Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:19 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 8:02 pm 

hehe

I aint going on no plane

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:15 pm 
captain cab. got a spare 12 bore,How about a safari. T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 9:32 pm 
MR T wrote:
SUSSEX. For 30 years i have been in trade and seen the likes of you come and go,year in year out ,

always left to pick up the pieces when you go. P.S.

every M.P i have ever spoken to says the same thing, that deregulation does not work in transport ,

Its interesting thought though isnt it? big council undertakings handed to the private sector, who said more efficient and better now becoming private monopolies.

the rail is heavily protected into franchises and of course not always can extra pasenger trains be put on to meat need.

Airways is interesting also lots of competition there, seems to work.

so lets come to taxis, and of course it does not work this competition lark
we cannot earn a crust sitting in long rank ques do we? but wait a minute that is not a taxi mans job, they are supposed to go out and meet demand anywhere in the bourogh, but the lazy sods dont want to do that.

I can tell you about Halifax where there is a massive, and I mean massive private hire provision, not many taxis though 37, and when you leave bingo, or the supermarket, even council offices suprisingly, there is always a private hire parked up, they are off duty of course but these lads will help you to get to where you wanna go.

most I have said b4, public hire taxi jobs in Halifax are done by private hire, I would say 4 to 1, cos there are always these off duty lads to help you out.

nowadays nobody walks up to the rank, ring or get an off duty private hire

there is a longway for me to go b4 I will aggree that competition is not good for the trade, but hey I am a member of Tand G, so Mick will allow me to say when all competition has beeb swept away by me, I will aggree competition is no good in public transport.

until Mick T, you see the light and think stategicaly you will see that public transports biggest competition is the family car, and if relevant services are not delivered quick, our roads will be jammed solid.

sorry you are wrong, your mps are wrong, competition in public transport from the car, and that attitude of yours is killing our industrial and social base.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:16 pm 
YORKIE

SEFTON IS MADE UP OF TWO HALVES, NORTH AND SOUTH, BUT IS ALL ONE 271 H/C 1600 P/H .

SOUTH SEFTON HAS TWO P/H COMPANIES, ONE IS SEAFORTH 380 CARS,THE ORTHER IS DELTA IT HAS 800 CARS PLUS,

WE HAVE LEARNED TO WORK SIDE BY SIDE,

WE HAVE GOT OUR RANKS WHERE THE WORK IS

MR T from sefton.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 10:38 pm 
MR T wrote:
YORKIE

SEFTON IS MADE UP OF TWO HALVES, NORTH AND SOUTH, BUT IS ALL ONE 271 H/C 1600 P/H .

SOUTH SEFTON HAS TWO P/H COMPANIES, ONE IS SEAFORTH 380 CARS,THE ORTHER IS DELTA IT HAS 800 CARS PLUS,

WE HAVE LEARNED TO WORK SIDE BY SIDE,

WE HAVE GOT OUR RANKS WHERE THE WORK IS

MR T from sefton.

well of course they have in Halifax, you will make it work as long as you get your premiums, that isnt competition sorry bud it isnt its a bloody cartel working against the consumer, and lacking.

I have tracelled the worls studying taxis, and I bet you dont even know where the need is!

you go abroad and the taxis are in residental parts early evening taking people to social centres, you dont do that, its a private hire job, cos you work together.

come on stop taking the [edited by admin], you dont know your job, cannot even conceve it, cos you have never done it

as you know, in Gateshead trade union leaders drive taxis part time build extensions to the home part time, and work full time selling fast tan.

thats how this trade is represented, fast tan salesmen and taxi owners who rent plates and never driven the thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:24 pm 
YORKIE

DONE MORE MILES THAN YOU CAN COUNT,EARNED MY MONEY THROUGH WORKING THE ROAD . NEVER LIKED MOANERS WHO THINK THINK THE WORLD OWES THEN A LIVING,

YOU PROVE A POINT THOUGH, YOU CAN EDUCATE AN IDIOT, BUT ALL YOU END UP WITH IS A EDUCATED IDIOT ................
MR T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 11:27 pm 
YORKIE

DONE MORE MILES THAN YOU CAN COUNT,EARNED MY MONEY THROUGH WORKING THE ROAD . NEVER LIKED MOANERS WHO THINK THINK THE WORLD OWES THEM A LIVING,

YOU PROVE A POINT THOUGH, YOU CAN EDUCATE AN IDIOT, BUT ALL YOU END UP WITH IS AN EDUCATED IDIOT ................
MR T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:28 am 
Yorkie wrote:
as you know, in Gateshead trade union leaders drive taxis part time build extensions to the home part time, and work full time selling fast tan.

thats how this trade is represented, fast tan salesmen and taxi owners who rent plates and never driven the thing.

Geoff, as you well know I offered my resignation to the branch when I left the trade, they asked me to complete the year for which I had been ELECTED, I will not be standing at the AGM in February. As a trade unionist yourself you surely understand that the sole purpose for having "representatives" is to put forward the views of the membership, in the past this wasn't done in Gateshead.

Yorkie wrote:
it was my new year resolution to be nice to him, but by God what a Hypocrite.

Yorkie, mate, brother union member, lets stop the petty bickering, it is so counter productive, I would like to offer an olive branch, I'm prepared to start 2005 with a clean slate, no more will I berate your opinions or statements.

Yorkie wrote:
we cannot earn a crust sitting in long rank ques do we? but wait a minute that is not a taxi mans job, they are supposed to go out and meet demand anywhere in the bourogh, but the lazy sods dont want to do that.

If more people in the trade were taxi men and did the job right we would reduce this unmet demand. As you know Gateshead covers a large area yet every single HC work the same 3 ranks during the day and 2 ranks on a night. Outlining areas have NO HC provision with regard ranks yet some do make a good living from taking phonework in these areas, these are the people returning their HC plates and relicensing PH.

Yorkie wrote:
until Mick T, you see the light and think stategicaly you will see that public transports biggest competition is the family car, and if relevant services are not delivered quick, our roads will be jammed solid.

I agree that the family car is public transports biggest competition, but how many car owning passengers do we carry compared to the busses.

LTP's strongly favour the PRIVATELY OWNED bus companies, I know the government state that we should be considered as part of an integrated public transport system, however in practice local councils consider us part of the problem and not part of the solution.

I would also like to state that certain areas HC drivers should really get a grip, Durham City and Halifax to name just 2 areas have obviously to few licensed HC's. This de-values my argument but please consider this, rank provision in the whole of Gateshead borough is appauling and the 300% rise in plate numbers has had a damaging efect. If the plate numbers were to increase by 300% in Halifax to 111 vehicles you would eliminate unmet demand but if the number of PH vehicles grew as well could you ensure the income of your drivers.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:54 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Yorkie wrote:

Geoff, as you well know I offered my resignation to the branch when I left the trade, they asked me to complete the year for which I had been ELECTED, I will not be standing at the AGM in February. As a trade unionist yourself you surely understand that the sole purpose for having "representatives" is to put forward the views of the membership, in the past this wasn't done in Gateshead.

well as I have said b4 youve got this all wrong, we dont elect, representatives, not many Tand G branches do but stewards, first and foremost thier job is to follow the unions policy the manifesto they join up for.
I decided a long time ago not to participate as they negotiate with me.
and no no steward has any authority to go against policy and principles laid down by the executive.
were you the only one at this meeting, I know a quoram, did you achieve it?
It staggers me,is your a bullied branch?

Yorkie wrote:
it was my new year resolution to be nice to him, but by God what a Hypocrite.

Yorkie, mate, brother union member, lets stop the petty bickering, it is so counter productive, I would like to offer an olive branch, I'm prepared to start 2005 with a clean slate, no more will I berate your opinions or statements.

very good I decided that too.

Yorkie wrote:

If more people in the trade were taxi men and did the job right we would reduce this unmet demand. As you know Gateshead covers a large area yet every single HC work the same 3 ranks during the day and 2 ranks on a night. Outlining areas have NO HC provision with regard ranks yet some do make a good living from taking phonework in these areas, these are the people returning their HC plates and relicensing PH.

Reply.
a taxi on rank is a wasted resource, and thier job is not to be on rank for long periods they should ply for hire, meeting needs elsewhere.

Yorkie wrote:

I agree that the family car is public transports biggest competition, but how many car owning passengers do we carry compared to the busses.

Reply.
most of them actualy in most parts, a car driver is the idlest of all people, and when he collects his car after service he does so in taxi.

LTP's strongly favour the PRIVATELY OWNED bus companies, I know the government state that we should be considered as part of an integrated public transport system, however in practice local councils consider us part of the problem and not part of the solution.

I strongly disagree, certainly not ours and the majority of ones I have seen.

I would also like to state that certain areas HC drivers should really get a grip, Durham City and Halifax to name just 2 areas have obviously to few licensed HC's. This de-values my argument but please consider this, rank provision in the whole of Gateshead borough is appauling and the 300% rise in plate numbers has had a damaging efect. If the plate numbers were to increase by 300% in Halifax to 111 vehicles you would eliminate unmet demand but if the number of PH vehicles grew as well could you ensure the income of your drivers.

it could not, would not does not happen, if taxis rose private hire would fall, does everywhere, love it to be prooved

B. Lucky :twisted:

In conclusion have a happy new year, and I would not carry the burden to February if I was in your shoes.

I work in my area more hours than most, would love to be our Steward I, at least can see that people in special roles life has chosen, sometimes cannot have ones cake and eat it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 12:57 am 
MR T wrote:
YORKIE

DONE MORE MILES THAN YOU CAN COUNT,EARNED MY MONEY THROUGH WORKING THE ROAD . NEVER LIKED MOANERS WHO THINK THINK THE WORLD OWES THEM A LIVING,

YOU PROVE A POINT THOUGH, YOU CAN EDUCATE AN IDIOT, BUT ALL YOU END UP WITH IS AN EDUCATED IDIOT ................
MR T

very good and you shout as well.

at least you try not to proove me wrong,

which is fair you cannot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:41 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
You 'suspect' too much, give me some facts and figures to back your suspicions up,

OK I'll concede the point Mr Greenbadgecabby, after all, I'm unlikely to know the score as well as you.

So please tell us, how much can a black cab driver earn in London?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 3:50 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[and you still havent revealed to us where you are a Taxi driver, my suspicions are growing deeper.

As I said about 24 hours ago, you haven't exactly narrowed it down either, so I won't either. :wink:

Just to explain, a bit tiresome since it's been explained umpteen times before, but obviously you haven't been on here long, we prefer not to reveal too much about ourselves because we get nothing from the site and don't want the kudos, it's just about providing a debating forum and putting our views across.

We get enough grief on here as it is, and we don't want to make things any worse by revealing our personal details - at least the grief on here is only of the 'names' variety, and not the 'sticks and stones'.

Another point is that we don't have a problem with people posting anonymously on here, indeed we postively encourage it, because otherwise people wouldn't post at all, or would say what they think they should be saying, not what they actually want to say.

Anyway, the interest you show in where I work is usually symptomatic of trying to dodge and/or undermine the substantive issues.

So, please tell me, what is the relevance of your question???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:03 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
my suspicions are growing deeper.

In fact I may begin to 'suspect' you 'drive' a Taxi from a desk, whilst reading books with long words in them!!

'Suspicions' about what? That I'm not a taxi driver?

What do you think I'm doing up at this time :lol:

This is an old chestnut as well, in a way it's quite flattering that people seem to think that I and one or two others are not taxi drivers :oops:

Yes, I certainly read books, and I've got a cheap desk that I bought from Argos about twenty years ago, but I'm not sure why you think this is imcompatible with being a taxi driver. There are plenty on here who use long words, and a couple of London drivers who've been on here were certainly quite adept at using them. :)

I'm perplexed - are you saying that you think that anyone using longer words (to use your phrase) than yourself can't be a driver?

I've certainly had my suspicions about other people on forums, but in the final analysis they've always known the trade too well NOT to be a driver - it's always obvious when the likes of politicians proffer their views on the trade that they don't have a scooby about it.

Anyway, you can assume I'm anyone you want if you think it will help your arguments.

Which leads to the question, what relevance is it whether facts or opinion come from a driver or not?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:09 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:
By the way, what do you mean by 'just fine'?

I mean just that, his takings match mine and he works in a restricted plate area where he rents a TX.

So you think that clarifies what you mean by 'just fine' - that could mean anything :?

Anyway, as regards the latter part of your answer, here's the kind of point that an MP wouldn't make, but with my intimate knowledge of the trade, I can :D

Saying that your takings matches his doesn't really tell us much, because you could well be working Monday to Friday 9-5, whereas he could be working nights 70 hours a week including every Friday and Saturday.

I suspect than in most locations the latter would be taking at least two or three times what the former would.

So saying that you're taking the same as your Edinburgh mate tells us Jack; you could even be working part time.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 4:16 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[He pays about £40 more per week than I will, so the point was there is not a great difference between the 'unrestricted' London (apart from a small matter of 3 years doing the knowledge in your own time and 3 yrs of lost earnings) and a restricted area like Edinburgh (12 weeks to get license and £25,000 for a plate, oh that equates to almost 3 years lost earnings whilst on the knowledge?)

But on the Fastblacks/Edinburgh forum you said:

£285 a week? Jesus! i thought the london trade prices were a bit o.t.t.

How many hours do you have to work to pay that???

Don't you have any trade organisations that represent the trade? Its not always the answer, but we (LTDA) found drive in's get the attention of the Carriage Office and Ken Livingston. (or whatever your licensing body is)

I won't complain too much with my £180 rent per week in January (full flat!)

You seem to have changed your tune somewhat, presumably it's just spun to suit whichever point you want to be making at the time?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11 ... 22  Next