Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Fri Jul 05, 2024 6:22 pm

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 8:24 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Bang on there old boy, a individual HC operator would have taken 30 minutes to clear the lot, all parties were happy bunnys I take it??

I think you'll have to come up with something a bit better than that lads, I mean it's hardly scientific is it?

Let's see, one booking one night for one PH op in one NE town, and you use that to say that PH are better than HC, and also to justify a bit of self-conglatulatory back slapping.

And no doubt your implication is that this also justifies restricting taxi numbers.

How do you think a single car PH op would have coped as compared to a HC fleet of several dozen?

How many hacks in your fleet Nidge?

Anyway, many hacks just work the ranks, but I don't think that necessarily makes them any better or worse than PH.

But if individual HCs want to work mobiles, and people want to phone them then that's up to them. They may prefer knowing who will turn up, whereas if they phone a PH op anyone might turn up, even Chas!! On the other hand, they may prefer to phone a multi-car office (HC or PH or mixed) if they use multi-cars a lot.

You can't judge whole sectors on the basis of a single job!

By the way, didn't they propose for London PH ops that mobiles couldn't be used to take jobs. That would get rid of many single ops if they did this elsewhere. Did they implement it in London?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 10:14 pm 

Charlie the Paperlad wrote:
Derestriction is leading to PH drivers leaving offices and working the streets, without PH drivers PH operators cannot function, without PH operators the consumer is restricted to using individual HC operators.

No, de-restriction is leading to PH drivers having the opportunities to decide for themselves.

Most will stay with the operators, but will also be able to offer customers a choice hirings. Not just via the phone, but via the ranks or via the streets.

Which is why councils throughout the country are de-limited at a daily rate. :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:46 am 
Sussex wrote:
Most will stay with the operators,

Is this your opinion Sussex or is it based on any facts.

I have stated that the PH trade has suffered cause the exPH lads don't stay with the offices ...................... this was also confirmed as being the case in Carlisle.

If they do stay with operators whats the point of issuing them witha HC licence?

TDO wrote:
But thanks lads, your argument provides yet another justification to get rid of premiums

But derestriction doesn't get rid of premiums TDO it INCREASES THEM :roll:

How many areas that have derestricted allowed saloons .................... is it NONE ?

How many areas that have derestricted only allow WAVs ................ is it ALL OF THEM ?

How many of the councils that have derestricted numbers to allow WAVs but have maintained their quotas on saloon plates ......................... is it ALL OF THEM ?

Doesn't maintaining quotas also maintain premiums ................ this isn't rocket science either TDO .................. but it might as well be.

Is your argument against premiums or is it for more plates ................. because one deffinatly doesn't lead to another.

JD doesn't want to accept this fact either, as when he was advised of it he said that the list he was compiling cantained information of councils that maintained their old policy of quotas ................ deciding to state that "partial derestricted" areas were neither one or the other EVEN THOUGH they still maintain a policy of quantative restriction.

There is something very wrong happening here ................ something very wrong indeed.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:35 am 

Well saloon car premiums might have increased in Gateshead, but I don't think you could really say that that was down to derestriction.

If Brighton de-restricted tomorrow on the basis of WAVs, then I've no doubt it would depress saloon premiums, and of course it would wipe out the current WAV premium there.

But that's not to say that saloon premiums wouldn't increase in future, since clearly there's no reason more reason why unlimited WAVs should stop increases in saloon plate premiums than unlimited PH.

But my point is still valid, since I was talking about de-restriction, while you are talking about a scenario where saloons are still restricted.

But I do agree with you, but it's not me that decides the criterion for de-limitation.

I also think that we had a near identical conversation on TTF a couple of years ago.

Remember Alan's snow at Xmas time?

Ahhh... :mrgreen:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 5:44 am 

Sussex wrote:

I have stated that the PH trade has suffered cause the exPH lads don't stay with the offices ...................... this was also confirmed as being the case in Carlisle.

If they do stay with operators whats the point of issuing them witha HC licence?

TDO wrote:
But thanks lads, your argument provides yet another justification to get rid of premiums

How many areas that have derestricted allowed saloons .................... is it NONE ?

How many areas that have derestricted only allow WAVs ................ is it ALL OF THEM ?

How many of the councils that have derestricted numbers to allow WAVs but have maintained their quotas on saloon plates ......................... is it ALL OF THEM ?

Doesn't maintaining quotas also maintain premiums ................ this isn't rocket science either TDO .................. but it might as well be.

Is your argument against premiums or is it for more plates ................. because one deffinatly doesn't lead to another.

JD doesn't want to accept this fact either, as when he was advised of it he said that the list he was compiling cantained information of councils that maintained their old policy of quotas ................ deciding to state that "partial derestricted" areas were neither one or the other EVEN THOUGH they still maintain a policy of quantative restriction.

There is something very wrong happening here ................ something very wrong indeed.

The list is of those councils who still restrict numbers charlie. Any council who doesn't restrict numbers such as Gateshead for instance are not placed on the list.

With regard to the changing pattern in vehicle licensing, by those councils currently lifting numbers control I have to say that what you are seeing is now the norm. I suspect there will be no more new licensing of 4 seater Saloon type vehicles anywhere in the country, except of course those saloons that already exist.

In effect almost every council on that list who has lifted numbers control will echo the pattern that is being set by the other councils.

I have no doubt that the trade mags will pick up the trend sooner or later and it will be interesting to see what they have to say.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:13 am 

Sussex wrote:

Both.

Why would a driver give up his school run, or give up the money he has been earning for years just because the colour of his badge changes.

The whole point of having a HC is to earn more money, not give up on what you have earnt in the past.

I know of a number of PH drivers that will share vehicles when they get their HC, thus saving a considerable sum.

So for many, if not all drivers, it's a win win situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:19 am 

Really. :? :?

Every single time the big D is debated at local council level, the scaremonger say it will be the end of the world, they say their £50,000 council gift will be worthless. :sad:

I've yet to see anyone call for the big D to increase plate premiums. :shock:

As for saloon plate prices, well if an idiot wishes to buy an advantage for many thousands of pounds, which will be worthless when the DDA 2010-2020 comes into play, then more fool him. :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 9:48 am 
The report is now on the couincil site.
http://peace.brighton-hove.gov.uk/intra ... +Panel.doc

as i said on the other thread.
I got my plate for nothing from good old Brighton Council.
I'm still on a circuit and will never leave. Its called paying for my mortgage and my wheel chair cab.
The opertaors are concerned that some ph will change to taxi. But they are more concerned that the value of there plates will be worth nothing.
When the last lot of plates got issued they were falling over themnselves to buy from the lads. Paying top dollar.
They dont give a ***k about anything bar there back pockets.
Will I be happy if loads more plates got issuesd, of course not. But they are going to be issued to proper drivers.
As someone said on here a while ago. Is it really fair to stop someone having the same chances as others.
At the end of the day it should be down to what is best for customers not what is best for the taxi operators.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 10:04 am 
Cgull wrote:
The report is now on the couincil site.
http://peace.brighton-hove.gov.uk/intra ... +Panel.doc

as i said on the other thread.
I got my plate for nothing from good old Brighton Council.
I'm still on a circuit and will never leave. Its called paying for my mortgage and my wheel chair cab.
The opertaors are concerned that some ph will change to taxi. But they are more concerned that the value of there plates will be worth nothing.
When the last lot of plates got issued they were falling over themnselves to buy from the lads. Paying top dollar.
They dont give a ***k about anything bar there back pockets.
Will I be happy if loads more plates got issuesd, of course not. But they are going to be issued to proper drivers.
As someone said on here a while ago. Is it really fair to stop someone having the same chances as others.
At the end of the day it should be down to what is best for customers not what is best for the taxi operators.

It won't get passed simple.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 2:02 pm 

JD wrote:

More nonsense, Brighton has a decrepit fleet of vehicles of which 78.5 percent aren't even wheelchair compliant.

The figure of 78.5% for wheelchair compliant vehicles in Brighton is incorrect the accurate figure is 82.26%. I suspect that makes it more abysmal than was first thought.

Only 17.74% of the Brighton Hackney Carriage fleet licensed to carry wheelchairs? shame on you Brighton Councillors.

Your flag ship status is sinking fast but then again who was it that gave you this flag ship status in the first place? Certainly not the trade and certainly not through any quality elimination proccess. Perhaps you foisted the petard on yourself? I suppose thats unthinkable?

Best wishes.

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:18 pm 
Sussex wrote:
As for saloon plate prices, well if an idiot wishes to buy an advantage for many thousands of pounds, which will be worthless when the DDA 2010-2020 comes into play, then more fool him. :lol:

Is it going to come in though Sussex ............. I have heard that it won't ............ I have heard that the disabled community have stated that a number of saloon vehicles are required by a section of the disabled community and that provision of such vehicles should remain.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:36 pm 
JD wrote:
Your flag ship status is sinking fast but then again who was it that gave you this flag ship status in the first place? Certainly not the trade and certainly not through any quality elimination proccess. Perhaps you foisted the petard on yourself? I suppose thats unthinkable?

Best wishes.

JD

I think your exactly right JD.

However I do think that they are one of the few councils that have given any thought to how best to form a "taxi" policy.
As I have previously stated, in my opinion, they haven't done anywhere near enough proper investigation ................. this is without doubt highlighted in the WAV provision being less than 20% of the total fleet.

Just to clarify a point made to me recently .......... from a E7 driver ........ who stated that in the last 3 months he hadn't picked up a single wheelchair user and that more plates were a waste of time ............. I replied by asking him how many jobs he had done where he had carried more than 4 people as in many cases the inclusion of WAV vehicles mean't that as well as providing services to the disabled community HIS VEHICLE was providing services to groups of more than 4 who wished to travel together ..................... a point never raised on here and a point he was blissfully unaware of.

Lets have proper investigation into what services we need to be ensuring provision for ................ the arguments for and against more plates seem to be based on the individuals ambitions .............. and not on whats best for the consumer.

How many of the WAVs in Brighton can carry more than 4 passengers, and how many people living or visiting Brighton wish to travel in groups of more than 4 ?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:03 pm 
JD wrote:
The figure of 78.5% for wheelchair compliant vehicles in Brighton is incorrect the accurate figure is 82.26%. I suspect that makes it more abysmal than was first thought.

Only 17.74% of the Brighton Hackney Carriage fleet licensed to carry wheelchairs? shame on you Brighton Councillors.

They had a survey a yeswr or so ago and Halcrow said that the council need to license an extra 130 odd WAVs to ensure that WAV customers get equal treatment.
The council went for 19 straight away and five a year.
So in about 2o years time disabled customers will get their equality from this council.
And don't forget I drive one so i know how long WAV customers have to wait.
Sometimes its hours. :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:07 pm 

Sussex wrote:

Is it going to come in though Sussex ............. I have heard that it won't ............ I have heard that the disabled community have stated that a number of saloon vehicles are required by a section of the disabled community and that provision of such vehicles should remain.

I had my doubts up until the DfT published the list of councils that will be in the first phase.

Bearing in mind the amount of councils that have used phase 1 as a basis of their vehicle policy, I think if nothing happens then quite a few drivers could seek legal action against those councils.

I.E saying to their councils 'you said that I needed a £30,000 motor, when nothing has, or is going to happen'.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 7:24 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Bearing in mind the amount of councils that have used phase 1 as a basis of their vehicle policy, I think if nothing happens then quite a few drivers could seek legal action against those councils.

I.E saying to their councils 'you said that I needed a £30,000 motor, when nothing has, or is going to happen'.

I doubt if they would have any grounds since they can go WAV at anytime irrespective of DDA.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next