Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Aug 09, 2020 9:54 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:07 am 

Bristol taxi driver sped away with man on the bonnet

A MAN stands with his arms outstretched in front of a taxi after a row over a fare.

Moments later driver Muhammad Javed accelerated into him, carrying him along on the bonnet of the cab for about 30 yards.

He then drove off leaving the man on the floor with serious head injuries.

The dramatic incident in Stokes Croft was captured on CCTV cameras.

Javed, 45, was jailed for six months at Bristol Crown Court.

The injured man, Huw Lloyd, suffered head injuries and a fractured hand in the incident. Members of the public and his friend Polly Nicalaous rushed to his side as he lay motionless in the road.

The incident took place on the April 25th bank holiday during a night out. Mr Lloyd and Miss Nicalaous had taken the taxi from Mr Wolf's nightclub off Baldwin Street to Stokes Croft at 3am before the row started.

Eric Waley, prosecuting, told Bristol Crown Court Mr Lloyd and Miss Nicalaous had to tap on the window of Javed's taxi to wake him.

"They asked the defendant if he could take them to Cromwell Road for £7 but he said he would do it on the meter," he said.

"When the meter reached £6 they asked to be let out but the defendant continued to drive. Miss Nicalaous said they would call the police unless he stopped and he pulled over in Stokes Croft where the fare showed £8. They said they would only pay him £5 because they asked him to stop and he hadn't. They said he was arguing and being aggressive."

Playing CCTV evidence of the incident to the court, Mr Waley continued: "He (Javed) got out of his taxi seemed to put his arm out to stop them leaving and is then seen to throw a punch at Mr Lloyd who seems to block it with his arm.

"The defendant ran back to his car. Mr Lloyd left but then returned to take a photo on his Blackberry phone. This really aggravated the defendant. He started the engine and jolted the car forward on a couple of occasions causing Mr Lloyd to put his hands on the bonnet.

"Then a black cloud of dust can be seen from the wheels spinning where he clearly has his foot down on the accelerator. He drove into Mr Lloyd causing him to go onto the bonnet and when he fell off he hit his head on the floor."

Mr Waley added: "He was taken to the BRI where he was treated for cuts to his head and a fractured hand that had to be put in plaster."

Javed, 45 of Thicket Avenue, Fishponds, admitted dangerous driving and assault causing actual bodily harm. The defendant, who had no previous convictions, was jailed for six months and banned from the road for two years.

Timothy Rose, defending, said his client was scared during the row.

He had reacted in what was an "increasing panic," and that there had been "a degree of provocation," he added.

Mr Rose accepted the taxi was used as a weapon but said there was no pre-meditation in the act.

He said: "Mr Javed has lived here for 21 years. He has recently moved his wife and two young children over from Pakistan and frankly without him they will have no support, husband or father-figure.

"The result of this is he will lose his job. He can not expect to get his taxi licence back from the licensing authority."

Recorder Simon Foster told Javed: "It is quite plain that you deliberately used your taxi as a weapon.

"You drove deliberately at someone stood right in front of your vehicle. He was upon the bonnet of your car and carried down the road for some 25 metres before falling off and your vehicle disappeared around the corner.

"It is in my mind extraordinary that there was not more injuries caused. They could have been horrendous."

source: http://www.thisisbristol.co.uk/Bristol-taxi-driver-sped-away-man-bonnet/story-13909333-detail/story.html

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:32 am 

Looks like provocation to me......unless of course standing in front of a cab shouting 'come on' to the cab driver is an affectionate term in Bristol?

CC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:39 am 

Quote:
Eric Waley, prosecuting, told Bristol Crown Court Mr Lloyd and Miss Nicalaous had to tap on the window of Javed's taxi to wake him.

If you have to wake a driver up, why would you get in the taxi :? I know I wouldn't

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:53 am 
tbh we all know you can't do this sort of thing even if you feel like doing it, and even if it's kinda justified, why didn't he stop when asked to at £6 though, this alone stops me feeling the need to defend him.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:07 am 

As I was saying last week, has there been an upsurge in these kinds of attacks in the past couple of years?

Can't excuse what the driver did, but of course punters doing that kind of thing is commonplace, and it's inevitable that the occasional driver will just lose it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 11:14 am 
I accept he may well have been scared at the time, but it still looks like he was trying to milk the fare up as high as he could and ignored them when they said they wanted to get out, if the victim has refused to pay full stop though then the truth hasn't been fully uncovered has it.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:28 pm 

Dusty Bin wrote:
As I was saying last week, has there been an upsurge in these kinds of attacks in the past couple of years?

Can't excuse what the driver did, but of course punters doing that kind of thing is commonplace, and it's inevitable that the occasional driver will just lose it.

Sounds like he'd had enough and flipped his lid.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:29 pm 

Midlander wrote:

Fair play though.....was a comedy type moment which ended in tragedy :lol:

CC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 3:34 pm 

captain cab wrote:
Midlander wrote:

Fair play though.....was a comedy type moment which ended in tragedy :lol:

CC

Yep like always the driver has to pay for his actions.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:40 pm 

Sort of reminds me of something that happened down here about 10-15 years ago.

Lad laid down in the road to try and get a taxi to stop and pick him up one busy Saturday, and a PH driver didn't see him and run over his head and killed him.

Nice happy tale to repeat. :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 8:02 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Similar thing happened here 10 years ago but it was a drunk fell in the road in the early hours of xmas morning and was run over by a cab. the driver was eventually not charged over it which caused some acrimony as the drunk was the son of another cabbie

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:12 pm 

You can see the actual footage on the video on this page here:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/taxi-driver-ru ... spute.html

Kind of lends weight a bit to the theory that it's the kind of thing that's commonplace from punters, but of course the driver normally doesn't lose it in this way.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:18 pm 
Thats the trouble with some cars they lack a reverse gear, the footage looks nasty he must've been doing 40 mph by the time the guy is flung off the bonnet, and if the cabby had done no wrong he wouldn't have an issue with the guy taking a picture of the car, the crux of it is when they ask to stop at £6 and he refuses, why, why drive on ffs, or to sum it up, he's got a lot of stir to do now over £6, bargain, still I guess we all think on different levels.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:24 pm 

Doom wrote:
he must've been doing 40 mph by the time the guy is flung off the bonnet.

0-40 in 30 meters, what kind of car was it?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2011 4:39 pm 

Doom wrote:
Thats the trouble with some cars they lack a reverse gear, the footage looks nasty he must've been doing 40 mph by the time the guy is flung off the bonnet, and if the cabby had done no wrong he wouldn't have an issue with the guy taking a picture of the car, the crux of it is when they ask to stop at £6 and he refuses, why, why drive on ffs, or to sum it up, he's got a lot of stir to do now over £6, bargain, still I guess we all think on different levels.

What's all this about taking a photo anyway? The article says the victim was standing in front of the car to take a photo before it ran him over, but I can't see any sign of a camera, and his actions don't seem to be wholly that of a passive victim.

Problem with things like this is that usually the reporting portrays the thing in black and white, good v evil sort of thing, whereas the reality is probably a good bit more nuanced.

Of course, what the driver did was inexcusable, but up until the moment he pushed the throttle what does the average night shift taxi driver see here?