Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 2:53 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:50 pm 

This could be in any number of previous threads encompassing numerous local authorities either side of the Thames estuary (I think) - thus Essex and Kent, primarily.

But it's a while since we've had one, and it's easier to start a new thread than decide which old one to put it in :lol:

Transport for London licensed taxi drivers 'steal trade' in Basildon

https://www.echo-news.co.uk/news/241382 ... -basildon/

CABBIES are “at war” in the taxi ranks of Basildon as drivers from outside the area muscle in and steal valuable trade from them.

Taxi driver Keith Baddle has described it is a “national disgrace” as drivers from “out of area” muscle in on Basildon amid claims that taxis licensed by Transport for London and other local authorities are working in the borough.

A report, set to go before Basildon Council’s licensing committee next week, highlights an increase in “out of town” operators in the past five years and councillors will debate how they can tackle the issue.

Mr Baddle, secretary of the Basildon Borough Hackney Carriage Association, said: “It’s a national disgrace but that may be putting it too gently.

“Council has historically done the local licensing and sets standards and is responsible for the protection of the public in its area, the council can do some enforcement, but it cannot stop an ‘out of area’ vehicle.

“Licensing officers can’t stop the vehicle to check it, to make sure it is up to date and has the correct tyres, other operators have different standards.

“We must carry a fire extinguisher and we must do a local knowledge test, do these drivers from London even know the shortest distances to their destinations?”

He also raised concerns that taxis from outside the area lack in local knowledge to benefit customers - often leading to longer journeys and increased fares.

He added: “Any Saturday, ‘out of area’ vehicles are going from Basildon, up Noak Hill Road at 20mph and they have no clue where they are going, they look at their satnavs rather than the road and it is a risk to the general public’s safety.

“We are trying to fight for customers, we have been pushing Basildon Council to get a joint enforcement group. Basildon is being flooded with drivers who don’t have the appropriate knowledge, it is dodgy in the least.”

Nethermayne Independent councillor, Kerry Smith, said: “London is the problem, you know they are not local because they drive around and don’t know where they are, they stick out like a sore thumb. It is a war, they are undercutting us, Basildon companies are a better service and anyone who goes to a rank and gets in a Basildon cab will pay a fair fare.”

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2024 12:53 pm 

Quite strong words from the councillor (independent) at the end there - if it hadn't been attributed to the councillor, I'd have assumed it was a local driver or association :-o

Quote:
A report, set to go before Basildon Council’s licensing committee next week, highlights an increase in “out of town” operators in the past five years and councillors will debate how they can tackle the issue.

Yet another report with the same old conclusions, presumably :roll:

Keeps people in a job, though, and will give councillors something to huff and puff about :-o

Quote:
“Licensing officers can’t stop the vehicle to check it, to make sure it is up to date and has the correct tyres, other operators have different standards."

Maybe I'm reading what he's saying over-literally, but I've never known any operator nor indeed licensing authority that's had different standards for tyres, so not sure what his point is :lol:

Quote:
“We must carry a fire extinguisher..."

Yes, the fire extinguisher thing is a real deal-breaker when it comes to cross-border licensing :lol:

Anyway, excuse my cynicism, and I agree it's all a bit of a nonsense. On the other hand, it all seems a bit exaggerated and overwrought at times. I mean, I doubt every driver of every cross-border car is driving at 20mph all the time while gawping at their satnav, and 'sticking out like a sore thumb' [-(