Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:00 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:17 pm 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:
There's an advert in PHM for tenders for a survey in a sleepy hollow called Eastbourne.Taking bets Sussex?

I will do it for a grand, can't be fairer than that. :D

Your too biased :lol:

Yeah but I'm cheap. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:33 pm 

Sussex wrote:
Realcabforceforum wrote:
Sussex wrote:
jimbo wrote:
There's an advert in PHM for tenders for a survey in a sleepy hollow called Eastbourne.Taking bets Sussex?

I will do it for a grand, can't be fairer than that. :D

Your too biased :lol:

Yeah but I'm cheap. :wink:

WE finally agree on something at last :P

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 5:54 pm 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
Amongst other things I was highlighting how Jacobs work and their conscientious approach or lack of if in getting their facts right? I assume by your attitude you have already checked all the facts in this report and found them to be correct,

I have enough knowledge of the taxi trade in Edinburgh to see that overall the report paints a realistic picture of whats going on, it can never be perfect, nothing is, but to suggest the council just bought their own information back is just plain daft.

All the information I highlighted in the very long post you mentioned was obtained from the council licensing records. Every scrap of that information has been repeatedly placed before committee members at various stages since 2001. It wasn't as if the council didn't know about it. The reason why it finds its way into the Jacobs report is because the information has to be seen to be independent but there are no license details in the Jacobs report that the council didn't know about and if they didn't know they could have asked the LO to supply them.

So the council have paid Jacobs to supply them with information that already belonged to them.

Naturally the actual survey element is down to Jacobs but that is what they get paid for.

Now I have a question for you, You obviously believe the report is accurate, then how do you equate that each taxi driver in Edinburgh according to Jacobs only makes 1.7 journeys from Taxi ranks in the city each day? That includes every hackney carriage, A slight adjustment might be needed for any airport hackneys. Does that statistic correspond with your knowledge of Edinburgh?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:05 pm 

You can't make me read that report again :cry: , I will say again, OVERALL, it paints a realistic picture of the state of the Edinburgh trade as it stands today, with, no need for more plates at the moment thank you very much.
I can't and won't get into a debate about every single point made in it, again,I never said it was perfect,would the figures you qoute not pertain to an average over the whole trade as in 1260 cabs?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:25 pm 

JD wrote:
You obviously believe the report is accurate, then how do you equate that each taxi driver in Edinburgh according to Jacobs only makes 1.7 journeys from Taxi ranks in the city each day? That includes every hackney carriage.

I suspect the local PH do more rank work than that each day. :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:29 pm 

Realcabforceforum wrote:
You can't make me read that report again :cry: , I will say again, OVERALL, it paints a realistic picture of the state of the Edinburgh trade as it stands today, with, no need for more plates at the moment thank you very much.
I can't and won't get into a debate about every single point made in it, again,I never said it was perfect,would the figures you qoute not pertain to an average over the whole trade as in 1260 cabs?

I've never ever said Edinburgh needs more plates in fact I've never said any authority needs more plates, I don't make such statements and yes it would equate to all 1260 cabs but I did say that, if you read my post carefully.

Jacobs did say the cabs in Edinburgh are utilised to the full but if I had used the top range of their figures it would have worked out at 1.25 jobs per driver per day.

I would like your opinion if 1.7 hires per day per driver is about right? If not then we neeed to adjust Jacobs figures.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:43 pm 

So was it 31,000 rank jobs a week for 1,260 taxis? That works out at 3.5 jobs per each cab a day on average.

So if Jacobs then say the breakdown is 32% stance, 60% hail, 8% phone, then each cab must also do about 6.5 hail jobs a day, and 1 phone job.

That means around 10 jobs per cab a day.

With around 3 drivers in each car, it's no wonder it's so quiet in Edinburgh :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 7:51 pm 

Why did thet let Jacobs do the Survey?

They must be Crackers! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:15 pm 

TDO wrote:
So was it 31,000 rank jobs a week for 1,260 taxis? That works out at 3.5 jobs per each cab a day on average.

So if Jacobs then say the breakdown is 32% stance, 60% hail, 8% phone, then each cab must also do about 6.5 hail jobs a day, and 1 phone job.

With around 3 drivers in each car, it's no wonder it's so quiet in Edinburgh :lol:

That's why I never used the top range of Jacobs's figures of 2.7 drivers per cab. Obviously the reason why Jacobs state that each cab is utilised by 2.7 drivers is to give the impression that Taxis in Edinburgh are being utilised to the full. It's the old chestnut of Double Shifting. The only problem is that Jacobs make no adjustment for those drivers that may have left the Taxi trade but still renew their badge each year or for those persons on private hire who have both badges and many other reasons.

I'm surprised they didn't make any adjustments, the same, as I'm surprised at their reference to Hotels. You will notice they make the grand claim that they consulted Each of the major hotels in the Edinburgh area and asked about their experience of the taxi service. Every hotel was reasonably satisfied with the taxi service in Edinburgh. However, around half suggested ways in which they felt that the taxi service could be improved,

It is noticeable that Jacobs purposely omit the names and number of Hotels they consulted. Needles to say I have written for those details. I found out there are 125 major hotels in Edinburgh but perhaps some one could confirm that. I doubt very much that Jacobs consulted all 125 and I would like to know just how many of those Hotels Jacobs did consult actually prefer to use Private hire vehicles?

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:46 pm 

TDO wrote:

Hail jobs = 60% = 58,125
Rnk jobs = 32% = 31,000
rad jobs = 8% = 7,750

Total Jobs per week 96,875
Total number of cabs 1260 x by 2.7 drivers = 3402 drivers
Hires per week 28.47
Hires per Day 4.6
Hires per hour 0.16

lol no wonder there is no unmet demand in Edinburgh.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 8:48 pm 

Now tell me the Jacobs reported isn't flawed and so far i've only tinkered around the edges.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 9:50 pm 

Take note Health warning.

Jacobs report.

2.4 Distance Operated by Taxis.

Data was provided for a random sample of 5% of the taxi fleet for the last year since their most recent test. The average distance travelled for this sample of vehicles was 227 kilometres per day (kpd), assuming each vehicle operated for a full 365 days. The lowest mileage was 50 kpd, whilst the largest was 390 kpd. Just 8 vehicles clocked over 300 kpd, whilst 11 travelled less than 160 kpd.

According to figures published by Jacobs each cab does 227 km per day or the equivalent in mileage is 140.967 so we will round it off to 141 miles.

There are a total of 13,839 jobs per day undertaken by 1,260 cabs that’s 10.98 jobs per cab so we will be generous and round it up to 11. We then I'm afraid have to divide 11 by 2.7 drivers because that’s the figure Jacobs tell us utilise these cabs. So we are left with 4.06 It might be easier to round it down to 4 but we shall be generous and leave it as it is.

Because I'm feeling generous I'll divide the daily mileage by two in order to account for dead mileage, that leaves us with a figure of 70.5 miles, I'll round that up to 71 miles which then leaves us with a figure of 71 working miles. I'm going to divide the 71 miles by the 11 jobs per day which leaves us with 6.45 miles per job. I'm now going to divide the 11 jobs between the 2.7 drivers for each cab, which gives us a total as previously mentioned of 4.06 jobs. We can now multiply the 4.06 jobs by the mileage per job of 6.45 and we have the grand figure that each driver does an average of 26.2 working miles per daily shift. So that means each driver will cover a total including dead mileage of 52.4 miles per shift. Now that is what Jacobs tells us. But we know differently don't we?

You might wonder how all this converts into hard cash well according to Jacobs figures on page 6 section 2.7 the 2.7 drivers each earn a grand total of £56 per shift.

I had to amend a slight discrepency because I used Jacobs km chart instead of miles when I calculated the earnings. In mileage terms and not Kilometres the adjustment is as follows.

71 working miles = 4.96 miles per job = £10.57 = 14.31 jobs gross per day = 5.3 jobs per 2.7 persons = £56.00 each 2.7 persons per day.

Hail jobs = 60% = 58,125
Rnk jobs = 32% = 31,000
rad jobs = 8% = 7,750

Total Jobs per week 96,875
Total number of cabs 1260 x by 2.7 drivers = 3402 drivers
Hires per week 28.47
Hires per Day 4.6
Hires per hour 0.16

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:29 pm 

I take it that Mr Skull and friends are taking note. :roll:

Maybe they will be able to ask Jacobs and/or the LOs why their numbers bear no resemblance to the real world. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 10:42 pm 

Sussex wrote:
I take it that Mr Skull and friends are taking note. :roll:

Maybe they will be able to ask Jacobs and/or the LOs why their numbers bear no resemblance to the real world. :wink:

It demonstrates just how utterly stupid Jacobs figures are when you throw into the equation Friday and Saturday nights.

Regards

JD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 14, 2005 11:27 pm 

What it actually demonstrates is that "fools and bairns" should never see anything half done, or,more to the point, read half a report and spout rubbish. All you are doing is taking figures out of context, add a little spin, and coming up with something that is neither true or impressive. If it makes you guys feel better tho, please carry on, it's always Interesting to see another spin on a report.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 504 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 34  Next