Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:26 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:39 pm 
Tom,

have a look at your posting of Sunday September 21 2003 at 8.17 under yoyos

its a scream. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:12 pm 

Scream?

Laughing my head off.

My Drivers badge says 'Licensed Hackney Carriage/Private Hire Driver'.

So guess what Guest. That means I can drive either in our District.

That posting was aimed at folks who seem to maintain the two types of service are different.

Me, I count them as one and the same.

As I have stated previously, as soon as a hack puts in a two way radio he becomes part of the Private Hire Industry.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 5:41 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Tom Thumb wrote:
Mick

Sticking to the meter!

Does that include the out of District fares?

I recently caught a cab home from 15 miles away. It was from a Station rank and because I asked to go out of District the guy whacked it straight onto Tarriff 2, a 50% increase.

Tom,
What you describe is not unusual, and the reason is this.

Fares are based on the probability of getting a fare to take you back to rank so within zone there is little dead milage.

out of zone you need to have protective cover for the dead miles comming back.

now tom, this is the way taxis work you private hire boys may do different and use differing equasions, although please dont assume all tariff 2 are 1 x50 ours is 1 x12.5%

your posting was unfair, as unlike you private hire boys he had no chance of a fair back.

Pilkington

so you think its fair to rip off the customer?

return fair or not it should be the same.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 7:54 pm 

I must admit I have little truck with this return charge situation.

If you are an independent HC then you are going to be returning empty on most jobs within a district. And if you are a HC on a circuit then you can/will wait for a job, where you drop.

So in either cases it shouldn't apply.

On out of town work, usually these are worth while on the normal tariff, without having to charge more.

On the legal side, I would love to know where in the 1847 and 1985 Acts, it's says that councils can set a rate outside of their manors, higher than the local rate? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:20 pm 

I thought, and I am probably wrong, that councils could only set rates for journeys in their district.

The out of area surplus is 'an agreement' between the trade members.

Am I right in this or wrong?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 8:53 pm 

Tom Thumb wrote:
I thought, and I am probably wrong, that councils could only set rates for journeys in their district.

I know a few councils that operate the progressive meter i.e. say after 5 miles the meter automatically goes to meter and a half.

But I doubt even that is within the Acts, but when has that stopped a council doing something? :?

In the areas where the rate is set by the council, any agreement between HC trade members would be unlawful, but when has that stopped them doing something? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 1:40 am 
Tom Thumb wrote:

I think you are correct, though Bradfords rate card shows tarrif 2 for outer district jobs.

certainly the act says outer district is by negotiation.

Pilkington.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 2:46 am 
Sussex Man wrote:
I must admit I have little truck with this return charge situation.

If you are an independent HC then you are going to be returning empty on most jobs within a district. And if you are a HC on a circuit then you can/will wait for a job, where you drop.

So in either cases it shouldn't apply.

On out of town work, usually these are worth while on the normal tariff, without having to charge more.

On the legal side, I would love to know where in the 1847 and 1985 Acts, it's says that councils can set a rate outside of their manors, higher than the local rate? :?

Sussex,
as a mere private hire I dont suppose you will, its difficult for your wildly predjudiced mind to get around, but what the hell, read the postings when you are one of us sheeee youll see some conversion.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 8:40 am 

Yorkie wrote:
Sussex,
as a mere private hire I dont suppose you will, its difficult for your wildly predjudiced mind to get around, but what the hell, read the postings when you are one of us sheeee youll see some conversion.

I would dearly love to reply to this post, however I haven't got the foggiest idea what you are on about. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:01 am 
Sussex Man wrote:

The ACT allows for journeys outside the H/C vehicles licensing area to be negotiated prior to the journey's commencement, only journeys begining and ending within the vehicles licensing area cannot be negotiated HIGHER than the councils prescribed tariff.

P/H vehicles are not subject to any legislation regarding this matter and provided they notify the council of their intended tariff, even within their own licensing area, the council have no powers to insist they charge their own precribed rate.

B. Lucky :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 11:37 am 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Sussex Man wrote:

The ACT allows for journeys outside the H/C vehicles licensing area to be negotiated prior to the journey's commencement, only journeys begining and ending within the vehicles licensing area cannot be negotiated HIGHER than the councils prescribed tariff.

P/H vehicles are not subject to any legislation regarding this matter and provided they notify the council of their intended tariff, even within their own licensing area, the council have no powers to insist they charge their own precribed rate.

Mick,

where the hell do you get the info in para 1?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:42 pm 
Anonymous wrote:

Mick,

So whats wrong with the info Mr Guest.

Fares for H/C are maximum charges prescribed by the authority.

Negotiations ABOVE that tarrif can only be entered into, legally, if the journey ends outside the issuing authorities area.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 4:46 pm 
Gateshead Angel wrote:
Anonymous wrote:

Mick,

So whats wrong with the info Mr Guest.

Fares for H/C are maximum charges prescribed by the authority.

Negotiations ABOVE that tarrif can only be entered into, legally, if the journey ends outside the issuing authorities area.

Well lets take a taxi from gateshead to Burnley wait and return that beggins and ends in Gatehead and you can charge higher?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:13 pm 

Yorkie wrote:

Well lets take a taxi from gateshead to Burnley wait and return that beggins and ends in Gatehead and you can charge higher?

dont think the HC lads would as the meter is running on the way back too for a wait and return.
but would they be allowed / justified to charge more just because they have no return trip.
i hear storys from punters who tell me that HC drivers have tried to charge them £20 just for going over the bridge into saltash, cornwall from plymouth city centre (about £7 to 8 normal) just because they have to go back to the city centre for another fare.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2004 5:17 pm 

sorry pushed submit twice!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 68 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next