Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jun 26, 2024 12:06 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Who's Waterloo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:55 am 

We've won said the T&G lol that was when the Government gave their response to the OFT report. That was when 149 councils throughout England and Wales restricted numbers. Other people who had a brain in their head looked at the Government response more closely. What we saw was a different recipe to the one the T&G subscribed to.

When most people were being euphoric at the T&G victory, the silent minority was advocating caution.

Now less than one year on, the chickens are really coming home to roost with a vengeance. Those 149 restricted authorities are now down to 115. That’s a reduction of 34 councils and by the end of this evening I predict that number will be even lower.

We know that the likes of the NTA, the T&G, NTTG and this outfit in Liverpool who produce an online magazine called Taxitalk will probably say that 45% of councils in England and Wales are still restricted but that’s par for the course, we expect nothing else. The simple fact is that we on TDO know different don’t we? What's more, so does the DfT and OFT.

So where did all these organisations go wrong? They submitted a multitude of documents to the DFT in respect of limiting numbers yet surprisingly only one substantial document was offered in evidence against them. That document as we all know was submitted by TDO. I haven't had time to join in the debate which Captain Cab instigated, in respect of M&R, if I had, I would have defended that document most vehemently.

The fact remains that most councils up and down the country are sticking two fingers up at the T&G and every other vested interest and saying we will do things our way, not your way. These councils are to be applauded because they are showing the vested interests such as Mr. Cummings in Cardiff who owns or manages over 12% of Taxi licenses, that councillors will no longer be dictated to by individuals who have an overriding vested interest in restricting council policy indefinitely.

The T&G may think they have won a victory, but the likes of me think they have met their waterloo.

Regards

JD

Post subject: Re: Who's Waterloo
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 8:15 am 

JD wrote:
The T&G may think they have won a victory, but the likes of me think they have met their waterloo.

But didn't the T&G 'KO OFT'. :lol:

I'm been amazed who many councils have de-limited since OFT, and there are many many more to come. :D

And as of Wednesday March 9th, not one single justifcation has been given for keeping quotas, and no specific cases has been made showing that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria?

Please somone from any council tell me !!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 2:42 pm 
Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

I'm been amazed who many councils have de-limited since OFT, and there are many many more to come. :D

And as of Wednesday March 9th, not one single justifcation has been given for keeping quotas, and no specific cases has been made showing that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria?

Hey Suspect you really are a [edited by admin] aren't you??? What about all them Councils who are going to leave numbers as thay are like Nottingham :D :D :D :D :D Like Newcastle :D :D :D :D Like Durham :D :D like Liverpool :D :D :D :D :D like Brighton :D :D :D oh that one hurt didn't it???? :D :D :D :D If you take a look at the Councils that have deregulated most of them are towns and not cities. :D :D :D

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 4:32 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Hey Suspect you really are a [edited by admin] aren't you??? What about all them Councils who are going to leave numbers as thay are like Nottingham :D :D :D :D :D Like Newcastle :D :D :D :D Like Durham :D :D like Liverpool :D :D :D :D :D like Brighton :D :D :D oh that one hurt didn't it???? :D :D :D :D If you take a look at the Councils that have deregulated most of them are towns and not cities. :D :D :D

Yes that did hurt, I haven't been able to concentrate in court since. :shock:

But if at the end of this there are only 50 or so that still restrict, then that will do for starters. Remember this time last year there was 149.

Unlike you, and the Angel, I'm in this for the long run. Funny thing is I don't think it will be that long at all.

Watch this space Nigel. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:20 pm 
And wait for the limits to be placed back on again. Oh I forgot Lincoln, Leeds, Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:54 pm 

Nidge wrote:
And wait for the limits to be placed back on again. Oh I forgot Lincoln, Leeds, Leicester, Coventry, Birmingham, Bristol, Southampton, :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I can assure you that no council will re-restrict. :wink:

But your list is quite interesting. Lincoln have kept quotas, and I believe Jimbo is still dancing. Leeds have also decided to keep quotas, but issued 140 odd plates last year. :shock:

Leicester still have quotas, but Coventry and Birmingham de-limited long ago. Bristol still have quotas, but Southampton haven't decided, but I've got my eye on them. :wink:

So all in all your half right, which for you is pretty good going.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 6:57 pm 
I think you'll find Coventry aren't.

Sussex wrote:
I can assure you that no council will re-restrict.

Is that so :-k :-k Get the right people on your side and anything can happen. 8) 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:02 pm 

Nidge wrote:
I think you'll find Coventry aren't.

If its not on JD's or the Gov's list, then they don't restrict. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2005 7:52 pm 

1973 Eurovision Winner I think its funny to do a song about a railway station.

My my, at Waterloo Napoleon did surrender
Oh yeah, and I have met my destiny in quite a similar way
The history book on the shelf
Is always repeating itself

Waterloo - I was defeated, you won the war
Waterloo - Promise to love you for ever more
Waterloo - Couldn't escape if I wanted to
Waterloo - Knowing my fate is to be with you
Waterloo - Finally facing my

My my, I tried to hold you back but you were stronger
Oh yeah, and now it seems my only hope is giving up the fight
And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

And how could I ever refuse
I feel like I win when I lose

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 2:30 pm 

Sussex wrote:
JD wrote:

City of Lincoln as I keep telling you Sussex, Surveyed, (NO SUD) Justified.

So stop with the not a single council, stuff!!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:39 pm 

jimbo wrote:
City of Lincoln as I keep telling you Sussex, Surveyed, (NO SUD) Justified.

So stop with the not a single council, stuff!!

So I will ask you the same question that I asked the lad from Tyneside.

Do you know what justification they have given for keeping quotas, and what specific case have they made that it is not in the interest of consumers for market entry to be refused for those that meet the application criteria?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2005 6:59 pm 

YES I DO!!!!