Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:01 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:04 am 
:P EXACTLY RIGHT :P

The damage to the industry to few taxis bring is mirrored by having to many.

We should be trying to find out how many taxis satisfies demand without causing financial hardship to those involved, old and new.

The only way forward is to survey the real demand then ensure provision is adequate.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 12:06 am 

I am glad to see the press release makes sense to some :wink:

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 1:38 am 

Mr T knows that he is standing in quicksand when it comes to his baseless talk on this issue.

Quote:
Take one transport minister,let's call him McNulty let's say his job is to work with the disabled groups,and they are pushing for all the taxis in the land to be w.a.v...But there is no way he can force the councils in this land to get rid of the saloon vehicles they already have, As the years go on the pressure builds up ,so he/they come up with the idea of removing restrictions on the number of licences ,BUT at the same time telling them to issue new licences to w.a.v... At least he will be able to say,Look how many more you have now..........in 2010......

Quote:
Take one transport minister,let's call him McNulty

why? because that was his name? the infidel Charlotte Atkins will be upset!

Quote:
let's say his job is to work with the disabled groups,

So then what will we let disabled minister do? defence?, great idea job sharing. Neither McNulty or Atkins are disability ministers, they are in transport.

Quote:
and they are pushing for all the taxis in the land to be w.a.v

No the DDA is doing this, it passed 10 years ago with all party support.

Quote:
But there is no way he can force the councils in this land to get rid of the saloon vehicles they already have

Well since 1986, Carbodies and Metrocab chased councils to convert fleets from saloon to WAV, so whats the problem with the government insisting LA's follow their obligations to an act of parliament?

Quote:
so he/they come up with the idea of removing restrictions on the number of licences

No, the 1985 transport act came up with the idea and councils have to justify limits through surveys came up with this idea (if challenged), and of course the OFT report.

Quote:
BUT at the same time telling them to issue new licences to w.a.v...

So would it be better that unmet demand is met by private hire merely having to remove their plates from PH to HC? :roll:
This is crazy talk.

Quote:
At least he will be able to say,Look how many more you have now..........in 2010

Where the hell do you get your information?

2010 is the deadline that first phase LA's must have a policy in place, 2020 is the final date. You are retreating on all fronts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 4:11 am 
MR T wrote:
Anyone who thinks, for one second, that the Phase 1 list of councils wont have to adhere to compulsory WAVs, is living in cloud cuckoo land. Enter SCATA, T&G and NTTG.

Suscap What percentage of disabled people are in wheelchairs ,dont other disabled people have rights as well,
Am I right in thinking that p/h in this area of disability are being looked at too. MR T.

but of course one purpose fits another doesnt it?
a low floor bus put on trial in cornwall found massive uptake in passengers using baby pushchairs.

remember also that we are only required to load regulation wheelchairs and we are reccomended to put these passengers in ordinary seats

the population of all disabled which includes wheelchairs under age 65 is one in 6

remember also we are having fewer born and an aging population, you I suspect mr T will ignore demographics, thats fine by me.

the case for WAV vehicles which may assist other classes of disabled including back loaders, or especialy backloaders has been soundly made to the inteligent.

you will stay as you are at your peril.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:40 am 

captain cab wrote:
GA,

I tend to agree with you :shock:

However, I was merely pointing out that the report was fair, it would seem however from the minutes of the meeting, that the local association didnt help themselves here.

But, that being stated, if the LA were that certain of an unmet demand, what problem would a survey have been? Thats my only real problem with the cherwell issue.

The Council for whatever reason decided that restricting numbers didn't benefit the public and they couldn't justify keeping a policy which had the sole purpose of benefiting no one but a handful of CAb drivers.

Cherwell only needed to survey if they intended to keep their current policy of restriction. Seeing as they decided to change their policy, there was no need for a survey. Simple as that.

I suspect when the Government said "Councils know best when determining local policy", it meant just that. The Government advised councils that they only need to survey if they intended to keep a numbers policy. The reason for that advice is to protect a restricted policy decision against a legal challenge.

The Cheerful report was balanced, so the LO and Councillors are beyond reproach.

It might be desirable to some that all councils should undertake an unmet demand survey before they consider whether or not to restrict licenses. However, there is no provision in law or indeed in any advice from the Government that remotely suggests they should.

Perhaps those advocating for a change in the law should have done so in 1985. Don't forget it was our National trade body who was instrumental in formulating the wording in section sixteen and that is the only reason why councils even have the option of restricting numbers, in present day.

So regardless whether a person bought in, or got a free plate, those owners in restricted authorities might wish to consider to whom they owe their continued good fortune. Perhaps then if they didn't already know, they might come to realise that they don't have a God given right to continually expect Councillors to maintain their standard of living.

They only have the good fortune which the then National Federation gave them by virtue of section 16.

We can only work within the parameters of the law, therefore I suggest people concentrate their minds on what the law implies not what they would like it to imply. Perhaps then we might get a little sanity in these debates without the hysterics from certain elements.

Best wishes

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 8:11 am 

MR T wrote:
Suscap What percentage of disabled people are in wheelchairs ,dont other disabled people have rights as well,
Am I right in thinking that p/h in this area of disability are being looked at too. MR T.

I've no idea what % of disabled people are in wheel-chairs, but that battle was fought and lost 10 years ago.

As I have said before, if the gov didn't bring out their Phase 1 list pre-OFT, then maybe the DDA wouldn't have been in place in the cab trade for many many years.

But they did, and the 2010-2020 timescale will be met, whether we like it or not.

As for PH, well when it applies to them, then so be it, because most of us will be driving cabs by then. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:48 pm 
[quote="Iraq Information Minister"]Mr T knows that he is standing in quicksand when it comes to his baseless talk on this

YOU SIR ARE A FOOL.....and I find people who find terrorists funny........ extremely SICK....
MR T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 5:59 pm 
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

I've no idea what % of disabled people are in wheel-chairs, but that battle was fought and lost 10 years ago.

As I have said before, if the gov didn't bring out their Phase 1 list pre-OFT, then maybe the DDA wouldn't have been in place in the cab trade for many many years.

But they did, and the 2010-2020 timescale will be met, whether we like it or not.

As for PH, well when it applies to them, then so be it, because most of us will be driving cabs by then. :wink:
You really believe everything you read dont you.(how quaint) MR T.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 6:32 pm 

MR T wrote:

No not really, but what I do believe will happen, more times than not, does happen. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 9:32 pm 
Sussex wrote:
MR T wrote:

No not really, but what I do believe will happen, more times than not, does happen. :wink:

Like the OFT delivering single tier?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 10:22 pm 
Yorkie wrote:
MR T wrote:
Anyone who thinks, for one second, that the Phase 1 list of councils wont have to adhere to compulsory WAVs, is living in cloud cuckoo land. Enter SCATA, T&G and NTTG.

but of course one purpose fits another doesnt it?
a low floor bus put on trial in cornwall found massive uptake in passengers using baby pushchairs.

remember also that we are only required to load regulation wheelchairs and we are reccomended to put these passengers in ordinary seats

the population of all disabled which includes wheelchairs under age 65 is one in 6

remember also we are having fewer born and an aging population, you I suspect mr T will ignore demographics, thats fine by me.

the case for WAV vehicles which may assist other classes of disabled including back loaders, or especialy backloaders has been soundly made to the inteligent.

you will stay as you are at your peril.
Mr york. Re backloading vehicles
where the passenger is placed in an area which was designed to crumple on impact, to us is not a good idea

When you have a rank with 100 vehicles working it, we need to keep it moving,rearloading vehicles are a ..no..no..

We look on our trade as a profession and treat it as such,on our main stand in bootle,we have two men who load prams and bags for the shoppers day in day out ,as I have said before we have 271 public/hire 210 w.a.v the rest saloons, over 200 cabs every school day are on contract work ...(wheelchairs)

In your area your needs and way of working may well be different
MR T

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:12 pm 

JD,

An intelligent, well thought out response.

As I said, I didnt have a problem with the report, and feel that the local trade havent done thenselves any favours.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:24 pm 

Quote:

The percentages are irrelavent, the law is in place and it will happen, you fail to see from that question as to why the act was brought in, it will however start with phase one 2010 to 2020, after phase one phase two.

It is noticable that the government have changed wordage, wheelchair seems to have been dropped in favour of accessible, thus explaining that the government wish to see differing types of HC's and as announced by the government in October 2003.

This will include all types of vehicles not just one. It is also generally accepted that the trade will purchase differing types of vehicle, so prepare for the COF to be reviewed and reviewed until TFL accept the will of the DFT.

The inclusion of PH in the DDA seems to me more of a politcally correct move for PH operators to comply with being accessible to the ambient disabled. Although if you read the consultation you may disagree.

Regards

Captain cab

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:25 pm 

Gateshead Angel wrote:
Like the OFT delivering single tier?

Well if you have ever read any of my posts, I believe that a single tier will never happen.

As I have said, it doesn't matter how many tiers you have, as long as they are free and open to all drivers, then that will do for me. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 01, 2005 11:34 pm 

Quote:
Well if you have ever read any of my posts, I believe that a single tier will never happen.

Thats right, where will all the PH go? :wink:

oops, dont mention the framework for taxis :shock:

Captain cab