Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Mon Jul 01, 2024 10:13 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:31 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
"Will your council always have the same councillors?

Of course not but having different councillors does not necessarily mean they will have different views. However, again. it is best dealt with at local level. I hope the good relationship between the trade and the council will be as good as it has been with the fantastic support they have officially given so far.

How many meetings took place when B&H last assessed demand? And that was under the old system where customers were ignored.

In time the cost in terms of money and time, will lead to de-limitation nationally. I just wished the Gov had the balls to do it sooner.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:34 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Will your council really want to spend time on further surveys and countless follow up meetings, now including latent demand?

Yes, I have absolutely no doubt about this whatsoever.

And again.. I am not "crowing" about this at all...just presenting the facts.

It's easy to say that, and that the costs of surveys come from the trade, but the work involved behind the scenes is immense.

The new type of surveys will, in my view, double the price of surveys, and lead to a larger amount of new plates being issued.

So why bother, just de-limit, and allow fair competition. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:36 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
Now thankfully, that question will have to be addressed the length and breadth of the country.

Oh the fun we will have on TDO and elsewhere with this one

What YOU can do now is give YOUR reports on YOUR local authority. You can report on here what YOU have done, what YOU are doing, and what progress you are making. And good luck to you as well. If you can strike up a good relationship with YOUR LA and work with them you may finally get what YOU want. You obviously have the time to do this.

When something is worth fighting for, you find the time. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 3:51 pm 
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Says it all doesn't it What a waste of money that was.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:09 pm 

Nidge wrote:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Says it all doesn't it What a waste of money that was.

But then why did the government welcome it?

And I think it also puts an end to any council even thinking about re-restricting. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 4:30 pm 
When the government say,

4. The Government agrees that consumers should enjoy the benefits of competition.in the taxi market and considers that it is detrimental to those seeking entry to a market if it is restricted. The Government is therefore strongly encouraging all those local authorities who still maintain quantity restrictions to remove restrictions as soon as possible. Restrictions should only be retained if there is a strong justification that removal of the restrictions would lead to significant consumer detriment as a result of local conditions.

what do they mean by strongly encourage, and strong justification?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 5:53 pm 
Well Sussex, I am not going to go into a long drawn out, protracted disection of statements of postings on here. I dont have the time. But ultimately it is the "status quo" with the emphasis on the local authorities to justify restriction.

Hopefully we will see proper guide lines as to what needs to be proved, and, where there is significant unmet demand appropriate decisions will be made....AT LOCAL LEVEL. But then I reckon you will still disagree with any results that do not go in your favour :wink:

And dont forget that there is a general election coming as well and if the other get in there will be many delays in government policy over many issues,

Wondering where Dusty is now? Perhaps working on another essay? :wink: Perhaps it will be called "Done and Dustied" :lol:
Scanner

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:11 pm 
i suppose local is the best way when you have councillors owning taxis. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 6:27 pm 
well , well, well ........ you stopped crying yet sussex ???? :D so much for your crowing ay ?? now go find youself a nice p/h site and bore the pants off them with your so called inside knowledge .....HAHAHA.... wont be long ay ?????HAHAHA

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 7:38 pm 
A mature and measured response there! :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:27 pm 

Gentlemen,
Somehow this report looks like all things to all people. Why not read and digest what EXACTLY the report is saying,and perhaps have a good think at precisely what they are not saying. If you were proof scanning all well and good, but this is something that goes way beyond what we have had before. If you think about it Central government appears to passing the buck to local level, so grab the chance now to organise and get in to your councillors and influence your future.
Finally lads lets put aside the petty nonsense and keep the dialogue flowing, something good can still come out of this debacle.
Ged

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:44 pm 
gedmay wrote:
Gentlemen,
Somehow this report looks like all things to all people. Why not read and digest what EXACTLY the report is saying,and perhaps have a good think at precisely what they are not saying. If you were proof scanning all well and good, but this is something that goes way beyond what we have had before. If you think about it Central government appears to passing the buck to local level, so grab the chance now to organise and get in to your councillors and influence your future.
Finally lads lets put aside the petty nonsense and keep the dialogue flowing, something good can still come out of this debacle.
Ged

Well said, less of the gloating please cant see how either side can claim victory in this mess. :roll: :roll:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 8:58 pm 

Absolutely Ged. Well said.

Having read it, I think the picture it portray's is quite sad.

Everyone is crowing that "they" won, but no one has won anything.

In my opinion, it makes de-limitation easier for the Councils who were thinking of de-restricting anyway...

Puts a deterent on those that might think of re-limiting...

And allows those who were vigourously against it, to stay that way.

The word that springs to mind, is: FUDGE.

How typical.

But, I have a feeling in my bones, that Sussex will get his plate.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:09 pm 

Anonymous wrote:
But then I reckon you will still disagree with any results that do not go in your favour :wink:

More than likely. :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2004 10:13 pm 

Liverpool cabbie wrote:
well , well, well ........ you stopped crying yet sussex ???? :D so much for your crowing ay ?? now go find youself a nice p/h site and bore the pants off them with your so called inside knowledge .....HAHAHA.... wont be long ay ?????HAHAHA

Have I stopped crying, well when I start, you will be the first to find out when I stop. :shock:

As for the it wont be long, well my scouse friend, it wont be. :wink:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 127 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9  Next