Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 1:24 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:50 pm 

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... ry-attack/

A Dundee taxi trade chief says violence against drivers “seems to be getting worse” after a city cabbie had his back broken in a sickening incident at the weekend.

Police have launched a manhunt after the attack in the Stobswell area on Saturday night.

It happened after he got into an argument after someone had kicked his taxi.

Asked for his reaction, Graeme Stephen, the chairman of Dundee Taxi Association, said: “I have never heard anything like this before.

“Somebody getting their back broken? Things are going out of control.”

Mr Stephen added: “There can be a threat of violence towards drivers. It doesn’t happen all the time but when it does happen it seems to be getting worse.”

And he advised drivers not to get out of their vehicles to confront people who may be trying to damage their car.

“If the car has CCTV they can move the camera to get them in shot,” he said.

“Once they’ve got them in shot they can move away and phone the police.

“But I wouldn’t get out of the car. If someone has been drinking or on drugs they can sometimes find hidden strength."

Original piece on attack: https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... e-assault/

A Dundee taxi driver was left with a broken back after being assaulted in Stobswell on Saturday night.

Police said the assault occurred at the junction of Park Avenue and Morgan Street shortly before 9pm.

The driver was attacked by two men and left with what police described as “serious back injuries”.

It is understood the man worked for Tele Taxis and had his back broken in the attack , which occurred after he became embroiled in an argument after someone had kicked his taxi.

He got out the vehicle to confront the attacker and was then set upon by the two men.

A spokesman for Police Scotland’s Tayside Division said: “Police Scotland can confirm that it is investigating a serious assault which happened at the junction of Park Avenue and Morgan Street, Dundee, shortly before 9pm on Saturday.

“A taxi driver was assaulted by two persons and suffered serious back injuries as a result.

“We would like to trace two males, both about 5ft 10 and in their late teens or early 20s, one wearing a grey tracksuit, and the other wearing a purple top with white writing on it.”

Anyone with information is asked to contact Police Scotland on 101 or speak to any officer.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 8:57 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
It's about time we treated nasty scr*t^s like this as what they are wild animals a nice lethal injection and they ain't ever going to do it again

seriously though I think the local trade should get a posse together and make it clear to the police get him before they do

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:31 pm 

I don't work late late anymore, but all these attacks don't surprise me at all.

The country is chock a block full of smack heads and our trade is seen as easy fodder for them.

Not sure what the answer really is. :sad:

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 10:37 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:

The country is chock a block full of smack heads and our trade is seen as easy fodder for them.

more effective policing of the drugs trade :wink:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:25 pm 

edders23 wrote:
It's about time we treated nasty scr*t^s like this as what they are wild animals a nice lethal injection and they ain't ever going to do it again

seriously though I think the local trade should get a posse together and make it clear to the police get him before they do

Problem is you don't know who you might be dealing with.

Two guys knocked senseless in pub in the area, and bar staff just walk round them and don't even phone for ambulance, never mind police!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-35362346

Even one of the local Reverends did the hard man act when attacked by a junkie in the area recently:

Mr Robertson said although the man’s blows were not painful, he was concerned the situation could have spun further out of control.

“I could have blown him over – he was at least a foot shorter than me. I told him to back off unless he wanted to get in serious trouble,” said Mr Robertson.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... -daylight/

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:36 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Sussex wrote:

more effective policing of the drugs trade :wink:

Any policing at all would be a help :shock:

This is latest from a senior Glasgow councillor about a "safe drug consumption facility", ie to make it easier and safer for addicts to get their fix, in my opinion just encouraging drug use.

The councillor works for Nicola Sturgeon, and it's just the fault of Westminster Tories that such a facility isn't allowed. ](*,)

Which begs question, if drugs laws still controlled by Westminster then why are there hundreds in Glasgow known to the authorities and permanently off their face on illegal drugs, as portrayed by the councillor's article? #-o

http://bellacaledonia.org.uk/2017/12/15 ... -fix-room/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 6:07 am 

StuartW wrote:
edders23 wrote:

Problem is you don't know who you might be dealing with.

Two guys knocked senseless in pub in the area, and bar staff just walk round them and don't even phone for ambulance, never mind police!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-35362346

Even one of the local Reverends did the hard man act when attacked by a junkie in the area recently:

Mr Robertson said although the man’s blows were not painful, he was concerned the situation could have spun further out of control.

“I could have blown him over – he was at least a foot shorter than me. I told him to back off unless he wanted to get in serious trouble,” said Mr Robertson.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... -daylight/

Three teenagers detained in connection with the murder of a man in Dundee at the weekend.

Nothing to do with taxis, but just couple of hundred yards from where the taxi driver had his back broken by three teenagers just before Xmas.

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... ad-injury/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2018 9:13 pm 

Can well understand why Uber are not rushing to the Dundee party.

:sad: :sad: :sad: :sad:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:32 am 

Sussex wrote:
Can well understand why Uber are not rushing to the Dundee party.

Funny you should mention Dundee parties, because now police asking taxi drivers to report teenagers going to house parties, following the murder last weekend and another violent incident involving teenagers which left the victim in a serious condition (also reported to police by an early morning taxi driver).

No mention of the taxi driver who had his back broken, but that also reportedly involved three teenagers.

Police ask taxi drivers to tell them where Dundee parties are

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... rties-are/

Dundee taxi drivers are being urged to inform police if they drop teenagers off at house parties following a series of high-profile violent crimes.

A letter sent to taxi companies in the city asks that drivers notify Police Scotland’s Tayside Division of any suspected parties and report passengers if they think they are drunk or on drugs.

Some taxi drivers in the Dundee disagree with what police are asking of them.

Qaiser Habib is the director of Dundee City Taxis and a member of the city’s council and taxi liaison board.

He said it was not the role of drivers in Dundee to monitor what their fares were up to and it was not part of the operating conditions of being a licensed driver.

The police say they are asking cabbies to be their eyes and ears following a number of violent crimes in Dundee in recent weeks.

A 17-year-old youth remains in a serious condition in Ninewells Hospital after he was found unconscious in Adelaide Place just before Christmas.

Two 15-year-old boys were charged in connection with the incident.

Earlier this week, three teenagers appeared in court in connection with the death of 50-year-old John Watt, who was found injured in Albert Street on Sunday morning.

The letter, seen by The Courier, does not specifically refer to any incidents.

However, it states: “Following a number of recent well-publicised incidents of violent crime around Dundee involving youths from house parties carrying out said acts, Dundee Local Policing Area seek your assistance in identifying any such party flats where those attending are mostly teenagers.”

It goes on: “Should any of your drivers collect passengers who are on their way to what would appear to be a party, we request that we be contacted and advised of the address of the party, and any other information you can provide.”

Cabbies are asked to take note of any information that could be helpful to police, such as the number of people at the party, whether or not they appear to be under the influence of drugs or alcohol, or if they are carrying alcohol.

Drivers are told they do not have to remain at the address but can instead provide the information to their control centre, who will then contact Police Scotland’s non-emergency line.

It adds the force is aware of “where most house parties occur” and says these are monitored on a “week-to-week basis.”

But it says “new locations are frequently used and any assistance you can provide will assist police in taking enforcement action, ensuring public safety for both yourselves and members of the public.”

Mr Habib said: “It is an odd question being asked by police.

“It is not our job to monitor what people get up to once they are out of the cab, we are not the police. Our job, as professional drivers, is to make sure the people we pick up arrive at their destination safely and securely.

“If something does happen, then the police can contact the main office and we will gladly help them.

“We cannot guess what people are up to once they leave the taxi and it is not our job to do so.”

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:55 pm 

StuartW wrote:
He said it was not the role of drivers in Dundee to monitor what their fares were up to and it was not part of the operating conditions of being a licensed driver.

So if a bloke asks to go to the bank, and just before you pull up he puts a balaclava on, and then pulls out a gun on his way into the bank, the driver doesn't have a duty to report?

Or a young girl off her head is taken to an address by three blokes, is something the driver can just ignore and not report to police?

What if a fella gets off a bus and goes over and punches a cab driver on the nose, would we all be happy if the bus driver who has witnessed the attack says nothing about it?

Some drivers reps should really learn when to keep their big fat gobs shut. :sad:

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
StuartW wrote:

So if a bloke asks to go to the bank, and just before you pull up he puts a balaclava on, and then pulls out a gun on his way into the bank, the driver doesn't have a duty to report?

Or a young girl off her head is taken to an address by three blokes, is something the driver can just ignore and not report to police?

What if a fella gets off a bus and goes over and punches a cab driver on the nose, would we all be happy if the bus driver who has witnessed the attack says nothing about it?

Some drivers reps should really learn when to keep their big fat gobs shut. :sad:

Yes, but if a driver doesn't report such incidents already then I can't see how what the police are requesting here would change that. It all sounds a bit vague and if drivers reported the kind of thing being asked then they'd never be off the phone to the police.

Anyway, from what I know about the trade in Dundee I wouldn't have thought that the driver quoted is particularly representative of the Dundee trade. Seems to be a newish kid on the block who's well connected and good at generating publicity, so probably the kind of person that the media will ask to comment irrespective of whether they're really best placed to comment.

Can't remember if this was posted on here, but the same person has apparently brought the first Tesla taxi to Dundee - can't believe that'll be ranking up outside the pubs and clubs in Dundee, somehow. :roll:

https://www.thecourier.co.uk/fp/news/lo ... esla-taxi/

And looking at the firm's website, looks like photos of some kind of opening ceremony, and they've got two Dundee councillors in attendance, and two SNP Government cabinet ministers - obviously well connected. :shock:

https://dundeecitytaxi.com/

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:48 pm 

Two scroats arrested.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-t ... l-42689658