on the whole economy."

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:38 pm 

How to confuse a council committee;

Fares review!

Can someone tell me why National Fares are relative to a local taxi fare increase?

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:57 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Can someone tell me why National Fares are relative to a local taxi fare increase?

Because it's a good excuse for councillors to say no. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:18 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Because it's a good excuse for councillors to say no. :sad:

I know.....but in fairness wtf have..... say fares in Brighton, go to do with say...... those in Carlisle?........your standard and cost of living locally is different to mine.

There is also the danger of an LA saying no to a request based upon the upper parts of the league table being undesirable to the uneducated press.

CC

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:20 pm 

captain cab wrote:
I know.....but in fairness wtf have..... say fares in Brighton, go to do with say...... those in Carlisle?........your standard and cost of living locally is different to mine.

Councillors are thick. Nuff said. :sad:

Maybe a solution is to pair cab fare increases with council tax increases.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:22 pm 

Sussex wrote:
captain cab wrote:

Councillors are thick. Nuff said. :sad:

Maybe a solution is to pair cab fare increases with council tax increases.

Strangely enough I once suggested that :wink:

CC