Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:53 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:30 am 

Doing 47 hrs mon to fri.

Some really really dry spells mid morning late afternoon.

Drivers all pile off home around half 4 so I stay and usually 1 or 2 others max and mop up the work.

Different shifts worked compared to my usual patterns. But with no office rent and my car is outright paid for. I am getting my bills paid and food money earned.

Giving the gaffa between 10-15% of my data earnings as a token gesture.

Not displaying earnings on here. But until I get sick. Anything I earn over bills n food is saved in case I need a few weeks off.

I used to sigh and moan about getting pulled to a crap job. But my mentality now is that there are no crap jobs. Just thankful for a customer.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 12:36 pm 

And of course with hardly any traffic it’s not the end of the world to run for a local job.

Defo the only thing I’m going miss when we get back to some resemblance of normality is the empty roads.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:01 pm 

Trying to explain to millennials that the way the roads are now, is exactly what EVERY Sunday was like when I was that age.

My head will burst when the first school morning and rush hour return. :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 1:48 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Not sure what sort of trade there will be after this already we have had two local hotels go into liquidation one of which did a lot of weddings and the other was run by another hotel which appears to still be in business but time will tell

Already several shops have announced they will not reopen and about a third of the shops are now empty shells with all stock and some fittings gone so there won't be much to draw shoppers in not that they were frequenting the town centre so much these days so I suspect that once things start to return to normal there won't be enough to support all of the trade

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:12 pm 

edders23 wrote:
Not sure what sort of trade there will be after this already we have had two local hotels go into liquidation one of which did a lot of weddings and the other was run by another hotel which appears to still be in business but time will tell

Already several shops have announced they will not reopen and about a third of the shops are now empty shells with all stock and some fittings gone so there won't be much to draw shoppers in not that they were frequenting the town centre so much these days so I suspect that once things start to return to normal there won't be enough to support all of the trade

The rich folks will be buying up lots of bargains like hotels in the coming months.

And big taxi fleets will be living in reception of liquidators, waiting to gobble up any assets they can.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:16 pm 

edders23 wrote:

It will be, it has been, grim in the short term, but I think in time it will get back to some resemblance of what we had.

Hotels that go bust will be brought back, possibly by the same people. Shops have struggled with online for a few years now, and I suspect many shops will not come back, but their trade will operate out of their garage online.

It will get better, not fast, but it will get better.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 6:18 pm 

Quote:
The rich folks will be buying up lots of bargains like hotels in the coming months.

Mrs Sx's bosses are billionaires who are taking a bit of a bashing at the mo, but they have plenty of cash to mopp up bargains in the near future.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 7:08 pm 

Bit more in an article from the Morning Star re Unite the Union's concern.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... ent-scheme

PostPosted: Mon Apr 20, 2020 8:00 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Sussex wrote:
Bit more in an article from the Morning Star re Unite the Union's concern.

https://morningstaronline.co.uk/article ... ent-scheme

YOU read the morning star :shock: sounds like trotsky has converted you :shock:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:17 pm 

Defo not worth delivering food by the sounds of this article. (albeit a USA article about the UK)

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/04/23/uber-ea ... -fall.html

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:19 pm 

Quote:
Deliveroo is giving riders free hand sanitizer and face masks

Surely they all have gloves and crash helmets. :-k

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 8:58 pm 

Interesting article about the current situation in the German taxi trade.

https://www.dw.com/en/coronavirus-germa ... a-53225593

Very similar to what we have here, but I loved this quote.

Taxis form part of Germany's local public transportation systems and have a legal obligation to operate unless told otherwise.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:48 pm 

Things seems to be picking up a bit in London, albeit from a very low base, according to this article from Taxi-Point.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/londo ... m-covid-19

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:00 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Things seems to be picking up a bit in London, albeit from a very low base, according to this article from Taxi-Point.

https://www.taxi-point.co.uk/post/londo ... m-covid-19

A 44% increase on virtually nothing may sound great but its still virtually nowt.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:26 pm 

Sussex wrote:
edders23 wrote:

It will be, it has been, grim in the short term, but I think in time it will get back to some resemblance of what we had.

Hotels that go bust will be brought back, possibly by the same people. Shops have struggled with online for a few years now, and I suspect many shops will not come back, but their trade will operate out of their garage online.

It will get better, not fast, but it will get better.

WELL it cannot get any worse.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 123 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next