Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 10:16 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:17 am 

TDO wrote:
I suspect than in most locations the latter would be taking at least two or three times what the former would.

So saying that you're taking the same as your Edinburgh mate tells us Jack; you could even be working part time.

Maybe, We wish, its my cousin, and no.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:20 am 

TDO wrote:

'Suspicions' about what? That I'm not a taxi driver?

MMM you could put it like that, i guess.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:25 am 

So Mr TDO, i now have this image of you with your argos desk, up all hours of the night, typing away with your opinions . . . tell me does your room have a bare light bulb?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:47 am 

TDO wrote:

So am I right or wrong, or are you just trying to dodge the issue?

By the way, I don't know why you think I'm trying to be an 'expert' on the London trade, I merely made a remark that was heavily qualified by the words 'I suspect', so again it looks like you are trying to misrepresent me to deflect attention from the substantive point.

There's that ISSUE word again, just what issue am i trying to avoid?? :-| So it would be reasonable to suggest you seem to have a bit of a hang up about the London trade. I can't help it if we are the cream down here . . or if its quiet where you work, still look on the bright side all this free time to reply to our entries.

Become a cockney mate and live a little.

Was santa good to you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:51 am 

captain cab wrote:
Quote:
By the way, I don't get the Rover joke

werent rovers fitted to FX4's before nissans?

The Rover FX4R, now there was a quality build, 2.2 litres of crap. Still kept the garages fully occupied even in the kipper.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 10:15 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
So Mr TDO, i now have this image of you with your argos desk, up all hours of the night, typing away with your opinions . . . tell me does your room have a bare light bulb?

I think you will find that's Sussex. :D

Alex

Simply the best taxi forum in the whole wide world. www.taxi-driver.co.uk

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 3:22 pm 

MR T wrote:
SUSSEX. For 30 years i have been in trade and seen the likes of you come and go,year in year out ,

always left to pick up the pieces when you go. P.S.

every M.P i have ever spoken to says the same thing, that deregulation does not work in transport ,

Do you read the Liverpool echo Mr T?

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:08 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:
I'm not sure how you can support drivers paying inflated rentals to those who control the plates.

I never said at any stage i did, i think your trying to hard to de-cry everyone at once with your opinions, perhaps getting a bit muddled?

Not at all Mr Greenbadgecabby, I rarely get muddled #-o :-k [-o<

If it'll help you, I'll briefly summarise our exchanges on this thread.

You opened with:

After reading this little lot, one realises how lucky we are in London. £50k for a plate and thats before LTI take another £30k of you for their plastic fords! God i need to sit down and have a drink. Oh that means i can't work tonight! Damn it, still never mind. Happy New Year to all, see you on the other side . . . .

I replied:

Yes, Mr Greenbadgecabby, that's why many drivers outside London have to pay such inflated rentals in order that they can work.

You then sidetracked by claiming that I was making it sound like working in London was a breeze, but I'm not sure where you got that from, as I explained. However, you closed by saying:

Anyway the 'knowledge' is open to one and all, so if you cant beat 'em join 'em . . . .

I replied:

As per all other LAs in the UK.

But in many cab ownership is not open to all and thus drivers pay inflated rentals merely to rank up. That was the point of my post, not whether or not being a driver in London was a breeze.

You then said that you cousin worked in Edinburgh and did 'just fine'. I replied that since you didn't say whether he was a plateholder or not (ie whether he was paying inflated rentals or not) then you hadn't appreciated the substantive point I was making (about the inflated rentals).

You then replied:

I mean just that, his takings match mine and he works in a restricted plate area where he rents a TX.

He pays about £40 more per week than I will, so the point was there is not a great difference between the 'unrestricted' London (apart from a small matter of 3 years doing the knowledge in your own time and 3 yrs of lost earnings) and a restricted area like Edinburgh (12 weeks to get license and £25,000 for a plate, oh that equates to almost 3 years lost earnings whilst on the knowledge?)

So despite several opportunities, you never condemned drivers paying inflated rentals, and indeed your attitude to the Edinburgh scenario seemed to be that it wasn't a problem.

I then pointed out that on the Edinburgh forum you said:

£285 a week? Jesus! i thought the london trade prices were a bit o.t.t.

How many hours do you have to work to pay that???

Don't you have any trade organisations that represent the trade? Its not always the answer, but we (LTDA) found drive in's get the attention of the Carriage Office and Ken Livingston. (or whatever your licensing body is)

I won't complain too much with my £180 rent per week in January (full flat!)

This seems to express some incredulity at the inflated rentals being paid in Edinburgh, to principle that I condemned at the outset, but which you hadn't earlier, but on the other hand expressed incredulity at on another forum.

I then said:

Anyway, however much a driver is paying in inflated rentals for the plate doens't really matter, it's the principle that many have a problem with.

I can quite understand people who have a vested interest in restricted numbers arguing for thier retention, but since you have no stake, I'm not sure how you can support drivers paying inflated rentals to those who control the plates.

Answer me this, if when you start renting you had to pay £100 over the odds because only some people in London were allowed to run cabs (say numbers were restricted to 10,000), presumably it would bother you?

You then latched on to that portion of my post in bold italics and said:

I never said at any stage i did, i think your trying to hard to de-cry everyone at once with your opinions, perhaps getting a bit muddled?

Clearly you didn't actually say that, but since I put the point to you several times, and you ignored it, and indeed seemed to defend it in the context of Edinburgh, then I think my assumption in bold italics above was a fair one.

And still you (presumably deliberately) don't say whether or not you support the principle of drivers paying inflated rentals to those who are allowed to control ownership of a city's taxi fleet.

So perhaps you could finally make you views on this known, and it it helps, answer the specific question I posed earlier in relation to London:

Answer me this, if when you start renting you had to pay £100 over the odds because only some people in London were allowed to run cabs (say numbers were restricted to 10,000), presumably it would bother you?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:12 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[My relative pays £220 a week for days, in January i pay £180 by-weekley as i rent my cab out on the flat. As i work non-stop throughout December
thats my choice to relax through Jan and Feb

Again you seem to be getting a bit mixed up, perhaps you should restrict the numbers on the forum, say to the highest bidder, then when they get bored they could sell it on, obviously at a higher price . . . .

Mixed up about what?

Do you think £220 for DAYS isn't much?

What about the £285 that you expressed incredulity about on the Fastblacks forum?

As for your suggeststion, I think we'll leave that kind of thing to the taxi plate cartels :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:14 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:
I suspect than in most locations the latter would be taking at least two or three times what the former would.

So saying that you're taking the same as your Edinburgh mate tells us Jack; you could even be working part time.

Maybe, We wish, its my cousin, and no.

Well that clarifies things. :?

So if you won't say, then we can therefore assume that you were not comparing like for like when comparing your take to your cousin's.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:16 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
TDO wrote:

'Suspicions' about what? That I'm not a taxi driver?

MMM you could put it like that, i guess.

Well you've worked it out now in the other thread, I'm a train driver :lol:

Choo choo :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:18 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

No, but the shade was bought from B&Q about 12 years ago for a couple of quid.

And the bulb was a freebie from the council, who were handing round those energy saving ones.

But there are no moths flying round it - not in winter anyway. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:19 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
up all hours of the night, typing away with your opinions .

Like you and Mr T? :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:26 pm 

TDO wrote:
[So perhaps you could finally make you views on this known, and it it helps, answer the specific question I posed earlier in relation to London:

Yes of course it would bother me, i have not at any stage said i am for or against restricted plates, it will work in some parts of the country and not others.

You 'assumed' from the tone of my postings.

My comments on fastblacks was in reply to a posting by an Edinburgh driver, which i have since found out from my cousin to be just ever so slighty over-stated, hence me comparing my by-weekly rent in London to that of a rent in Midlothian.

Hope that sheds some light on my comments, oh and on that subject, you still havent told us about your light bulb :?: :?: !!!!!!!!!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 6:28 pm 

On second thoughts you have told us about your light bulb.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13 ... 22  Next