Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Sat Jun 29, 2024 6:20 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:23 pm 

streetcar wrote:
Well tell me what the other cabby did ? Streetcar

It would be wasted on you, because you need the judgement and you weren't there and anything I say you will use to prop up your little world.

The point is we are all put in situations at one time or another were things don't work out the way we want.

Like you I drive people from A-B it's simple. What I will say is there wasn't a problem until the other cabby over step the mark. He did it to me before I did it to him.

Now this won't satisfy you either because you still feel compelled to judge me by your own short comings, in other word you need a victim in some sort of shape or form, I don't. That's why I would give you the benefit of the doubt that you won't give me.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 1:47 pm 

REALCABFORCE TELL ME WHAT SKULL DID . I KNOW YOU WILL TAKE GREAT DELIGHT IN TELLING ME . I dont want to miss judge Skull . It better be bad ,the other cabbie must have at least ended up in hospital . Streetcar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:04 pm 

streetcar wrote:
REALCABFORCE TELL ME WHAT SKULL DID . I KNOW YOU WILL TAKE GREAT DELIGHT IN TELLING ME . I dont want to miss judge Skull . It better be bad ,the other cabbie must have at least ended up in hospital . Streetcar.

He asked him 'what part of Liverpool do you come from'? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:16 pm 

streetcar wrote:
Well tell me what the other cabbie did ? streetcar

Cabbie told to attend anger class after 'slap'

GARETH ROSE

A TAXI driver has been ordered to attend an anger management course after hitting another cabbie in a row over a fare.

Father-of-three Garry Thomson, 42, was also suspended for a month after the clash outside the Caledonian Hotel in Princes Street.

The decision was taken by the police’s cab inspector after Mr Thomson was charged with assault and fined £150 at Edinburgh Sheriff Court in connection with the incident.

Mr Thomson today said he was furious about his suspension and had made a complaint to the police.

The row over the fare erupted on a Saturday night last summer in a taxi rank when Mr Thomson, who was at the front of the queue, quoted a group of women £35 for a fare.

He claims the driver behind him offered to take them for £30.

A row ensued and Mr Thomson says he was spat at and in retaliation slapped the other driver through the car window.

Despite pleading guilty to assault at court, Mr Thomson still maintains his innocence.

He thought the matter had been dealt with, until a letter dropped through his door asking him to attend a hearing regarding his operator’s licence.

Evidence had been collated by the cab inspector and passed to the council’s regulatory committee.

Mr Thomson said today: "I never punched him. I’m 16 stone. If I hit someone they stay that way. The council took it upon themselves to suspend me.

"They said I’m not a fit and proper person. They’ve got no criteria, no standard, and they don’t explain how someone becomes a fit and proper person."

Mr Thomson, of Carlyle Gardens, Haddington, has also been told he will have to pay £58 for the anger management training.

"If I was an aggressive or angry person surely there would have been some complaints made against me in the last 15 years."

And Mr Thomson said his record shows that he is fit to drive cabs in the Capital.

He said: "I’ve done about 150,000 jobs and had more than 300,000 people in the back of my cab. Now, for a minor spat, I’ve been suspended. It’s not like I’m a battle-hardened criminal."

Mr Thomson has reported the cab inspector to the police complaints commission. Real Cabforce has written to the council demanding to know the criteria for what constitutes a "fit and proper" taxi driver, and why there is no appeals process against suspensions.

Edinburgh City Council was not able to comment on the case as it was heard in private.

However, a spokeswoman said: "The council's regulatory committee follows procedures outlined by the Civic Government (Scotland) Act 1982. The Act determines that a licence may be suspended under certain conditions, for example, if any activity to which the licence relates results in public nuisance or a threat to public order."

http://news.scotsman.com/archive.cfm?id=580642005

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:30 pm 

I have noticed that Marketing is not a strong point amongst taxi drivers. :shock: :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 2:50 pm 

Well Skull i must apologise . The way realcabforce keeps bringing it up . and bringing it up . and bringing it up . I was under the impression , you had assuted some one , actually hurt another human being . Clearly from the previous post , thats not quite the case . So this is it realcabforce is trying to under mine you , with this . I have had a few problems in my time , i have learnt one thing, never , never , admit to any thing . Oh well at least the whole world knows . thank you william maitland That other cab driver is a right pratt . how does he sleep at nights .NO HARD FEELINGS STREETCAR.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 3:23 pm 

No problem, such as life and all that. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 5:13 pm 

streetcar wrote:
Well Skull i must apologise . The way realcabforce keeps bringing it up . and bringing it up . and bringing it up . I was under the impression , you had assuted some one , actually hurt another human being . Clearly from the previous post , thats not quite the case . So this is it realcabforce is trying to under mine you , with this . I have had a few problems in my time , i have learnt one thing, never , never , admit to any thing . Oh well at least the whole world knows . thank you william maitland That other cab driver is a right pratt . how does he sleep at nights .NO HARD FEELINGS STREETCAR.

I do not keep bringing this subject up as you infer. Let's be quite honest about this, I disagreed, like many others, with the treatment skull received from the council, but he omits to tell you that, apart from the other driver involved claiming it was more than a slap, he (skull) practically begged the council to take away his licence for this - they refused.

I freely admit that I dislike skull for continuing his selfish vendetta against authority with no regard for the consequences of his actions. Before anyone says it, this has nothing to do with plate values, it is to do with what I and many others in Edinburgh regard as our livelihoods being threatened.

This site obviously supports skull and his crusade, but they are unaware of, and obviously do not care about, the well being of the majority of the taxi trade in Edinburgh, who disagree with skull's and their beliefs.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:10 pm 

But was the other driver not following the OFT's advice, by encouraging competition #-o on the ranks, free market and all that :roll:

I wish you could make your mind up, funny that, streetcar wants to be able to get a plate for nothing so he can compete in a free market, but when it comes to fare bargaining, that is not compatible with the free market, how so?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:38 pm 

Just as a matter of interest has anyone ever read Professor Bill Jordan and Andrew Travers "The informal economy: A case study in unrestrained competition.

It's an excellent paper, they must know their stuff, almost prophetic. 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 6:53 pm 

RealCabforce wrote:
This site obviously supports skull and his crusade, but they are unaware of, and obviously do not care about, the well being of the majority of the taxi trade in Edinburgh, who disagree with skull's and their beliefs.

This site, as far as I can see, allows people to exchange views and advice.

There are a few on here that don't like Mr Skull, and what he and his mates are doing, I'm not one of them and wish him well.

But the fact that you are allowed to vent your spleen on TDO must show it in a good light.

Even if you do get the hump when folk vent their spleen in return. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:15 pm 

William Maitland wrote:
But was the other driver not following the OFT's advice, by encouraging competition #-o on the ranks, free market and all that :roll:

Free market down-the-way, at least. But of course the other driver surely wasn't following OFT advice, at least literally, since I doubt if that has had even the slightest influence on what happens on the ranks in the UK. It could do in sometime in the future, if LAs try to encourage it, but that's for another day.

Quote:
I wish you could make your mind up, funny that, streetcar wants to be able to get a plate for nothing so he can compete in a free market, but when it comes to fare bargaining, that is not compatible with the free market, how so?

No markets are unregulated, but the quandary is what's good regulation and what's bad. I can see the reasoning behind fare regulation, but have never managed to see any rational justification for controlling taxi numbers, unless, of course, from the perspective of the plate holders who benefit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:22 pm 

William Maitland wrote:
Just as a matter of interest has anyone ever read Professor Bill Jordan and Andrew Travers "The informal economy: A case study in unrestrained competition.

It's an excellent paper, they must know their stuff, almost prophetic. 8)

Interesting, and at the very least demonstrates that fare discounting didn't require the intervention of the OFT, since the paper was written in 1998.

Sounds a bit like my own manor though, but I don't think we have drug dealers driving taxis or drivers on speed. But I suspect it reflects many other places in the UK, particularly mid-sized towns.

I'm a bit sceptical about the author's thesis on the causation of these things - for example, he claims that discounting pushes drivers into tax and benefit fraud, whereas I would say that these issues are the ones causing the discounting.

Another point brougth out by the article is that a cartel on plate numbers doesn't stop fearsome competition in other regards and/or low wages, at least for those actually doing the driving.

If they allow 'dilapidated' cars then this is probably part of the problem, and I bet they hand out badges like confetti. :-|

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 4:52 am 

RealCabforce wrote:
streetcar wrote:

I do not keep bringing this subject up as you infer. Let's be quite honest about this, I disagreed, like many others, with the treatment skull received from the council, but he omits to tell you that, apart from the other driver involved claiming it was more than a slap, he (skull) practically begged the council to take away his licence for this - they refused.

I freely admit that I dislike skull for continuing his selfish vendetta against authority with no regard for the consequences of his actions. Before anyone says it, this has nothing to do with plate values, it is to do with what I and many others in Edinburgh regard as our livelihoods being threatened.

This is about the plate values and the majority of the trade who are drivers which are not represented and pay over inflated rentals which in turn props up plate premiums. The drivers in other words are pricing themselves out of the market by competing against each other while the vested interest group's win both ways, higher rentals and higher plate premiums.

I know guys that are paying over £330 a week for a drive. I even spoke to one tonight who drives for a guy in central who has 2 full time drivers and his wife driving the car. Both drivers would like to own there own taxi but can't afford to pay £45,000 to buy themselves a job and quite frankly they don't see why they should.

You are in for a shock RealCabforce we have a lot bigger following than you think. The only prospect these guys see of getting a licence plate is through us.

BTW my early retirement is going to start shortly but I am coming back in a couple of months and don't worry you will be the first to hear about it.

You are right it won't be driving a taxi. I'll leave you guessing on that one. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2005 5:30 am 

William Maitland wrote:

I think it was more about drivers etiquette than competition over a fair.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 59 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next