Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 2:49 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:02 am 

Nothing out of the ordinary here - just another rise ](*,)

Haven't been down for a few weeks, but I assume Edinburgh will be the same - the charging structure seems identical for the short-stay drop/pickup zone - 15 minutes for a fiver or so then £1 a minute :roll:

(And can't remember the last time I was at Glasgow Airport either - literally years ago :-o

I'd guess 95% of people getting taxis to airports from St Andrews go to Edinburgh Airport.)

Glasgow Airport price hike branded 'outrageous' as taxi driver fears for trade

https://www.glasgowlive.co.uk/news/glas ... d-28645809

It will cost anyone entering the pick-up/drop-off zone £5.50 for up to 15 minutes, 50p more than last years initial raise from £4 to £5 - and there's been a mixed reaction to the changes.

A taxi driver fears business will take a hit after Glasgow Airport recently increased pick-up and drop-off charges in a move that's been branded "outrageous".

George Mullen, of Glasgow Taxis, says drivers will have no choice but to pass the charge onto customers. It comes after a decision to bump up prices came into effect from midnight on Wednesday, February 14.

It will cost anyone entering the pick-up/drop-off zone £5.50 for up to 15 minutes, 50p more than last years initial raise from £4 to £5. For motorists who stay longer than the 15-minute allocated time, they will be charged £1 for every extra minute.

Bosses are advising drivers who wish to use parking facilities for more than 15 minutes to use the Short Stay car park, which costs £15 for 60 minutes. There is no change for blue badge holders - who are entitled to 30 minutes free in the Short Stay car park.

George, who makes around six trips to the airport a week, has slammed the move.

The 62-year-old, of Springboig, said: "We used to be able to drop off there for nothing. There’s guys who get quite a few airport jobs each day and they are having to charge people over a fiver but what is it for?

"That airport has never been busier than what it is now so there’s no reason for any charges. It’ll add on to the customer because we cannot swallow it.

"You can’t say to people that you’ll drop them off across the road somewhere and they will have to walk through roundabouts and car parks. A family going to the airport doesn’t want dropped off around the corner when going on holiday.

"Less people are going to use taxis to the airport which will reduce our business. It’s shocking and outrageous.

"They should reduce the charge or make taxis exempt from paying it."

Travellers have also had their say on the price hike - and there's been a mixed reaction.

Luzier Jeffrey said: "Atrocious! If the transport system to the airport was better I could understand this but its practically non existent. Edinburgh looks like my shout in the future."

Maureen Sharkey wrote: "It used to be a pleasant trip to the airport both dropping and meeting friends and relatives. Those days are long gone. It's miserable now."

Andrew Grieve added: "This is absolutely disgusting ripping people off to drop someone off, especially those who have mobility issues. A disgusting way to treat people, should be free for under 10 minutes."

On the other hand, Chris Lavelle said: "It's a private airport that wants to generate income, why are folk surprised? If you don't want to pay, get the bus."

Craig McEwan added: "I can understand why. Last time I dropped people off at Glasgow Airport the drop off point was jammed with selfish folk who thought they could double park for five minutes and to heck with everyone else."

A Glasgow Airport spokesperson said: "We would remind passengers that this facility is designed purely for pick-up and drop-off transactions under 15 minutes. Anyone planning to stay longer should use one of our short-stay parking options.

"The free option in our Long-Stay Car Park has also been increased from 30 minutes to one hour and is serviced by an on-demand 24-hour shuttle service."

Pick-up & Drop-off charges are priced below

Pick up & Drop Off (15 minutes) - £5.50

Per minute thereafter - £1.00

Short Stay (60 minutes) - £15.00

Find more information here.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 10:04 am 

Glasgow Airport comms/PR person wrote:
"The free option in our Long-Stay Car Park has also been increased from 30 minutes to one hour and is serviced by an on-demand 24-hour shuttle service."

Yes, drop people in a taxi at the airport and they then get on the shuttle service ](*,)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 12:56 pm 

I can't see a family of 4 who have paid a couple of grand for their holiday moaning about an extra 50 pence on the drop off.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:10 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Glasgow Airport comms/PR person wrote:

Yes, drop people in a taxi at the airport and they then get on the shuttle service ](*,)

It drives me mad when the airport people spout that utter tosh time and time again. [-X

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2024 8:14 pm 

grandad wrote:
I can't see a family of 4 who have paid a couple of grand for their holiday moaning about an extra 50 pence on the drop off.

But they do.

I just get how the airport people can increase it by 20% and no one from the competition authorities gets involved. On principle I never buy anything at an airport.