Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Oct 25, 2024 10:28 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 11:57 am 

This has been rehashed by the BBC News site, but this is the official Cambs Police Facebook post below.

A bit more going on than the Clitheroe checks, but 40 cars stopped here rather than just six, so statistically you'd expect more faults even if the cars in general were similarly safe. Or unsafe :?

But even allowing for that, certainly looks a lot worse than Clitheroe :-o

More than 40 taxis were stopped by officers carrying out spot checks as part of a joint operation.

https://www.facebook.com/policingpeterb ... cale=en_GB

Licensing officers from Peterborough City Council and vehicle examiners from the DVSA joined traffic cops in Millfield for a day of action for Operation Insured, where two vehicles were seized due to no insurance, one was found to be in a dangerous condition and a driver had fraudulently created their own driving licence.

Several drivers were also reported for tyres being below the legal limit and licencing officers suspended two drivers due to breaches of their licence and gave several warnings.

Casualty Reduction Officer, PC Nick Southern, said: “The vast majority of taxi drivers are professionals and help keep the public safe by ensuring their vehicles are safe, a pre-booking for private hire is in place so if a collision does occur, the public are covered financially.

"I’m happy that the vast majority of drivers do exactly that, however some did not, so positive action has been taken."

#SaferCambs

Photos - they look a bit mob handed at the end there :-o

https://scontent.fgla2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=6560FD3D

https://scontent.fgla2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=65602119

https://scontent.fgla2-1.fna.fbcdn.net/ ... e=656031EF

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:23 pm 

As someone has pointed out in the Facebook comments, the two vehicles in the photos presumably aren't plated vehicles. So that made me think about past stuff like this that's been about road users generally, but which mention taxis, and to that extent some people think it's all about the trade.

But the text of the official post is certainly specific about 'taxis', so presumably there's nothing misleading there except for the photos, and maybe the exercise did involve more than the trade, which might explain the number of police officers in the final photo.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 12:24 pm 

On the other hand, as the Peterborough PHA claims on Facebook, the worst of the cars were actually licensed by other authorities.

Quote:
Once again whoever runs the page get their information correct and STOP vilifying our trade.

None of the Peterborough-licensed vehicles were removed from the roads. In FACT, the licensing authority where impressed with the level of excellent quality of vehicles and drivers compliance.

The NON COMPLIANT vehicles are licenced in "OTHER" counties authorities like Huntingtonshire etc
This is not politics and we don't know what narrative you are trying to spin. STOP POSTING [bull]

They also tagged in a councillor with this post:

Quote:
This is the problem where the PPC delay their communication. You attended the meeting when licensing informed us of how well Peterborough licensed drivers/vehicles have done.

The police generalised and Peterborough-licensed vehicles were not insuranced and not specifying that they were NOT Peterborough licensed taxi drivers.

Apart from some sticker infringements and plate not in mounted properly (miner thing). Our taxi drivers did GREAT.

The councillor replies:

Quote:
Peterborough Private Hire Association thank you for tagging me. I will ask the Cambridgeshire Constabulary to rectify this statement as it really does reflect poorly and disenfranchises the hard work of all that you do to support the drivers and the positive relationships that we are all trying to build upon with all stakeholders. I shall get onto this straight away.

Quote:
Peterborough Private Hire and Policing Peterborough please get in touch with me on shabina.qayyum@peterborough.gov.uk as our meeting with PCC officers have an account that isnt representative in a negative way of our Taxi Drivers in Peterborough, thank you.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 2:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
None of those photos showed a vehicle that I would recognise as a Peterborough PH vehicle they have to have door signs which more or less cover the drivers or passenger door and many have lots of logos associated with their operator also. I am also struggling to recognise the location as anywhere close to the city centre.

Oh and that particular councilllor did get suspended by the labour party for anti semitism and I believe has family connections to the local PH trade so may not be without some bias

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:13 pm 

Quote:
Photos - they look a bit mob handed at the end there :-o

At least 13 officers to stop a few taxis/PHVs. :-k

IMO the police had to justify the huge manpower used for these checks by giving the view that they did absolutely brilliant, when in fact they didn't.

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:29 pm 

Sussex, I was guessing maybe 11 police officers, assuming the one on the left with the beanie is an LO, as well as the furthest away one with the blue patch on his high-viz.

Still a lot of people, though, which maybe suggests there was more to it than just trade vehicles, which indeed the first photo suggests.

But, and with regard to what Edders said, the nearest vehicle in the second photo deffo looks like it's plated, with a huge plate in the back window, and a big logo on the rear door :-o

PostPosted: Mon Nov 20, 2023 10:32 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
Sussex, I was guessing maybe 11 police officers, assuming the one on the left with the beanie is an LO, as well as the furthest away one with the blue patch on his high-viz.

Still a lot of people, though, which maybe suggests there was more to it than just trade vehicles, which indeed the first photo suggests.

But, and with regard to what Edders said, the nearest vehicle in the second photo deffo looks like it's plated, with a huge plate in the back window, and a big logo on the rear door :-o

Yes but NOT a Peterborough licensed car (probably huntingdonshire) which a lot of P'boro firms use as Huntingdonshire covers the outskirts of Peterborough :wink: