Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 10:03 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 pm 

Not really much about the taxi angle here, and it's mostly what might be called the human interest side :-|

Which from our perspective is a tad perplexing because it's not clear from the limited information what the deceased's interest was as regards the perp parking on the rank was. Certainly doesn't say he was a taxi driver :?

(And in fact it also reads like the perp wasn't even an occupant of the illegally parked car, although maybe he was and was just outside it at the time.)

Blackpool man jailed for manslaughter

https://www.lancashire.police.uk/news/2 ... slaughter/

Tuesday, May 21, 2024

The father of a man who died after he was assaulted in Blackpool has spoken of his heartbreak after his son’s killer was jailed.

Anthony Harley, 53, died in hospital a month after he was punched by Harry Fowle on Church Street in the resort on February 19th.

Image: Lancashire Police

At about 8.30pm Mr Harley approached a car parked in a taxi bay and told the occupants they could not park there.

He was then approached by Harry Fowle who confronted him and punched him once making him fall and bang the back of his head causing the trauma which would take his life on March 17.

Fowle, 34, of Brook Street, Blackpool, was originally arrested on suspicion of Section 18 wounding and was charged with manslaughter following Anthony Harley’s death.

He pleaded guilty to manslaughter in February and was sentenced at Preston Crown Court today (Tuesday, May 21).

He was jailed for 1 year and 10 months.

In a victim personal statement Anthony Harley’s father Paul said: “The year 2023 has been a difficult one for me and all of my family. My wife Anne, who I was married to for 57 years, was diagnosed with cancer in December 2022 and she shockingly died soon after on 17th January 2023. We were all grieving and absolutely heartbroken as a family.

“Then my son’s life was taken away in the most soul-destroying way leaving me without my son and his sisters without their younger brother.

“I remember a phone call telling me Anthony had been involved in an incident and was in intensive care. I fell to pieces and was devastated at hearing this. It felt like a bomb was being dropped on our lives.

“We were asked as a family to attend the hospital some three and a half weeks after the assault on Anthony. We were told the doctors had done everything they could, and Anthony’s brain had died.

“Having to turn the machines off and take out the tubes that were keeping Anthony alive was absolutely heartbreaking. This is more or less saying goodbye at that point, and it absolutely ripped our hearts out. It didn’t feel real, and it is something which we will never get over. As a parent I never considered the thought of my son dying before me.”

Det Insp Simon Pritchard, of the Force Major Investigation Team, said: “This case once again shows the devastating consequences which can result from a single punch and my thoughts today are with Mr Harley’s family who have lost a much-loved son and brother.”

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2024 8:15 pm 

Lancashire Police wrote:
Fowle, 34, of Brook Street, Blackpool, was originally arrested on suspicion of Section 18 wounding and was charged with manslaughter following Anthony Harley’s death.

34? Seriously? :-o