Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:43 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:23 am 

This is typical of one of the reasons why I wondered if the other case about the £18k car might have been misreported - the first line says the applicant's 'bid to become a PH driver has been rejected because of the over-provision rules' - not quite correct - it's not about become a badgeholder rather than a plateholder.

(For example, the temporary licence the chap with the £18k car had might have been a badge rather than plate, and the car possibly never plated. That's probably incorrect as well, but certainly seen similarly misleading stuff many times over the years.)

But it's that kind of nuance that's often brushed over in reporting on licensing stuff like this (or 'touting for business', or similar).

Injured care home worker refused Glasgow private hire licence

https://www.glasgowtimes.co.uk/news/sco ... e-licence/

A former NHS care home worker’s bid to become a private hire car driver has been rejected by the city council because of over-provision rules.

Dawit Tsigab, 54, appeared before the licensing committee this morning to ask for a private hire car licence to be granted to him for a period of three years.

Mr Tsigab advised the committee that he had previously been employed in a care home but because of an injury he sustained in his left shoulder he was no longer fit to work there.

He explained: “I was working in a care home for 20 years with the NHS but then I hurt my shoulder.

“About three or four months ago I went to the GP and I was given an injection but I am still in pain.

“I am a hard worker but I cannot work at the care home for more than two days a week as I cannot lift heavy objects with my left arm – that is why I applied for this licence.

“I need to be able to provide for my family and if you give me this “plate” I can work when I am well. I need to be able to work. If I am not working I am just resting at home.

“I was working 12-hour shifts at the care home so I am used to long hours.”

Following the submission, chairperson and councillor Sean Ferguson said he was sympathetic to Mr Tsigab’s situation.

He said: “I am sorry to hear about your health and to hear of the injuries you have sustained at work. I do sympathise with you.”

Following a short recess, it was decided by the committee to refuse the application on the grounds that there is an over-provision of private hire car services operating in Glasgow.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2024 1:24 am 

Well presumably he's passed the medical for a driver, but the injury aspect looks a bit odd :?

Quote:
“I need to be able to provide for my family and if you give me this “plate” I can work when I am well. I need to be able to work. If I am not working I am just resting at home."

Presumably he could rent a car and do likewise, but certainly get his point about driving his own vehicle.

But again the bit about working when he 'is well' looks a bit odd :?