Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 1:40 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:10 pm 

A few previous threads on this, but maybe this will be the last one :-o

And, ignoring the generic use of the t-word, I think the terminology here is a bit less jumbled than in previous articles.

Picture of health these guys, though 8-[

Taxi drivers in Reading win access to busy bus lane

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... -bus-lane/

Image: Reading Chronicle

Taxi drivers in Reading are celebrating after finally being given access to a busy bus lane after pleading for the rights for years.

In the town, taxis are divided into black cab Hackney Carriages, which can be hailed, and private hire cars, which must be booked in advance.

For years, private hire and cab drivers have been allowed to use the inbound King’s Road bus lane.

But for the outbound lane on the other side of the road, private hire drivers have been excluded, with access being only for buses, motorbikes, cyclists and cab drivers.

That is set to change after years of campaigning by drivers in the town.

Private hire drivers attempted to get access to the outbound King’s Road bus lane back in November 2022, but that attempt was shot down.

After that decision, drivers set up the Reading Private Hire Association (RPHA) the following month to advocate for drivers and continue to push for access to the bus lane.

At a recent council meeting, it was decided that private hire drivers should be given access.

Kamran Saddiq, chairman of the RPHA said: “Our passengers, members of the public, their safety is our utmost, we are trained professional drivers and are always a high priority into consideration when we are travelling on the King’s Road.”

Mr Saddiq complained that out-of-town drivers, those who have licences from other authorities from as far away as Fareham, the New Forest and Portsmouth are incorrectly using the bus lane while Reading drivers follow the rules and stick in normal traffic lanes.

He added: “We work for Reading, we represent Reading, I represent Reading, I am proud to be a Reading private hire driver.

“When we started our association, we could have called it something else, but we called it the RPHA because we are proud Reading drivers.”

Addressing concerns about taxis slowing down buses, Mr Saddiq suggested that ‘authorised vehicles only’ signage should be put up to deter rule breakers.

The same sign was installed at the inbound bus lane in July 2019, which Mr Saddiq argued had curbed unauthorised access.

A formal consultation was held with 849 responses received.

Of those 818 (96 per cent) supported the change, 33 objected with three responses neither supporting nor rejecting it.

John Ennis lead councillor for transport, called Mr Saddiq’s leadership ‘outstanding’ and said his campaign has been ‘hugely persuasive and responsible’.

Cllr Ennis (Labour, Southcote) then said that private hire drivers should be given access to the outbound lane permanently.

Agreeing, cllr James Moore (Liberal Democrats, Tilehurst) said: “I’ve always found it ludicrous that one side of the road does one thing and the other side does the other.”

He added that allowing private hire drivers access would reduce fares for customers as well.

The decision to allow those drivers access was agreed unanimously at the traffic management sub-committee on Wednesday, March 6.

New signage to enforce the change will require costs up to £15,000.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 3:11 pm 

Quote:
Kamran Saddiq, chairman of the RPHA said: “Our passengers, members of the public, their safety is our utmost, we are trained professional drivers and are always a high priority into consideration when we are travelling on the King’s Road.”

Well if the terminology is a bit more accurate and consistent than usual, on the other hand we have the likes of this jumble of words and illogicality - not sure if bus lane access for PHVs is really about safety. But 'word salad' would be putting it nicely :lol:

Quote:
He added: “We work for Reading, we represent Reading, I represent Reading, I am proud to be a Reading private hire driver.

“When we started our association, we could have called it something else, but we called it the RPHA because we are proud Reading drivers.”

I wonder where he works? :-s

Quote:
Addressing concerns about taxis slowing down buses, Mr Saddiq suggested that ‘authorised vehicles only’ signage should be put up to deter rule breakers.

:?

Quote:
Of those 818 (96 per cent) supported the change, 33 objected with three responses neither supporting nor rejecting it.

I wonder if the figures about allowing PHDs into bus lanes might have been skewed by any particular interest group :-k

PostPosted: Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:08 pm 

Quote:
That is set to change after years of campaigning by drivers in the town.

Well done. =D>

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:43 pm 

Can never understand why the local press chunters on endlessly about what appears to be fairly low level stuff, even by trade standards.

This is a case in point - no doubt it's important to local PHDs, but it's all just about one small stretch of bus lane.

Next they'll be reporting on me being late for my council test the other day... :lol:

But this is worth reading not particularly for the content (most of which is rehash anyway, such as the stuff about 'cab hackney carriage drivers' :lol:) but just because...well, if anyone reads it, they'll very probably get what I mean :?

And let's play 'spot the LOs' in the second photo :-o

(Hint - the two LOs are the ones wearing the council-issued gear :wink:

And I've also added the photo caption now anyway, which actually states which two are the LOs...)

(Edit: on second thoughts, it's maybe a bit more interesting than I originally thought...)

Reading taxi driver's humongous thanks for bus lane change

https://www.readingchronicle.co.uk/news ... ne-change/

A Reading taxi driver has expressed his humongous gratitude as he and his fellow drivers have been granted access to a bus lane on a busy road in the town.

Kamran Saddiq, chair of the Reading Private Hire Association, Mian Saleem, chairman of the Reading Pakistan Community Centre, and councillors Rachel Eden and Wendy Griffith at the Reading Pakistani Community Centre Christmas Party. (Image: James Aldr/Reading Chronicle)

Taxi drivers in Reading are divided between cab hackney carriage drivers, which passengers can use on the spot, and private hire drivers, who have to be booked in advance.

Cab drivers have been allowed to use both the inbound and outbound bus lanes in Kings Road for years, but private hire drivers have only been allowed to use the inbound lane.

But now private hire drivers will get access to the outbound bus lane following a decision by Reading Borough Council’s traffic management sub-committee on Wednesday, March 6.

Celebrating the decision, Kamran Saddiq, the chairman of the Reading Private Hire Association said: “It’s fantastic, I’m really happy with the outcome considering the long struggle it’s been.

“Bus lane access will be useful for our customers, special needs children who need to get to school, people trying to get to the airport for their holidays and more.

“We also serve people with health issues getting to the Royal Berkshire Hospital, and those with mental health issues as well.

“It’s a massive relief for everyone, including myself, as the campaign has been going on for 16 months.

“One of the councillors said that it’s been going on for a significant amount of time, and they don’t want to come back with the situation not being resolved later on.”

The decision means the outbound bus lane will be accessible for Reading cab and private hire drivers only.

A new sign will be installed to legally enforce the rule change, with estimated costs of up to £15,000.

Mr Saddiq explained: “It needs to have funds released from somewhere. The council staff will go back and talk amongst themselves about the funding.

“Luckily it’s not how it’s when.

“The councillors want it done as soon as possible.”

Mr Saddiq has raised the issue of drivers choosing to be licenced with other councils such as South Oxfordshire and the New Forest, which he argues is ‘taking away trade’ from drivers licenced with Reading council.

He hopes more drivers will register with Reading council to get access to the bus lane.

Mr Saddiq said: “Drivers who have gone out of borough to get registered may now realise what they are missing!

“Drivers licenced with other boroughs are taking our trade away, these people come in and don’t pay a single penny to Reading Borough.

“Some of those drivers will come back to Reading to get their licenses, which will generate licensing income for the council, so the sign will pay for itself.

“This is a massive victory.

“We want to work with the council and Thames Valley Police on road safety, moving forward we’ll be working closely with the council and make sure our customers are happy as well.

“Humongous thanks to the councillors who voted unanimously.

“We appreciate the support from the bottom of our hearts!”

Members of the Reading Private Hire Association and council officers. L to R: Pervaz Akhtar, Manzoor Hussain, licensing officer Clyde Mason, chairman Kamran Saddiq, Sikandar Hayat, Aqeel Kayani, licensing officer Anthony Chawama and Salman Kayani. (Image: Reading Chronicle)

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:46 pm 

Quote:
A new sign will be installed to legally enforce the rule change, with estimated costs of up to £15,000.

Not just one new sign costing £15k, surely? Hopefully :roll:

Quote:
Mr Saddiq said: “Drivers who have gone out of borough to get registered may now realise what they are missing!

“Drivers licenced with other boroughs are taking our trade away, these people come in and don’t pay a single penny to Reading Borough.

“Some of those drivers will come back to Reading to get their licenses, which will generate licensing income for the council, so the sign will pay for itself.

That's maybe a good example of the, er, cross-border paradox - he's talking about drivers badging elsewhere 'taking our trade away', as if they're actually from elsewhere, rather than just local drivers going to another council for badging purposes. Yet he's hoping the bus lane change will mean they'll get badged locally, so what's the difference in terms of local trade? :?

And I somehow suspect the bus lane access issue won't be the game-changer he thinks it will be anyway, but who knows how important access is, and how much more onerous it would be getting badged and plated by Reading Council simply to gain access to the lane.

Still, I suppose stuff like that was good for actually gaining acess in terms of politicking and rhetoric, if not real world consequences in terms of actually encouraging drivers to get badged and plated locally...

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:50 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
I wonder if in 6 months time we'll get bus drivers threatening strike action unless this is rescinded ?

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !