Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed May 01, 2024 1:36 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 11:58 am 

Good tabloid scoop here from the Mirror, but with a trade licensing angle :-o

And while I initially thought that they actually got the terminology right (Uber- private hire badge - minicab driver), then noticed the term 'taxi app' :?

Suspected gangster accused of extorting money from man with gun held to head worked as Uber driver

https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/s ... y-32372126

Speaking near his BMW 5 Series, which had a Transport for London private hire badge, the father of five – who changed his name to Alex Stone in July 2016 – confirmed he worked as a minicab driver

A suspected Turkish gangster has been working in Britain as an Uber driver.

Suleyman Parin is accused of extorting money from a man who had a gun held to his head. He faces extradition to his homeland, where he could get up to 25 years if found guilty.

Parin, who was arrested by Britain’s FBI and has to wear an electronic tag, has been able to register with the taxi app – which has now removed him. We quizzed Parin at his home in Tottenham, North London – where the 55-year-old, who wears a court-ordered electronic tag, is on a curfew.

Speaking near his BMW 5 Series, which had a Transport for London private hire badge, the father of five – who changed his name to Alex Stone in July 2016 – confirmed he worked as a minicab driver. TfL states they “must be of good character” and have an enhanced criminal check.

Asked whether he was of “good character”, Parin replied: “Of course. My friend, this case 2008, not this country matter.” Questioned on whether TfL is aware of the crimes he is accused of in Turkey, he said: “TfL doesn’t matter.”

Asked why he does not go to Turkey to stand trial, Parin mentioned the country’s hardman ruler, President Recep Tayyip Erdogan, saying: “I don’t trust… Turkey government because government, you know, Erdogan dictator.”

Turkish prosecutors want Parin extradited for his alleged role in a dispute in 2008 between two men who hired criminal gangs during a feud. Documents say Parin’s home was used to “imprison” Huseyin Yalcin while crooks tried to extort money from him. Parin allegedly forced Yalcin to give him his BMW and “give away 39-40 acres of land and a detached house”.

The papers add: “During the course of this, it is alleged that a gun was held to the head of Huseyin Yalcin.”

Parin is also accused of demanding money from Yalcin’s father to “save” his son. National Crime Agency officers arrested Parin in 2022 after Turkey requested extradition. He is appealing and denies wrongdoing. Parin is said to have lived in Britain since 1986 and held a British passport for 29 years.

Uber said: “We are investigating these allegations, are in touch with TfL and have removed this driver’s access to our platform. All drivers are licensed by a local authority, who carry out checks.”

TfL said: “We are urgently investigating these reports with law enforcement agencies.”

The Home Office said: “We do not routinely comment on individual cases.”

Photos here:

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/a ... 8Taxi2.jpg

https://i2-prod.mirror.co.uk/incoming/a ... 8Taxi9.jpg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:00 pm 

Quote:
Questioned on whether TfL is aware of the crimes he is accused of in Turkey, he said: “TfL doesn’t matter.”

That'll help his case :lol:

Somehow doubt his statement is legally watertight :D

Quote:
TfL said: “We are urgently investigating these reports with law enforcement agencies.”

Wonder what's happened here?

Maybe it's because it's 'Britain's FBI' who are on the case here they don't bother with piffling details like liaising with TfL :?

And, for a change, looks like Uber ahead of the game here as compared to TfL...

Of course, just because a country like Turkey has requested extradition of a suspect over a crime alleged to have been committed in 2008 doesn't automatically mean that he shouldn't have a badge.

But it reads like TfL not even aware of the allegations :-o

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 12:06 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
ah yes the certificate of good conduct every gangsters get out of jail free card :lol:

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 5:35 pm 

I will be very surprised if his license isn't suspended.

At a guess, he didn't tell TfL about any outstanding issues in Turkey, and that will give them grounds to suspend.

And I suspect never re-licene.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:11 pm 

But shouldn't the National Crime Agency have informed TfL about what was going on?

The brief statement from TfL suggests they didn't.

Alternatively, maybe TfL did know, but their statement is a deflection/damage limitation exercise :?

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 7:41 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
But shouldn't the National Crime Agency have informed TfL about what was going on?

Alternatively, maybe TfL did know, but their statement is a deflection/damage limitation exercise :?

they probably didn't know until the extradition request was received

Join the campaign to get April fools jokes banned for 364 days a year !

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 8:52 pm 

StuartW wrote:

I suppose it depends on how long the fella has been in the UK.

If it's more than a certain number of years a check is deemed to not be required.

And even if it was within the number of years what weight should be carried on an everything ok assessment from a government that still has the death penalty? :-k

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:07 pm 

But shouldn't the police or other law enforcement authorities like the NCA inform the licensing authority in cases of serious allegations like this?

I get what you're saying about the fact that he might not be revoked or suspended because of allegations made by the authorities in Turkey (as I alluded earlier), but I would have assumed that in cases like this the NCA would be duty bound to inform TfL, who would then decide on whether to suspend his badge, or whatever.

But reading what TfL says literally, it seems like they were totally unaware of the allegations and the extradition request until Uber and/or the Mirror contacted them. And, with regard to Edders' point, the extradition request was made in 2022, but has been held up by his appeal :?

Quote:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:11 pm 

Quote:
But shouldn't the police or other law enforcement authorities like the NCA inform the licensing authority in cases of serious allegations like this?

Yes, if they knew he was a licensed driver, but they might just process the application without actually going into his employment situation. Or they didn't give it a thought.

I suspect the NCA is more interested in far far far bigger fish.