Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Thu May 02, 2024 12:55 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm 

Came across this, which is almost six months old. It looks familiar, but can't find it on here via the search function...

But surprised he got a badge, since it's dealer quantities involved, and only three years prior to the hearing.

On the other hand, I'm surprised that in Scotland he wasn't awarded a medal :roll:

Man found with cannabis granted private hire licence

https://news.stv.tv/west-central/glasgo ... om-council

Martin Boyle’s bid for a licence was granted for a restricted period of one year, following an objection from Police Scotland.

A man found with cannabis worth an estimated £1,500 has been given permission to drive a private hire car, after councillors heard he has “improved his life”.

Martin Boyle’s bid for a licence was granted for a restricted period of one year, following an objection from Police Scotland. He was also issued a “severe warning” over his future conduct.

An officer told Glasgow’s licensing chiefs that although the applicant’s convictions were “ordinarily considered spent”, they were “deemed to be relevant” to the committee.

He said Mr Boyle had been convicted after a police search of an address in Glasgow in February 2020 uncovered “10 bars of cannabis, each bar weighing 100g, with a value of £150 per bar”.

“The applicant was convicted of being concerned in the supply of a controlled drug, namely cannabis,” he added.

Mr Boyle was ordered to carry out 120 hours of unpaid work and issued with a restriction of liberty order for nine weeks, the committee heard.

Councillor Alex Wilson, SNP, who chairs the committee, asked the police: “There is no way you could possibly say that 10 bars of cannabis was for personal use?”

The officer responded: “In 22 years of policing, I’d say no.”

However, a representative for the applicant said: “I would ask you to take into consideration the following, the conviction for which he is convicted is concerning the supply, it’s not possession with intent to supply.”

He said Mr Boyle had explained he was going through a “period of depression” after a “toxic relationship”. “He wasn’t a drinker, he was a smoker.”

His representative added the incident “correlated with the lockdown period” and “he had come across a person who gave him a deal that was in his view ‘too good to be true’”.

The applicant took the deal to “reduce the number of times he would have to frequent any dealer’s house”, councillors were told.

“He has improved his life,” the representative added. “Certainly by way of his mental health.”

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 3:21 pm 

Quote:
Councillor Alex Wilson, SNP, who chairs the committee, asked the police: “There is no way you could possibly say that 10 bars of cannabis was for personal use?”

Interesting that the convenor seems to entertain the possibility that he can second guess a criminal conviction 'beyond reasonable doubt'? It's kind of like 'double jeopardy' in reverse :?

Quote:
However, a representative for the applicant said: “I would ask you to take into consideration the following, the conviction for which he is convicted is concerning the supply, it’s not possession with intent to supply.”

No, me neither :-s

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 5:04 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I look forward to reading the article about the Glasgow PHD caught with a large quantity of drugs in their car in a few months time. :roll:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Feb 25, 2024 9:00 pm 

StuartW wrote:
Quote:

No, me neither :-s

I think he is saying he wasn't directly selling it to people on the street, it was a case he was holding/storing it for those who were.