Taxi Driver Online

UK cab trade debate and advice
It is currently Wed Jul 03, 2024 9:23 am

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:44 pm 
Greenbadgcabby wrote:
Just think Sussex, if you spent about 50% less time on the web you could prob. clean up in 6 months and have the rest of the year off?

Its amazing all the drivers that seem to post entries throughout the evening and small hours, try working a few more nights and then that will really give you something to moan about!

Thats the best one I've heard all year =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 3:58 pm 

Sussex wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Yes of course it would bother me, i have not at any stage said i am for or against restricted plates, it will work in some parts of the country and not others.

Where would you say it would work, and why? :?

I would'nt ,unlike some others my knowledge of the trade over the last 19 years is restricted to London, Hertsmere and and a smattering from Edinburgh.

Now you and some others are clearly pro-de-restriction as it would work in your areas, but i won't and cannot accept the views of a dozen people out of thousands of taxi drivers out there, that your view would work in every license area of Gt Britain.

The only other area i posses a little knowlege is Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath where my parents live, i do know when fife council de-restricted the area's, out of about 80 full time drivers, after 2 years they dwindled to under 30 with around 130 part timers.
I now wait longer for a taxi on the Carneigie rank than i did 3 years ago, so has it worked? well hopefuly a local driver can answer that one.....

Whilst i can't comment on the commiment of all these new Taxi's and drivers, I believe people would naturaly show more commitment to their full time careers.

And can we have a spell check facility put on the forum please?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:03 pm 

TDO wrote:
As for your first paragraph, are you saying that inflated rentals for drivers 'work' in some parts of the country, but not others? :?

As you have read my entry in reply to brighton, sussex, I will not go through it all again, so remove the word 'will' and use might :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:08 pm 

TDO wrote:
[Now your twisting things to say that I have a hang up about the London trade.

But obviously it's just you trying to deflect attention from you DODGING the issue.

Here's what i shall do, I will change my name to 'badgecabby' and for free, yes free, no mark up here, i will give you the word 'Green'. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:09 pm 
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Sussex wrote:
greenbadgecabby wrote:
Yes of course it would bother me, i have not at any stage said i am for or against restricted plates, it will work in some parts of the country and not others.

I would'nt ,unlike some others my knowledge of the trade over the last 19 years is restricted to London, Hertsmere and and a smattering from Edinburgh.

Now you and some others are clearly pro-de-restriction as it would work in your areas, but i won't and cannot accept the views of a dozen people out of thousands of taxi drivers out there, that your view would work in every license area of Gt Britain.

The only other area i posses a little knowlege is Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath where my parents live, i do know when fife council de-restricted the area's, out of about 80 full time drivers, after 2 years they dwindled to under 30 with around 130 part timers.
I now wait longer for a taxi on the Carneigie rank than i did 3 years ago, so has it worked? well hopefuly a local driver can answer that one.....

Whilst i can't comment on the commiment of all these new Taxi's and drivers, I believe people would naturaly show more commitment to their full time careers.

And can we have a spell check facility put on the forum please?

Perhaps all the other Councils will follow Brighton Councils decision on a managed growth policy. :D :D :D :D :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:11 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Thats the best one I've heard all year =D> =D> =D> =D> =D> =D>

Looking at your mug, you may well be correct. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 4:13 pm 

Anyway time to crank up the cab, another 9 hours lie ahead :) Old TDO should be getting in from his dayshift soon, speak tomorrow :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 6:21 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
[The only other area i posses a little knowlege is Dunfermline and Cowdenbeath where my parents live, i do know when fife council de-restricted the area's, out of about 80 full time drivers, after 2 years they dwindled to under 30 with around 130 part timers.

If its anything like many other areas in Scotland then there was probably a problem with hired plates, which means the taxi is operating illegally and the insurance policy is invalid.

Places like Inverness and Dundee were riddled with them and thats one of the reasons that the both uncapped numbers. Even an official Dundee City Council report said that there up to half of the city's taxis could be operating in this way.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:29 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Just think Sussex, if you spent about 50% less time on the web you could prob. clean up in 6 months and have the rest of the year off?

Its amazing all the drivers that seem to post entries throughout the evening and small hours, try working a few more nights and then that will really give you something to moan about!

Thanks for the advice, but how do you know that I'm not in the 6 months rest period having cleaned up in the previous 6 months? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:35 pm 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
Sussex wrote:

I fully understand you don't know the full inns and outs of the entire country, and I'm not sure anyone does, apart from maybe JD. :shock:

So that deals with the where, but why should a restricted area be better for the public than a un-restricted area? :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:36 pm 

Nidge wrote:
Perhaps all the other Councils will follow Brighton Councils decision on a managed growth policy. :D :D :D :D :D

You mean the policy that led to some mush having to wait 26 years for a plate? :sad:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 7:55 pm 
Sussex wrote:
You mean the policy that led to some mush having to wait 26 years for a plate?

Then turn one down when he's offered one because he's earning to much money on PH :lol: :lol: :lol: It's funny old game is this Taxi business. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jan 09, 2005 11:53 pm 

Sussex wrote:
So that deals with the where, but why should a restricted area be better for the public than a un-restricted area? :?

Well taking Dunfermline as the only example i have any personal experience of as a customer, before the free for all was authorised, the trade was made up of full time drivers or busineses (when this spell check arrives i'll be happy) who provided a professional dedicated service 24 hours a day, some shared their cars but in the main they were owner drivers. (i have no idea if the plates were free or not)

Now then all these part time drivers and cars appear, firemen, dockyard workers etc, and push some of the long term drivers out, thus diminishing the service.

Then some of these part time guys decide its boring, hand their plates back and again a shortage occurs.

Now you would think after that some of the part timers would go full time to meet the lack of service and presumably extra cash thats floating around, but to date they have'nt and the waiting times during the busy times have increased.

Now i'm not questioning the professionalism of part timers, god knows London has enough, mainly about 78 yrs old, who do a sterling job, but if you have a full time job that pays the mortgage, i would assume that would take priority, and as Dunfermline has demonstrated the public has suffered.

I know little about the rest of the country and of what prevails locally to yourselve(s)

And if you are on your 6 month break, all i can say its a good time of year not to be sitting in a taxi if my day was anything to go by.

. . . . . JD might know a lot about he trade?? How can you not mention TDO, he knows all! Does'nt he? :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:31 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:

I think it's what the politically correct call the work/life balance or something like that!

If you have a wife and family, and still get on with them :? then I don't suppose you want to be working every night, or you'll never see them.

So I suppose many like working days, even if it's not so lucrative, so that they can stay at home...and spend their time in front of the computer!!

As regards the people posting in the small hours, I thought that was the night drivers, it certainly is me!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 3:49 am 

greenbadgecabby wrote:
So again why are London takings an Issue? :?

Well I wouldn't perhaps elevate it to the status of an 'issue' or even with a capital I, in the sense that it's hugely controversial or anything like that.

What I mean by dodging the issue and suchlike could perhaps be paraphrased as avoiding the question or suchlike.

As regards the actual question or issue or debating point ( :) ), you'll recall that you said:

Gosh you make it sound like working London is a breeze?

I'm still not really sure how you thought I took that view, but you also mentioned emmisions rules, the cost of a PB cab and the 25,000 other drivers.

In reply I said:

Despite the number of drivers, I suspect you are still capable of earning a lot more than any other taxi drivers in the UK.

Thus the matter was a debating point, rather than an issue, but you gave the impression that you were trying to dodge it from this point onwards, in my opinion at least.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 328 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next