Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 6:12 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 3:41 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
\:D/

An Uber taxi driver accused of sexually assaulting two of his passengers in Leeds has lost an appeal to keep his private hire licence.

Leeds City Council claims Naveed Iqbal used his brother's Uber driver login while he was away and assaulted two women on separate occasions.

The city's crown court heard no charges had been brought, but a judge said it was him who carried out the attacks "on the balance of probabilities".
He was told to pay £1,500 in fees.

Mr Iqbal, 39, shared a Volkswagen Sharan people carrier with his brother, also an Uber driver, and picked up fares at night while his sibling worked in the day.

The court heard two women were picked up in Leeds city centre after nights out in December 2015, with the women sitting in the front passenger seat on both occasions.

Providing evidence via video-link, one woman said she fell asleep in the cab and woke up to find the driver of the vehicle fondling one of her breasts.

'Technical fault' defence

Another told the court she was taken to a dark road near her home and the Volkswagen's driver "put his hands on my chest and under my clothes".

Leeds City Council found the Uber driver account logged in at the time of the assaults belonged to Mr Iqbal's brother, but he was in Pakistan at the time.

Mr Iqbal denied using his brother's Uber login and sexually assaulting the two women, blaming a "technical fault" on the phone or the Uber app.

Leeds Crown Court heard two women were picked up in Leeds city centre after nights out in December 2015 and assaulted
Judge Simon Batiste told him the vehicle which picked the women up was "only ever used by two people" and one was out of the country.

Dismissing his appeal to retain his licence, he said: "We are satisfied that he is not a fit and proper person to hold a licence. :D

"He's extremely fortunate that criminal charges have not been brought against him." boooo

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 4:33 pm 

One more down.

How many 100s or 1000s to go? :sad:

P.S . Well done to the ladies for coming forward and giving evidence.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2017 9:55 pm 

What is the brother doing giving him his log in details .I do not think the full
story has been revealed .

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 4:15 am 

youbeenbusy wrote:
What is the brother doing giving him his log in details .I do not think the full
story has been revealed .

I doubt the sharing of log in details is solely a Uber phenomenon.

I suppose it’s easier if the drivers look similar, but how many times do we hear punters say the driver the other day didn’t know where he was going and looked nothing like his picture?

In the past new drivers, and their new faces, stood out and existing drivers indirectly enforced matters by raising questions to their legitimacy.

That’s all gone out the window now when you have 10s and 100s of TfL vehicles infesting the provinces 24/7.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 12, 2017 10:07 am 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Quote:
I suppose it’s easier if the drivers look similar, but how mttany times do we hear punters say the driver the other day didn’t know where he was going and looked nothing like his picture?

there is also a large measure of protectionism goes on as many existing drivers would be drummed out of their community if they shopped them. certainly round here it is accepted practice that drivers turn a blind eye to unlicensed relatives whilst they learn the town driving on their brother/cousins/uncles badge before doing the apology of a knowledge test that they have to take round here. we only get enforcement once a year and any unlicensed drivers would quickly be disappeared there is no way they would ever get caught

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !