Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:40 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:42 am 

Sussex wrote:
[
Taxi drivers are switching to London-style cabs in a bid to boost trade.

. . . . and empty their bank accounts . . . . . . .

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 12:48 am 

Sussex wrote:
[He said: "The customers love it. It is the image. London taxis are part of the fabric of Britain and everybody recognises them."

The TX11 taxis are made by LTI vehicles. Sales and marketing director Matthew Cheyne said: "The traditional black cab has become iconic. They see the familiar and reassuring shape and will walk past other vehicles to get to it.[/b]

The fabric of Britain eh?

Well i've heard some shi* from LTI over the years, but thats the best yet.

I wonder how much of a discount the purchaser got for that classic quote?

Matthew Cheyne said 'We're currently kacking our pants at the moment, and we know the 'icon' sales pitch is bullshite, but if London allows alternatives then Worthing will be our new HQ'

Scream :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 12, 2005 9:26 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
I wonder how much of a discount the purchaser got for that classic quote?

I would put good money on that chap having paid a lot less for his fabric, than you paid for yours. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:10 pm 

TDO wrote:
So which particular aspect of the posts that you've repeated is it that you have a problem with?

You want to make it "Less easy to get a badge" bit. barrier by any other name. but how?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:48 pm 

I would have a proper knowledge test, DSA test and perhaps an exam on the rules etc as a minimum.

Unlike the mush from restricted Bournemouth, who, in a recent magazine article, wanted to leave the knowledge test and license fees until after the driver's first year, because of the 'shortage' of drivers - effectively this means no knowledge, because clearly the driver will have learnt it after a year being taught it by local punters.

But the poor soul can't get drivers because of the minimum wage :shock: , thus he clearly wants them to earn even less than the current level below the minimum wage, what with all these new drivers just turning up at the town hall to get a badge.

But why bother even with a badge, or even a driving license - they could learn to drive 'on the job' :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 5:58 pm 

Sussex, I cant undertsand what you are gloating about. The council has followed a free for all strategy, and now its beginning to bite. However they are too proud to admit that dereg was a mistake, points 3.2.11 3.3
3.4.1 make very good reading for the deregulation brigade.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Aug 18, 2005 6:37 pm 

187ums wrote:
Sussex, I cant undertsand what you are gloating about. The council has followed a free for all strategy, and now its beginning to bite. However they are too proud to admit that dereg was a mistake, points 3.2.11 3.3
3.4.1 make very good reading for the deregulation brigade.

Well I can't see your points re: 3.2.11 and 3.3.

As for the issue of the MP's view in 3.4.1. Well in one breath she is saying that soon their wont be enough cabs, and in the next she is moaning that there are too many.

It would appear she has been well briefed by the 'do as I say, not as I do' brigade. ](*,)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:12 pm 

TDO wrote:
I would have a proper knowledge test, DSA test and perhaps an exam on the rules etc as a minimum.

Unlike the mush from restricted Bournemouth, who, in a recent magazine article, wanted to leave the knowledge test and license fees until after the driver's first year, because of the 'shortage' of drivers - effectively this means no knowledge, because clearly the driver will have learnt it after a year being taught it by local punters.

But the poor soul can't get drivers because of the minimum wage :shock: , thus he clearly wants them to earn even less than the current level below the minimum wage, what with all these new drivers just turning up at the town hall to get a badge.

But why bother even with a badge, or even a driving license - they could learn to drive 'on the job' :lol:

O.K. I see your point up to a point. I've been a Taxi driver for 20 years, in the one location. Would I need a knowledge test.? I have a clean license, and have a full NCB. Would I need a DSA test? Or would the regime you propose only apply to new entrants?
I can't get drivers either, so I don't try. Today I paid myself less than the minimum wage. Is that legal?

I have read that insome areas where the DSA test drivers the fail rate is high, and drivers wait an age for a re-test. Supposing I was tested and failed? The only reason I personally would advocate testing existing drivers would be if they had a poor accident/speeding record.
A Drink drive conviction should lead to a ten year Taxi driving ban. Minimum.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:45 pm 

I was talking primarily about new drivers, but as regards existing drivers, there's more to good driving than avoiding accidents and tickets, as the failure rate re the DSA test often indicates.

There would be little point in a knowledge test for experienced drivers, as I more or less said in relation to Bournemouth.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 6:50 pm 

When the DSA aprroached my LA with regard to driving tests, it had all the markings of a make work for the DSA, rather than a way to improve driving standards. The same goes for other "training courses" that have been offered at a price, time, and money, to the driver.
My wonderful (no irony) LA sent them packing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:02 pm 

jimbo wrote:

So they want taxis to be £30,000 motors, but aren't that worried about the standards of the driver. [-(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 19, 2005 7:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:

So they want taxis to be £30,000 motors, but aren't that worried about the standards of the driver. [-(

They felt you could not improve on perfection.