Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon May 20, 2024 11:21 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:43 pm 

Yes Wharfy, and Sir Christopher Bellamy QC no doubt goes touting in the West End of London on Saturday night :wink:

I think Wirral was a test case to try out the 'deprivation of property' provisions in the human rights convention, after all they'd exhausted every other avenue.

Who knows what Mr Royden was told by his union and the lawyers, but there have certainly been bullish articles in Taxi Talk etc about what they had been told by lawyers, and then other articles later saying that they felt let down by the lawyers.

No doubt the lawyers will never tell them that they WILL win the case, but how the union or whoever interprets what they say, we don't know.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:48 pm 

[quote="Wharfie
That argument Dusty, is bloody difficult to follow, surely you cannot have partial de-limitation.

Wharfie[/quote]

The number of saloons has never been de-limited Wharfy, you can have a plate but it has to be a WAV one, that's why the saloon plates still have a value, because of lower running costs.

Call it what you want, but it's certainly not a full de-limitation in the sense that Andy meant it.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:52 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:
What he is to stupid to realise is that these 19 have been issued a plate without paying a premium, the plates have been issued under exactly the same terms and conditions as all the other plates so there is nothing stopping those 19 selling those plates for £30k each, the net result more exploitation.

Well at least you admit that selling the plate would be exploitation, try telling that to the T&G, they fought a court case over this!!!

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 4:54 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:
The case law involving un-met demand survey's is to cloudy for words, as no local authority is, as far as I understand, obligated to undertake un-met demand survey's at all, never mind regularly.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Well the case law may not be that clear, but I think the need for regular independent surveys is, if your LA hasn't done them and it's challenged then they're in the poo.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:00 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:

Plate numbers should be restricted but the local authorities should insist that the licenses should only be transferred between vehicles owned and operated by the licencee. When the licensee no longer requires the use of the plate that plate should be returned to the council for re-allocation and no licensee should be issued with more than one plate.

However, some local authorities allow the transfer of plates knowing that the plates are being exchanged for profit and so must allow current holders who have, with the knowledge of the local authority paid a premium, either proper compensation or the oppertunity the chance to sell on the plates at a reduced rate to a person who is fully aware that the plate is no longer transferable to another licensee.

So the plateholder can still sit on his backside and have up to half a dozen drivers in his car. They might well have a stranglehold over the trade for 50 years or so without driving. I've certainly known people that have gotten a free plate but have nothing to do with the trade, except for the money they make from it.

And is the number of plates set in stone or what??

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:08 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:
Market forces demands are much more than availability, the vehicles must be safe the drivers must be safe. In order to achieve this the licensee must return a profit, people having to wait at peak times is a consequence of that.
In Gateshead we have the area where the nightclubs finish cleared by 3am, taking into account some people stopping off for the customary Kebab I would say the longest wait would be around 35mins. In comparison the P/H firm I used to work for ran up to 45mins late on pre-booked work over last weekend so an un-met demand survey would conclude that more vehicles are required to work through P/H offices doing pre-booked work. How would this be achieved following delimitation in areas where drivers like Suspect Man would add to the pre-booking delay whilst he shortened still the waiting time for the hailed or rank work.

So are you saying that London drivers and vehicles are less safe because the don't have plate limits Mick. I doubt it - I wonder why that is.

I fail to see how giving all PH ply for hire rights would increase the average waiting times overall. For example, many people phone for a PH because hacks are unavailable, so if they were available then they wouldn't bother.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 5:12 pm 

Mick Pollard wrote:

I don't expect a response from this thread, as I have been told countless times some people just don't want to listen to reasoned approach or the truth as it rarely is the easier less complicated option.

What do you mean you don't expect a response Mick??

You've had plenty of responses, and you still haven't substantiated your allegations of un-truths (ie lies) in the article.

We're waiting.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:10 pm 
Dusty Bin wrote:
I fail to see how giving all PH ply for hire rights would increase the average waiting times overall. For example, many people phone for a PH because hacks are unavailable, so if they were available then they wouldn't bother.

Dusty

Sorry Dusty mate I think your wrong.

People walk into P/H offices because there is a queue at the rank, they may well phone a P/H operator but are you seriously telling me that between 7 and 9 pm and 11pm and 3am on a Saturday night P/H offices aren't fully booked.

Answer me this question please,

Its Saturday night and you get a job from your office to pick up Quentin Farquar from outside the Ballet Shoe and Rugby Ball on the High Street at 23:15, Quentin is a regular to and from work every day and twice a month to the hairdressers but on a Saturday Night he only goes around the corner cause he's scared of the dark. Its been busy and your last fare go's a bit further than you thought so when you pull onto the High Street your 5 minutes late for Quentin, the rank outside Stavros's kebab house
is absolutely heaving, you pull up outside the Ballet Shoe and Rugby Ball and someone approaches you and offers you £20 up front to do a £10 fare.

WHAT DO YOU DO ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:26 pm 

You pick up Quentin. He's your bread and butter.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:38 pm 

Well a sensible taxi office would not give the PH or HC vehicle the customer's destination. Thus the driver will pick up your regular because he know no different.

Also if the regular is only going around the corner, so what? If it's mobbed out, all the quicker he will be back to pick up someone else.

Back to the sensible office, if the operator remembers you did them a favour, they might well return you one back.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:45 pm 

As the 26 years wait has been doubted, I asked a colleague in B&H for further details. :shock:

He said that of the 19 new plates being issued,
one lad has been waiting 26 years
one lad 22 years
one lad 21 years
one lad 20 years
one lad 19 years
one lad 18 years
four lads 17 years
five lads 16 years
six lads 15 years.

Now the smart amongst us will see that adds up to 20, thus one of the lads who has waited 15 years will miss out. :(

I'm not sure what's worse, the lad waiting 26 years for an offer, or the lads waiting 15 years with nothing. :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 12:37 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Yes Wharfy, and Sir Christopher Bellamy QC no doubt goes touting in the West End of London on Saturday night :wink:

I think Wirral was a test case to try out the 'deprivation of property' provisions in the human rights convention, after all they'd exhausted every other avenue.

Who knows what Mr Royden was told by his union and the lawyers, but there have certainly been bullish articles in Taxi Talk etc about what they had been told by lawyers, and then other articles later saying that they felt let down by the lawyers.

No doubt the lawyers will never tell them that they WILL win the case, but how the union or whoever interprets what they say, we don't know.

Dusty

It is a fact as its quoted in the judgement that the report to committee said that there was an item about human rights, to launch a test case from a taxicab was indeed brave or stupid!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 2:35 am 

Mick

I agree that if both sectors are busy then it wouldn't make a lot of difference, but a one-tier trade would have other benefits, for example:

- would enable hailing and plying throughout the town in question, without a tiny proportion of HCs pleasing themselves where they work.

- would mean a level playing field for drivers.

- would stop the kind of bickering evident on this site and more generally.

- would eradicate public confusion.

If all PH in Gateshead become HCs, you'd probably find that most of them end up doing mostly pre-booked work and only a small amount of them would actually do only street work.

Dusty

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:11 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
As the 26 years wait has been doubted, I asked a colleague in B&H for further details. :shock:

He said that of the 19 new plates being issued,
one lad has been waiting 26 years
one lad 22 years
one lad 21 years
one lad 20 years
one lad 19 years
one lad 18 years
four lads 17 years
five lads 16 years
six lads 15 years.

Now the smart amongst us will see that adds up to 20, thus one of the lads who has waited 15 years will miss out. :(

I'm not sure what's worse, the lad waiting 26 years for an offer, or the lads waiting 15 years with nothing. :(

but the lad who has waited 26 years had nothing after 15!
in all this planned expansion would just one more plate make that much difference?

cos the lad that loses out could appeal, then the whole lot may be thrown to the wolves!

Wharfie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2003 3:17 am 
Dusty Bin wrote:
Mick

I agree that if both sectors are busy then it wouldn't make a lot of difference, but a one-tier trade would have other benefits, for example:

- would enable hailing and plying throughout the town in question, without a tiny proportion of HCs pleasing themselves where they work.

- would mean a level playing field for drivers.

- would stop the kind of bickering evident on this site and more generally.

- would eradicate public confusion.

If all PH in Gateshead become HCs, you'd probably find that most of them end up doing mostly pre-booked work and only a small amount of them would actually do only street work.

Dusty

If we all went Hackney and all played the same rules if someone said 5 years later "lets go back to the two tier system" all hell would break loose ond Mick would lead the protest!

however it aint gonna happen, 5 years from now most of our industry could be wiped out with newr forms of cheaper and more accesible transport, life is moving on, this trade isnt.

Wharfie

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next