Taxi Driver Online
http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/

Labour will not increase taxes
http://taxi-driver.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=22&t=42886
Page 1 of 1

Author:  wannabeeahack [ Thu Sep 10, 2026 4:38 pm ]
Post subject:  Labour will not increase taxes

Mayors in England will be given the power to impose a new fee on visitors' overnight stays, in a move the government says will mean more money can be invested into local areas.

Under the plans, local leaders will be able to bring in an uncapped levy, dubbed a "tourist tax", as a percentage of the cost of hotels, bed and breakfasts and other types of accommodation rather than a flat fee.

Hospitality leaders have warned it will put jobs at risk and hit families in the pocket.

But the government said it would protect budget holidays "by making sure low-cost accommodation always pays lowest levy" and said the extra cash could be invested in high streets and local transport.

Author:  Sussex [ Fri Sep 11, 2026 12:07 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Labour will not increase taxes

I'm not a fan of Labour, nor a fan of tax, but I'm actually a fan of this tourist tax.

It's quite common in Europe, and still millions of folks go there on holiday.

The only problem I have with it is that politicians are f***ing useless at spending our money, so I have my doubts that this new tax will have any effect.

Author:  Chris the Fish [ Fri Sep 11, 2026 9:32 pm ]
Post subject:  Re: Labour will not increase taxes

I'm not against a Tourist Tax, but most places I have been that require it, charge a fixed place per night. I think in Rome it was 2 Euros. If you stayed over 7 nights it was free night 8 onwards.

I heard Labour Mayors saying they would cap it at 5% and nothing has been said about a time after which it's free.

It won't go where it's meant. It will subsidise whatever is underfunded.

Author:  edders23 [ Sat Sep 12, 2026 8:13 am ]
Post subject:  Re: Labour will not increase taxes

5% on hotel rooms costing £100 a night plus will make it the most expensive in Europe.

That will not help the tourist trade or jobs especially if it gets spent on vanity projects

Page 1 of 1 All times are UTC [ DST ]
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group
http://www.phpbb.com/