Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:11 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:35 pm 

Smart Parking are BPA and offer POPLA. They are dead easy to beat, normally declining to offer evidence to POPLA in response to the standard 4000+ word appeal. They don't do court, so even a loss at POPLA will only mean 6 years of loo roll coming through the door.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:18 am 

cabbyman wrote:
Smart Parking are BPA and offer POPLA. They are dead easy to beat, normally declining to offer evidence to POPLA in response to the standard 4000+ word appeal. They don't do court, so even a loss at POPLA will only mean 6 years of loo roll coming through the door.

With respect, on tickets from this carpark at least there is no mention of POPLA and in fact the letter expressly states that they do not subscribe to any independant adjudicator.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:35 am 

Well, they have to offer an appeal service. If they don't do court, then what are they going to do about it? There's no other way to collect their "fine". If they persist with their letters, phone calls or whatever else, tell them you will take action under the Protection from Harassment Act. Tell them politely or impolitely to 'go away".

Maybe they don't subscribe to POPLA because every time they have to deal with an appeal costs them £26.

Who is it that is actually trying to issue these "fines"? It sounds like the remnants of the cowboy operators that used to spring up in the days when clamping was rife. Usually a load of knuckle dragging thugs. They usually try to get details of the registered keeper from the DVLA. If this has happened, then write to the DVLA claiming misuse of their system by the parking people. Then don't give them any driver details, after all any "contract" would be between them and the driver and there's no legal obligation to give driver details.

As someone said earlier, post the details on Pepipoo in the private parking forum

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:26 pm 

roythebus wrote:
Well, they have to offer an appeal service. If they don't do court, then what are they going to do about it? There's no other way to collect their "fine". If they persist with their letters, phone calls or whatever else, tell them you will take action under the Protection from Harassment Act. Tell them politely or impolitely to 'go away".

Maybe they don't subscribe to POPLA because every time they have to deal with an appeal costs them £26.

Who is it that is actually trying to issue these "fines"? It sounds like the remnants of the cowboy operators that used to spring up in the days when clamping was rife. Usually a load of knuckle dragging thugs. They usually try to get details of the registered keeper from the DVLA. If this has happened, then write to the DVLA claiming misuse of their system by the parking people. Then don't give them any driver details, after all any "contract" would be between them and the driver and there's no legal obligation to give driver details.

As someone said earlier, post the details on Pepipoo in the private parking forum

There is an ANPR camera that captires the images. The company issue the ticket for £120 with no reduction for early payment. You appeal to the company who subsequently dismiss the appeal with no other option than to pay or risk going to court.
Obviously they think that the threat of court proceedings will make most people pay. Our driver is now waiting to see if they will take him to court but I do know people who have paid the £120 but they were not taxi drivers.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:11 pm 

grandad wrote:
cabbyman wrote:

With respect, on tickets from this carpark at least there is no mention of POPLA and in fact the letter expressly states that they do not subscribe to any independant adjudicator.

If they don't offer an independent appeal process then I'm sort of sure the DVLA shouldn't be giving out the owners details.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:12 pm 

grandad wrote:
but I do know people who have paid the £120 but they were not taxi drivers.

Any chance you can give me their details so I can send a few fake invoices to them myself.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 13, 2018 10:51 pm 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

Any chance you can give me their details so I can send a few fake invoices to them myself.
Sounds like a good idea to me. there's always sheeple out there who just obey and wonder why they get conned.

In my few years cabbing, I must have acquired 7 or 8 parking tickets. I challenged every one and won every one.

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:10 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

One of the idiots that paid works in our office. You would have thought he would know better. maybe I should offer to cut his wages so he can claim benefits. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jan 15, 2018 4:19 pm 

grandad wrote:
cabbyman wrote:

It's hidden in the body of a paragraph on the back, if it is the 'genuine' Smart Parking. If it's an imposter, even more reason not to pay.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:03 am 

cabbyman wrote:
grandad wrote:

It's hidden in the body of a paragraph on the back, if it is the 'genuine' Smart Parking. If it's an imposter, even more reason not to pay.

The letter that was sent dismissing the appeal states NO FURTHER APPEAL IS PERMITTED.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 16, 2018 10:18 pm 

grandad wrote:
The letter that was sent dismissing the appeal states NO FURTHER APPEAL IS PERMITTED.

That in itself means, at least to me, that it will never make a county court.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 17, 2018 9:59 am 

Sussex wrote:
grandad wrote:

That in itself means, at least to me, that it will never make a county court.

This is our thinking as well. We will see (or not) as the case may be.