Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 9:30 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:12 pm 

Despite the incessant use of the t-word, and the stock photo of the fixed taxi rooflight ('pod' is it they're called?) used to illustrate the piece, this is presumably about private hire cars.

And which is sort of confirmed at the end, when it mentions the city's black cab 'hackney carriages' as if they're a different beast, implying that the rest of the piece is about PHVs...

But which in turn maybe suggests that the age rules being discussed aren't particularly onerous, and the proposed relaxed rules maybe suggest there's no point in having age rule at all? :-o

I mean, nine-years on, 15-years off for saloons?

Taxi drivers appeal to Leicester residents for help over policy change

https://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/news ... ts-9112431

Drivers have to work longer hours and spend less time with family just to pay for newer cars

Leicester’s taxi drivers have issued an appeal to members of the public over a proposed policy change. Leicester City Council is currently consulting on a scheme that would extend how old a taxi can be when it is licensed.

Currently, taxis cannot be more than five years old when they are first registered with Leicester City Council and must be less than 11 years old when they are relicensed. The rule is intended to ensure vehicles are safe and suitable.

Similar rules are in place across the country, but the precise ages allowed can vary from council to council. The taxi policy was last reviewed in 2012, according to the authority, and since then the trade has experienced the pressures of the pandemic, the cost of living crisis and changing customer demand. The council is considering increasing the two age restrictions to up to nine years when first registered and up to 15 years when re-registered.

Tanveer Hussain, 51, is a taxi driver in the city and represents the Leicester Taxi Driver Group on the council. He told LeicestershireLive that buying a suitable car that is five years old or less can cost in the region of £20,000 to £30,000.

To be able to pay the finance on this, a driver must work for 10 to 15 hours more a week than they would to be able to afford a nine-year-old car, he claimed. For Mr Hussain, this means he is able to be at home with his family less. He has four children under the age of six.

He said: “We on average have got to do at least 15 hours extra to keep paying towards the car monthly payment. It's really hard and some of us, because they can't even get the finance, they are struggling to work.

“People have to work longer and spend less time with the family. Just to keep the expensive car, I'm doing on average 15 to 20 hours extra in a week.

“That’s 15 to 20 hours extra I could spend with my kids, my family, take them out and it would not affect my living wage. And this is the story of every second or third driver.”

Mr Hussain added: “What difference does it make if [a car is] nine years old, as long as it’s in good condition and the car is running fine and [meets the council’s] standard?”

He said the pressure of the cost of living crisis is really taking its toll on those in the trade. In addition to the cost of acquiring a policy-compliant car, fuel costs have also skyrocketed for drivers.

While fuel costs are outside of their control, Mr Hussain said the proposed changes will also help them in that regard. He said: “If I drive more, I'm gonna use more fuel. If I don't have to work, obviously I'm not spending [as much on] fuel.”

On behalf of city taxi drivers, Mr Hussain is calling on people to respond to the consultation and support their bid to extend the permissible age of their vehicles. The consultation can be found on the Leicester City Council website. People have until Sunday, February 25, to respond.

He added: “Leicester City Council has really come forward at this time to work with us for which we are very grateful. But at the same time, we want the public to be aware of it. We want to make Leicester city better for the public and for drivers, so we can all work together.”

Respondents to the consultation will be asked whether they believe the age for taxis being registered with the council should be reduced, stay the same or be increased to six, seven, eight or nine years. In terms of re-registering taxis, they will be asked if the age should be reduced, stay the same or increase to 12, 13, 14 or 15 years.

The number of hackney carriages – black cabs – around the city has fallen in recent years, Leicester City Council previously said. This is in part due to the cost of buying suitable vehicles, with the council saying it has been told by those in the trade there are very few affordable second-hand vehicles available.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 1:13 pm 

Quote:
Tanveer Hussain, 51, is a taxi driver in the city and represents the Leicester Taxi Driver Group on the council. He told LeicestershireLive that buying a suitable car that is five years old or less can cost in the region of £20,000 to £30,000.

They can cost that sort of money, but that's brand new prices for saloons, not cars less than five-years-old :?

Even if the age rule is increased to 15 years, it's still true to say that a suitable car can cost up to £30,000. If it's brand new :lol:

But I somehow doubt the public will be queuing up to support the driver's plea to allow 15-year-old cars on the road :-s

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 2:24 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
Not sure abouit up in the kingdom of fife but certainly round here anything 5 years or under suitable for taxi/ph use is £12-£15K starting price

second hand cars have become very expensive since the pandemic

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2024 9:16 pm 

This is just the start of it.

WAVs are simply not going to be viable in the future.

Yes, councils will extend and extend age limits, but eventually, all the old vehicles will end up dying no matter how many times they are patched up.

In ten years time I can't see how any council, bar London, will be able to mandate WAVs.