Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 22, 2024 2:39 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:36 pm 

Not much to see here, and although there's a definite downward trend, the numbers are quite small, so in statistical terms it's maybe difficult to come to definite conclusions.

Thought it was maybe lockdown related, but ironically complaints were almost at peak when economic activity still quite low in 2021, and dropped since then, so likely that there are other factors in play... :?

Isle of Wight taxi driver complaints fall to 5 year low

https://www.countypress.co.uk/news/2418 ... -year-low/

The number of complaints made against taxi drivers on the Isle of Wight reached a five-year low in 2023.

Since 2018, 77 complaints were filed with the Isle of Wight Council against taxi drivers for a range of reasons — including smoking behind the wheel, overcharging or aggressive, abusive or threatening behaviour.

However, grievances against drivers have fallen in the past three years, with 16 lodged in 2021, 10 in 2022 and then six in 2023.

The number of complaints peaked in 2019 with 20 throughout the year and was more than double that in 2018 (nine).

The most reported issue was the driver's conduct - attributing to just under a third of all complaints in the last five years, at 24.

The second highest was against the driver's aggressive, abusive or threatening behaviour (16) followed by nine complaints about unlicensed drivers.

Five complaints had been made about dangerous driving and six about being overcharged.

Two had been made over smoking and six over public safety fears.

In 2020, one complaint was made about not adhering to Covid-19 rules.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 5:36 pm 

...some of the comments on the website, though, or maybe it's just me.

But this first one looks genuine enough (if a tad schmaltzy), and I'm not even sure if the author is male or female. But check out the replies... :?

Someone wrote:
As someone who no longer drives, I've found the taxi drivers on the Island to be helpful and chatty when I felt like talking, or quiet when not. (A particular shout out to the lady from Apha Cars who helped me with my baggage, called in to extend the journey to the Ryde ferry after I'd dropped the keys in, knew to take a diversion to avoid the road works and half-hour delay at Wooton Bridge, and was interesting to talk with too. If she's reading this: hope you had/have a lovely birthday!)

In response, someone wrote:
Creep

In response, someone else wrote:
Definitely creepy. Would you have been this creepy if it was a male driver? Women taxi drivers are not safe around pervs like you.

Of course, the cynic in me maybe thought that the original post was from someone associated with Alpha Cars. But I didn't think of it in the cynical terms the two replies above did :roll:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 15, 2024 8:43 pm 

It's a lovely place the IoW, and I suspect many of the cabbies are drivers who have moved there to retire.

It's also got the strangest train service you will see.

And an outstanding air ambulance service. :wink: