Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sun Jun 16, 2024 9:33 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:15 am 

This is from the Exeter Police Facebook page, and has been reported by BBC News. Nothing really new in the BBC report, so this is the actual police post. Not really that interesting, but one or two questionable points :?

With the weekend coming up we thought we would post some helpful reminders to take in to consideration if you're going to be using a taxi. Unfortunately we're aware of people posing as taxi drivers and using fake props to make their vehicle appear like a legitimate taxi.

- Exeter City Council Hackney Carriages and Private Hire are all licenced and will display this on an internal and external plate. This will show the vehicle registration number, an expiry date and a code. The drivers will also carry in date photo ID.

- All registered and legitimate taxis will be 5 door vehicles. If you have to fold over the passenger seat to get in to the vehicle, stop, leave the vehicle and book yourself a genuine taxi.

- Top tip - always take a photo of the vehicle including the vehicle registration number and send it to a friend or family member prior to setting off. A real taxi driver won't mind you doing this.

If you have any concerns please leave the taxi immediately. Call 999 if you need to report a crime or suspicious activity.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:16 am 

Exeter Police wrote:
All registered and legitimate taxis will be 5 door vehicles. If you have to fold over the passenger seat to get in to the vehicle, stop, leave the vehicle and book yourself a genuine taxi.

I thought a 5-door car was a hatchback. Or maybe also an estate. But not a saloon. So I'd guess that not all the cars will be 5-door. It's a strange way of putting it, though - maybe better to say that two-door cars aren't eligible to be 'taxis', since the above is obviously alluding to cars with only two-doors.

Exeter Police wrote:
Top tip - always take a photo of the vehicle including the vehicle registration number and send it to a friend or family member prior to setting off. A real taxi driver won't mind you doing this.

Oh, really? :roll:

Only happened to me a couple of times, and as I recall it it's been students trying to offload one of their incapably drunk female friends, and they look at you as if you're John Worboys :-o

Er, no thanks =;

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:19 pm 

Quote:
- Top tip - always take a photo of the vehicle including the vehicle registration number and send it to a friend or family member prior to setting off. A real taxi driver won't mind you doing this.

If you are that concerned, don't get in.

If you saw a dodgy pub, would you take a photo or just not go in? If you saw a dodgy restaurant, would you take a photo or just not go in?

Common sense is all you need, not a camera.

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 8:35 pm 

To be fair, Sussex, even the legit drivers can turn out to be dodgy, so I can see where people are coming from.

And the Sunderland driver reported today is a case in point.

Although obviously he was plying for hire illegally.

Just as long as it's not me that they're taking photos of [-( 8-[

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2024 10:25 pm 

Location: Stamford Britains prettiest town till SKDC ruined it
StuartW wrote:
To be fair, Sussex, even the legit drivers can turn out to be dodgy, so I can see where people are coming from.

And the Sunderland driver reported today is a case in point.

Although obviously he was plying for hire illegally.

Just as long as it's not me that they're taking photos of [-( 8-[

I never have to worry about that if they photograph me their camera breaks :lol: