Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Oct 27, 2024 10:24 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 5:27 pm 

Government to crack down on rogue London pedicabs

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-67344607

A crackdown on rogue pedicab operators in London has been announced in the King's Speech.

The government's Pedicabs (London) Bill will hand Transport for London (TfL) the power to implement a licensing regime.

TfL will also be able control fares, ensure drivers undergo criminal record checks and set safety standards.

There have been growing concerns about unsafe pedicabs and passengers being ripped off.

In July, the BBC reported that a tourist with two children was charged £464 for a 1.3-mile (2km), seven-minute journey.

Last year in London's West End a tourist was charged £300 for a mile-long (1.6km) trip from Selfridges to Green Park station.

Another was charged £180 for a three-minute journey, even though an £18 fare had already been agreed.

Adam Hug, the Labour leader of Westminster City Council, welcomed the announcement on pedicabs, but expressed disappointment that the King's Speech did not include action on e-bikes and scooters.

He said: "I am disappointed that the government has not delivered on promises made last year to legislate on e-bikes and scooters.

"While we welcome the action on pedicabs, this is an issue which mainly affects tourists and leaves the wider problems caused by some e-bike and scooter riders unchallenged."

Mr Hug said there were up to 2,000 e-bikes in the borough at any given time and "with no regulations around their hire, operation or parking".

He said they caused problems for people with disabilities, people with prams and other pedestrians walking in busy roads, and legislation and subsequent regulation was needed.

Owner of pedicab company Bugbugs, Friedel Schroder, welcomed the news.

"It's handy for us to have legislation and rules and regulations for the operators which includes insurance," he said.

"For us that's been an issue; we've been competing against operators who don't follow any rules, who can do what they want, and that makes it difficult.

"It's shame that they don't involve the industry in making the decisions, because then it's take it or leave it."

Analysis by Tom Edwards, BBC London transport correspondent

Some of the pedicabs you see in London do not look safe and the riding can be very erratic.

And there have been countless stories of tourists getting charged horrendous amounts of money for very short journeys.

So, a clampdown on pedicabs or rickshaws in London is long overdue.

Councils and legitimate operators have been battling for years to get the industry regulated but no-one has paid any attention.

I even remember black cab drivers taking pedicab operators to court to get them banned - it did not work.

Now the loophole in the law will be closed. The law dates back to 1869 as pedicabs are at the moment classed as stage carriages.

And it seems that the industry will face regulation and safety standards.

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 7:26 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
so they are finally going to sort the pedicabs out BUT...

... the taxi and PH bill which has been buried in whitehall ! :sad:

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2023 9:16 pm 

Quote:
... the taxi and PH bill which has been buried in whitehall ! :sad:

There is a school of thought that maybe that Bill should be left to any incoming Labour government, if indeed there is one.

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2023 9:49 pm 

Pedicab rider says price 6 times higher than Uber is 'fair' amid claims tourists are being 'ripped off'

https://www.mylondon.news/news/zone-1-n ... 6-28053571

A pedicab rider who charges £50 for a 10-minute ride through the capital has said his price is 'fair' given the 'hard work' it takes to transport people by bike. The LDRS went undercover to speak to pedicab riders in London's Leicester Square and spoke to riders about overcharging on the unregulated service after an American tourist was charged £250 for a five-minute ride.

The rider, who has not been identified, said his prices were “fair” and tried charging £50 for an extended ride to Covent Garden from Leicester Square. The same trip on Uber would have cost around £8 at the time.

Authorities are cracking down on pedicabs after reports of visitors being charged hundreds of pounds for short trips around the capital. Westminster City Council claimed passengers were being charged close to £500 for 10-minute trips across the West End.

When LDRS went undercover one Friday night in Leicester Square, quotes for a trip to Greek Street in Soho or Covent Garden, both within walking distance, were between £20 and £50. Using an Uber for these journeys, without detours, costs no more than £8.

The first rider I approached said it was £20 just to set off. That price doubled when a driver in Chinatown wanted me to go for a ride “around the City” when my destination was just a six-minute walk away. A third quoted me £40 to get around Soho and £50 to get dropped off at the Punch and Judy bar afterwards.

However, one rider became agitated when asked for a price list. He said: “Most of the other guys have one but I don’t because I know the work, innit? If you looked at the price list, you’d be running far. The price list is more expensive.”

The rider claimed his pricing was “fair”. Becoming visibly annoyed, he said: “Like I said, you just asked me and I told you £5 a minute. If it’s you, and two more people, I won’t charge them.

“This is a real bike. It doesn’t have a motor in there. So, for me, it’s harder work. I can’t speak for everybody else, my brother.”

The conversation took a turn when a woman interrupted asking for directions. I quizzed the ride on how much that trip would cost and he angrily shot back: “I don’t think you’re here to ride, but you’re here to investigate, and that’s fine.

“You’re probably speaking to the wrong man, if you want to catch somebody out. [If] you want to catch somebody out, go and try the other riders, because I’m fair.”

When asked who those riders were, he responded: “I don’t know my brother. That’s some police s*** you’re coming up with. You’re probably the police. It doesn’t matter who comes to me, it’s going to be the same.”

He added: “When people say ripping off, what is ripping off? We’re riding this f***** heavy s***. People should f****** try and ride this themselves and then they will think differently.”

The rider said the minimum he charged customers for a tour around Soho was £50, or £5 a minute.

When asked what pricing structure was in place for pedicabs operating in central London, Westminster City Council said they are ‘still looking into the most suitable approach to the pricing guidelines’. The investigation comes as King Charles announced plans to deal with the ‘scourge of unlicensed pedicabs in London’ during his first King’s Speech to Parliament.

‘PLAGUED RESIDENTS AND BUSINESSES FOR YEARS’

Regulating pedicabs has become a pressing issue for Westminster City Council, which has been campaigning for a change in the law.

Under the Metropolitan Public Carriage Act 1869, pedicabs can operate in London without a licence.

The council and local MP, Nickie Aiken, want transport laws updated to give Transport for London (TfL) the power to issue licences.

In a letter to the government ahead of the King’s Speech, Westminster City Council leader Adam Hug wrote: “We must have appropriate legislation in place to regulate pedicabs, e-scooters, e-bikes and tackle vehicle idling - to provide safer streets and regulate these growing problems.”

The Labour councillor said pedicabs have “plagued residents and businesses for years”.

He wrote: “It seems clear that we need the Government to bring forward the necessary legislation themselves to deliver this change. It is the least our residents can expect their government to do for them after the disappointment they felt after the last time this was promised but not delivered.”

Ms Aiken is hopeful her Private Member’s Bill regulating pedicabs will be picked up by Rishi Sunak’s team and run through parliament.

She said: “This is a no-brainer. We don’t know how safe the vehicles are. We don’t know if the drivers are fit to take passengers and there is no regulation whatsoever. This is the Wild West of transport and it needs to be regulated and it needs to be regulated urgently.”

A TfL spokesperson said: “Pedicabs are the only form of unregulated public transport in London, and as such impact the safety of the capital’s road network, as well as customers being charged well-documented rip-off fares.

“As they are unregulated, drivers and vehicles have not undergone any checks, which could potentially mean an increased danger to pedicab customers and other road users. We continue to support the call for new legislation which will allow us to regulate pedicabs in London to improve safety.”

The Government's Pedicabs (London) Bill announced in the King's Speech will give TfL the power to issue licences.

The Met was contacted for comment but did not reply by the time of publishing.